Banned
Banned
First Name
Anonymous
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I ordered the A51 color and now I'm thinking of changing it to black, since a friend who owns a body shop told me that black (news to me) is probably the strongest paint. 🤔??
I'd take that with a grain of salt when choosing your vehicle's color. It doesn't mean certain colors aren't going to have problems though, but the reason for those problems can be varied.
Sponsored

Coachman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd take that with a grain of salt when choosing your vehicle's color. It doesn't mean certain colors aren't going to have problems though, but the reason for those problems can be varied.
You are probably right, Sandstorm, maybe I'd just be better off getting the front end wrapped and call it a day. 👍

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another lite product coating product I haven’t used but have read great things about: Gyeon CanCoat. It’s easier to apply than CQuartz lite but has a little less durability from what I understand. Something for folks to look into if they’re interested.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
Man I hate to see that happening.

Sorry Dude, I know how that makes stomach turn over when it happens on a brand new vehicle. 🙁
UGH! Please say it isnt so! I naively thought paint was a universal and figured out. My 2013 VW jetta is still perfect after 9 years and 10s of thousands of interstate high speed driving. NO chips on hood. may have to do the paint protection wrap after all as this is a 'til it dies' car for me

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
You are probably right, Sandstorm, maybe I'd just be better off getting the front end wrapped and call it a day. 👍
may be worth ceramic coating if the warranty covers chips

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered the A51 color and now I'm thinking of changing it to black, since a friend who owns a body shop told me that black (news to me) is probably the strongest paint. 🤔??
Black looks nice but a real PITA to keep clean and shows every imperfection. Everyone should own a black car or truck once. :ROFLMAO:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Black looks nice but a real PITA to keep clean and shows every imperfection. Everyone should own a black car or truck once. :ROFLMAO:
I owned a '08 F150 that was black and it always looked great for the first 15 minutes after getting washed! 😕☹🤣

Last edited:

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How hard is PPF to put on and not goof up? Is it something that can be DIYed and look decent on the first try or two? It kinda looks like a vinyl wrap almost in the videos I have seen.

First Name
Saurabh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
How hard is PPF to put on and not goof up? Is it something that can be DIYed and look decent on the first try or two? It kinda looks like a vinyl wrap almost in the videos I have seen.
I'm also looking into this but what I've found from reading online is if it's precut it should be doable. Some spots with curves n bends are tricky like side mirrors. But pre cut PPF almost costs the same as getting it installed from 3rd party and kinda defeats the purpose. Cutting it yourself precisely is tough I think.

Redwun

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It appears the Maverick may be plagued by an issue very common with the Bronco Sport. Three pit marks / rock chips in the front end of my vehicle already after just 400 miles.

0778A486-B301-4369-A76B-1BC663B729C2.jpeg

56BB7F6B-6027-4F41-B7DD-000ABD40DE83.jpeg

BD9B10EA-1F0E-41D7-AB79-74A98FBD1975.jpeg
Glad I ordered the plastic sheet for protection, now considering other options as well. I did order the Bushwacker fender flares (it is 1.5” of additional coverage)

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I really want to go with A51 or Cactus Gray, but I will likely go with Oxford White. Easy to paint match, been around forever, and pretty timeless (and boring).

may be worth ceramic coating if the warranty covers chips
Ceracote doesn't do much for rock chips. Think of it as a really long-lasting wax job.

If you're patient and not susceptible to back problems or cussing, it might be worth a try. It also depends on the type of film. Thicker films are more difficult to stretch over all the curves and contours.

My favorite so far is Lamin-X PPF (not regular Lamin-X). It's on the thinner side, but it is easy enough to apply and it has a low-tack adhesive. Think of it as a giant clear Post-It note. It lasts about three years with regular waxing and peels off cleanly. I'd say it's easy enough for a beginner if you watch a few videos and start with a small piece such as the Invisible Bug Shield kit. I wouldn't go for a full bumper kit right out of the gate.

I've used 3M VentureShield (red label) and Xpel and wouldn't recommend it unless you have previous experience or someone experienced helping you.

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I found debris in the paint when my car arrived. It looks like dirt or dust and it was baked into the clearcoat. I asked my local Ford dealer and they offered to repaint my roof and trunk. There were lots of s550 mustang owners with paint defects when their cars arrived.
My 2019 Tacoma was the same way. They repainted the tailgate under warranty.

Gunner6160

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4 and 2014 Touareg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not what I want to see. This is disturbing
you are correct. I ordered mine which came in first week in October. They refused the x plan pricing which I had thru DAV. They added 993 for maintenance for life, 99 for door cup guards, and window tint (we add that to all our vehicles). They tried to add 3000 market adjustment but I said we will go to court over that. Got it removed. Pondering whether or not to involve attorney general's office for bait and switch tactics. Don't need more BS in my life.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
you are correct. I ordered mine which came in first week in October. They refused the x plan pricing which I had thru DAV. They added 993 for maintenance for life, 99 for door cup guards, and window tint (we add that to all our vehicles). They tried to add 3000 market adjustment but I said we will go to court over that. Got it removed. Pondering whether or not to involve attorney general's office for bait and switch tactics. Don't need more BS in my life.
Funny how some of the windows are tinted from the factory and yet they need to add more tint to it. Screw all these shady dealers and their tactics.
Sponsored

Last edited: