First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had a few (at 3200 miles now) on the leading edges of my white lariat hybrid……hood, bumper, fender, roof. I applied PPF to the most exposed areas. The good news…..the Ford white touchup paint matches so well that I can’t tell where the chips were!
Bonus 👍 Where did you get the touch up paint ?
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m very picky about paint chips. The front bumper of the Maverick is wide open for chips.

To fix small chips in the paint I’ve collected probably a 1/2 dozen size cheap tiny artist paint brushes to fix little paint chips. In the bigger chips I use what is called a “painter’s GLAZE…it is a little like Bondo but comes in a tube and apply it usually with a finger tip until it’s smooth….when it fills the hole and “totally” dries it creates a tiny concave surface of the chip (on purpose) where you can then apply the “matching” color paint with the appropriate size artist‘s paint brush…filling in the dimple the glaze leaves, usually takes several coats of color paint, dried between each coat….let colored paint dry for 4 or 5 days, then take a light “rubbing compound” to softly level the applied color paint chip surface….followed by the clear coat…>

The tricky part is applying the ”clear coat” ….but you do it the same way but with a very light multiple coats of “clear coat’, dried between coats…(Patients)

I fixed a half dozen chips in the front bumper of the Porsche to the left and you’d be hard pressed to find any of them. Did all the chips at one time, to save drying time.

Fixing a chip with a spray can does not work. The worst mistake others and I make is applying tooooooo much paint….thin coats, and dry between coats. Patients!

There’s several after market paint suppliers that sell matching paint in “finger nail polish size bottles”…for a fraction of what a Ford dealer sells the matching paint…Amazon is a good source….FYI - stick with original model OEM paint….for your MY and model vehicle. A little bottle of Clear Coat is usually included with the better mail order OEM matching paint suppliers. You don’t order “blue”, you order “Velosity Blue - 2022 Ford Maverick”…there is a big difference in “blues”, from year to year.

………….and never stay behind a dump truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GramsMav

First Name
Terri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Hey Mavericks , I hear( read) about some paint chip issues. Where are you all seeing this happen ? On the hood ? Just trying to see if I can do something to prevent it on mine . Thanks !
My chips are right at the start of the hood. If you look to where the wipers sink down in, some how right along the edge I now have like five good sized chips along that edge. Not from rocks...or I would likely have more dings along the hood and I have none.

PlanoJoe

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat with luxury package
Hey Mavericks , I hear( read) about some paint chip issues. Where are you all seeing this happen ? On the hood ? Just trying to see if I can do something to prevent it on mine . Thanks !
I have a ceramic coating on mine and no issues with paint chips so far

ParagonDetail

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.purveyorsofshine.com
Vehicle(s)
22’ Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I might be biased being a trained technician but I only repair rock chips with Dr. Colorchip. I’ve tried OEM paint pens in the past and have had really mixed results.

Find your paint code or type in year make and model and they will do the rest.

Paint is OEM, made to match, with the clear already mixed in. Plenty of different packages to fit your price range but I recommend getting the Squirt and Squeegee Plus so you have the tools for future jobs.

(This Dodge Was Diamond Black Crystal and the touch up had beautiful diamond metallic crystals in it. Was a perfect match)

Ford Maverick Paint Chips Prevention 90E9E28C-46A7-4482-A8BE-647B95D55F33
Ford Maverick Paint Chips Prevention 86F597B5-EF39-4B71-9D12-A32F8DCC7328

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m very picky about paint chips. The front bumper of the Maverick is wide open for chips.

To fix small chips in the paint I’ve collected probably a 1/2 dozen size cheap tiny artist paint brushes to fix little paint chips. In the bigger chips I use what is called a “painter’s GLAZE…it is a little like Bondo but comes in a tube and apply it usually with a finger tip until it’s smooth….when it fills the hole and “totally” dries it creates a tiny concave surface of the chip (on purpose) where you can then apply the “matching” color paint with the appropriate size artist‘s paint brush…filling in the dimple the glaze leaves, usually takes several coats of color paint, dried between each coat….let colored paint dry for 4 or 5 days, then take a light “rubbing compound” to softly level the applied color paint chip surface….followed by the clear coat…>

The tricky part is applying the ”clear coat” ….but you do it the same way but with a very light multiple coats of “clear coat’, dried between coats…(Patients)

I fixed a half dozen chips in the front bumper of the Porsche to the left and you’d be hard pressed to find any of them. Did all the chips at one time, to save drying time.

Fixing a chip with a spray can does not work. The worst mistake others and I make is applying tooooooo much paint….thin coats, and dry between coats. Patients!

There’s several after market paint suppliers that sell matching paint in “finger nail polish size bottles”…for a fraction of what a Ford dealer sells the matching paint…Amazon is a good source….FYI - stick with original model OEM paint….for your MY and model vehicle. A little bottle of Clear Coat is usually included with the better mail order OEM matching paint suppliers. You don’t order “blue”, you order “Velosity Blue - 2022 Ford Maverick”…there is a big difference in “blues”, from year to year.

………….and never stay behind a dump truck.
patience, not patients.

Chicago Mike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shadow Black Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just had PPF installed on entire bumper, mirrors and door cups To hopefully protect from chips. Already have the hood deflector. I recommend Tint City if you have one locally, their guarantee is honored nationwide at all their shops.

Sponsored

PaidEMS

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Saab 9-3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I took a trip from Alabama to North Dakota and back, highway driving. I had 5 chips to repair on the front edge of the hood. I covered the chips with touch up paint and also bought the hood protector, which I haven't put on yet. I figure I will deal with the chips with paint until I'm ready to install the protector someday. The protector is form fitted to the contour, so in my opinion it probably won't do much as deflecting rather than just covering up. What I might do it wait for a company to produce the upright version of the deflector for the Mav. There is a company that makes one for the Ranger that's mounted upright.

bug 2.jpg
Check out AVS Bugdeflector II Bugshield. Realtruck sells them. Seems to comer the edge of the fenders too. Very few pictures online. A couple in the forum have them, but hard to find. Pictures are only from the front.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I might be biased being a trained technician but I only repair rock chips with Dr. Colorchip. I’ve tried OEM paint pens in the past and have had really mixed results.

Find your paint code or type in year make and model and they will do the rest.

Paint is OEM, made to match, with the clear already mixed in. Plenty of different packages to fit your price range but I recommend getting the Squirt and Squeegee Plus so you have the tools for future jobs.

(This Dodge Was Diamond Black Crystal and the touch up had beautiful diamond metallic crystals in it. Was a perfect match)

90E9E28C-46A7-4482-A8BE-647B95D55F33.jpeg
86F597B5-EF39-4B71-9D12-A32F8DCC7328.jpeg
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered. Get my truck Friday so the timing on this is great!

dibrowz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV, Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've never had a car with paint protection film PPF. Do I want to be careful and not get wax on the film when washing/waxing? I use a spray wax and it might be tricky to keep it off of the film. I am hoping to hear that I can just wax the PPF along with the rest of the truck.

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about the deflector also . I've never been a fan of them , but definitely don't want chips all over my Oxford White hood .👍
Perhaps it might be easier to just tell everyone your paint color is "chocolate-chip ice cream white"...

Ford Maverick Paint Chips Prevention chocolate-chip-ice-cream-3

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yipes 😱.....the deflector on the Ford accessories site is $80 . Not bad at all to protect the hood . I'll definitely be getting one !
I also put some 3m vinyl protector on the front fender corners which the hood protector doesn’t cover
Sponsored