First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thing we have to remember is that the SC is Hyundai's only truck. Not only is it competing with the Maverick, but it's also competing with the mid-size trucks (most likely it's Asian counterparts in the Frontier and Tacoma specifically). The problem is Hyundai put themselves in a corner by showcasing the prototype and announcing the vehicle's production 5(?) years ago. The automotive industry new about the SC. The Mav was only really followed by curious minds over the past several years who've followed all the test mule picture leaks back when the name was rumored to be Courier/Ranchero (heck, who remembers it was "leaked" that it was supposed to be based and built off of the Transit Connect platform?). The SC was a long time coming to where they had to reveal the final product before the Maverick to prevent further scrutiny, despite Ford bringing back the Ranger, Nissan revealing the redesigned Frontier, Ford announcing the F-150 Lightning EV, and finally Ford coming out weeks after the SC's debut as a direct competitor. Nissan's only truck is competing with truck market in the US that has drastically changed since the 2016 concept.

I personally think the SC is nice, much better looking than the old concept truck. It has a lot of potential already (style, towing, and power) as well as missteps (payload, price, and rear/bed space). I hope Hyundai gets it all squared away and sorted out so we can have the competition that benefits us consumers.
I’m interested in your POV. Are you thinking more competition will lead to better pricing?
Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
I’m interested in your POV. Are you thinking more competition will lead to better pricing?
I think more competition will lead, most importantly, to more options and selection. The more options there are in this reborn segment, the more manufacturers will compete to have the best price. For example, there are plenty of us who would go for an AWD hybrid. While Ford probably is looking into it, a Santa Cruz or Chevy mini truck with one would encourage Ford to expedite the process a bit.

Look at the CUV segment today compared to how it was 10-15 years ago. There is a CUV nowadays for every person for all styles and need. There seems to be more crossovers than sedans, too. If the small truck segment stays long term, more manufacturers will join in. Us that want AWD hybrids will see those appears. Those that want crew cab variants will see those appear. Those that want high performance speed demons will see those appear. Right now, we're limited to what Ford and Hyundai are offering. What's available isn't bad, just limited in diversity as this segment need to prove itself before those other options appear.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The thing we have to remember is that the SC is Hyundai's only truck. Not only is it competing with the Maverick, but it's also competing with the mid-size trucks (most likely it's Asian counterparts in the Frontier and Tacoma specifically). The problem is Hyundai put themselves in a corner by showcasing the prototype and announcing the vehicle's production 5(?) years ago. The automotive industry new about the SC. The Mav was only really followed by curious minds over the past several years who've followed all the test mule picture leaks back when the name was rumored to be Courier/Ranchero (heck, who remembers it was "leaked" that it was supposed to be based and built off of the Transit Connect platform?). The SC was a long time coming to where they had to reveal the final product before the Maverick to prevent further scrutiny, despite Ford bringing back the Ranger, Nissan revealing the redesigned Frontier, Ford announcing the F-150 Lightning EV, and finally Ford coming out weeks after the SC's debut as a direct competitor. Nissan's only truck is competing with truck market in the US that has drastically changed since the 2016 concept.

I personally think the SC is nice, much better looking than the old concept truck. It has a lot of potential already (style, towing, and power) as well as missteps (payload, price, and rear/bed space). I hope Hyundai gets it all squared away and sorted out so we can have the competition that benefits us consumers.
Nissan has 2 trucks in US market. Frontier and Titan.

OP
OP
Dbarr

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think more competition will lead, most importantly, to more options and selection. The more options there are in this reborn segment, the more manufacturers will compete to have the best price. For example, there are plenty of us who would go for an AWD hybrid. While Ford probably is looking into it, a Santa Cruz or Chevy mini truck with one would encourage Ford to expedite the process a bit.

Look at the CUV segment today compared to how it was 10-15 years ago. There is a CUV nowadays for every person for all styles and need. There seems to be more crossovers than sedans, too. If the small truck segment stays long term, more manufacturers will join in. Us that want AWD hybrids will see those appears. Those that want crew cab variants will see those appear. Those that want high performance speed demons will see those appear. Right now, we're limited to what Ford and Hyundai are offering. What's available isn't bad, just limited in diversity as this segment need to prove itself before those other options appear.
Again, interested in your POV. I would assume (I know), that you are buying a Mav. With the info you provided above, would you be trading up for say a 2024 AWD hybrid should that be offered or would you wait for your normal replacement cycle.
I am 64, and I am running out of time to wait around for the latest and greatest. For me, the Maverick XLT scratches a lot of inches. I perceive this a my last truck (that I give to m grandson in about 7 years)… TY

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Again, interested in your POV. I would assume (I know), that you are buying a Mav. With the info you provided above, would you be trading up for say a 2024 AWD hybrid should that be offered or would you wait for your normal replacement cycle.
I am 64, and I am running out of time to wait around for the latest and greatest. For me, the Maverick XLT scratches a lot of inches. I perceive this a my last truck (that I give to m grandson in about 7 years)… TY
If my Focus would have lasted longer, I wouldn't be waiting. However, I ended up with a new 2020 Escape a few months ago, so I'm actually waiting a cycle or two before I pull the trigger. For me, waiting and allowing the market to take shape will actually benefit me.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

L

Lets quash that lie, a Ford fanboy, put out about the Santa Cruz. It's payload is: 1,400 lbs. Not only can you tow 5,000 lbs. off the back off it, but 1,400 lbs. in the back of it. With a self leveling suspension and a tow stability system.
You're replying to a post from 2021 when Hyundai hadn't clarified the payload stuff and had mispoken in a release about the 600 lb thing.

Calm down.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would buy a Santa Cruz in a heart beat if I needed a truck right now today. I do not so I continue to wait for a Maverick that may or may not ever come in. We have had great luck with Hyundai and would have no qualms about getting one. I just like the looks of the Mav a lot more than the SC.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Calm as can be. Yet, some are only going to look at just this post ( there are more out there ), and see an inaccurate 600 figure, and base their decision on this. Also Hyundai never posted, wrote nor spoke to a 660 lb payload capacity.
Actually, I mispoke. Hyundai didn't take it back -- they said it clearly in the owner's manual. Page 6-75 of the 2022 Santa Cruz owner's manual clearly states you should never put more than 661 lbs in the bed of the Santa Cruz.
Ford Maverick Santa Cruz, really??? 1E611F7C-28FE-4DD1-A78A-1BC3A38BE945

What they later clarified was that number was meant to assume 4-5 adults riding in the vehicle, but the number came from Hyundai, not "ford fanboys."

Last edited:

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lets quash that lie, a Ford fanboy, put out about the Santa Cruz.
Joined this Maverick site last Tuesday, calls himself CoolCruz, only posts up to this point are exclusively about the SC.

Who is the fanboy here again?

Sponsored

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
Undecided
I would consider a Honda Ridgeline if orders seem to be going south with the Maverick. Maybe a little bit bigger than you were going for but also a unibody.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yunday. Kia. Used Yugo.
I would go with the Yugo.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes they had to. Because people were not reading what they posted above that: "Including occupants." And Maverick owners ran with that. Even on other recent postings.
The warning did not say "including occupants." Hyundai had to clarify because folks read Hyundai's official materials and repeated what was said,

And it wasn't "Maverick owners." No one owned a Maverick when this hit the news.Journalists repeated the 661 lb number because it came from official Hyundai materials.

Hyundai screwed up in their own promotional stuff, and you want to blame Maverick owners because it doesn't fit your own fanboy narrative. Just stop.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lets quash that lie, a Ford fanboy, put out about the Santa Cruz. It's payload is: 1,400lbs.
Can you give me a link to a good Santa Cruz forum? I wanna join one so I can clear up any "misinformation" that the Santa Cruz owners might be spreading about the Maverick. :LOL:

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It looks like a really good product for the right buyer. Someone who doesn't need a ton of payload (bed payload is limited to 660lbs) but likes extra power and isn't bothered by low 20s MPG. Someone who likes a SUV/CUV interior with all the latest tech Hyundai has to offer. Someone who isn't price sensitive and likes the styling of the SC. I think it looks pretty good, like a modern day Subaru Baja with some Korean styling flair. I think anyone buying one will be really happy, and Hyundai/Kia really has ride quality and interior comfort down - I bet the SC will be quieter inside going down the road than the Maverick. I think Santa Cruz buyers will be more upscale, and appreciate not driving the same truck as the fleet trucks that will be everywhere once the Maverick has been out for a while. It's a different mentality, and I get it.

But for most people, 40mpg combined in the hybrid, a slightly longer bed with no specific bed payload limit, the cheaper pricing before incentives and dealer adjustments, and the work Ford has put into making the bed as functional as possible / making the cabin as clever as possible (I love that they thought of making the interior door handles to work to hold a bicycle inside with the front wheel off) makes the Maverick a more compelling buy. But I'm glad both exist. It's nice to have options, competition breeds better products, and I think this category of truck is exactly what people want and need.
I like your thinking... and I have written a few MTC comparisons (https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ck-comparison-with-pictures.26810/post-502812) to my 2022 Phantom Black SC Limited while I considered and owned Maverick 2022 First Ed Rapid Red w 4k tow and the Lux package SOLD it. I still have a 2022 Alto Blue Lariat Lux w 2k Tow - no tonneau cover, Spray in Liner... I love its mileage. However, I like the SC for all of the creature features inside, and the NO DISCONNECT interface with iPhone. This issue drives me crazy with the Ford Sync interface - so frustrating. If I were to attach a Tow kit- I can tow more than the 2.0 EcoBoost Maverick; however, I think the Maverick, built to tow, would perform much better. I simply do not need to tow anything.

Also, since I am approaching the end of my "driving days" ("might" happen within 8-10 years unfortunately, but maybe not) I liked the overall security of the Hyundai warranty. SO MUCH BETTER than domestic Auto builders.
Sponsored

Last edited: