First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is a much better choice over the Santa Cruz for the following reasons:
1) price
2) payload and 4K towing package
3) the only pickup brand for me is Ford
4) the Santa Cruz looks like an SUV that had an accident that lost part of its top (LOL)
🤔So your are one of those “I’d rather push a Ford guys” 😳
Bet it would look good in Dark Green and Gold too
Sponsored

Oakland

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has been building pick-up trucks for something like 400 years. I think this is Hyundai's first try at any pick-up truck....ever. It looks like they're using stuff from the parts bin. Hyundai makes good vehicles, but I don't see staying power with their newest offering. As the vehicle stands today, I give it 5 years.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Ford has been building pick-up trucks for something like 400 years. I think this is Hyundai's first try at any pick-up truck....ever. It looks like they're using stuff from the parts bin. Hyundai makes good vehicles, but I don't see staying power with their newest offering. As the vehicle stands today, I give it 5 years.
Something isn't right here. 🧐

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
If I was spending 35-40k I would def choose the Santa Cruz. More features, more power, way nicer interior. However I am only spending 25k, so the maverick is a better deal in that price range.
See thats what gets me is, at 40k, I could get a fulllllly loaded maverick, and i mean literally anything you would need and some and still have money left over to travel and stay in another state for the weekend. Its really hard to imagine anyone seriously considering SC unless its an aesthetic thing

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

See thats what gets me is, at 40k, I could get a fulllllly loaded maverick, and i mean literally anything you would need and some and still have money left over to travel and stay in another state for the weekend. Its really hard to imagine anyone seriously considering SC unless its an aesthetic thing
Fully loaded maverick is ~42k, which is about the same as fully loaded SC since, given hyundai's approach of packages/ trims vs add-on options. The value of maverick is at the bottom end up to the lower middle of the lineup. When you get to the top trims, the delta shrinks dramatically and may even flip

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was 50/50 between the Maverick and Santa Cruz, leaning Santa Cruz earlier on as I like the bolder styling, better payload (1748 pounds) and towing (3500/5000 pounds), more upscale interior, better warranty, more power and better standard features. In the end once Ford released specs and pricing for the Maverick and that Hybrid was standard, my basic truck instinct gravitated to the dollar value scenario more so than the extra. Even if its exactly what I paid for, it makes financial sense for my business.

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Fully loaded maverick is ~42k, which is about the same as fully loaded SC since, given hyundai's approach of packages/ trims vs add-on options. The value of maverick is at the bottom end up to the lower middle of the lineup. When you get to the top trims, the delta shrinks dramatically and may even flip

Perhaps we are lookin at different things, but the sheet that compares the SC and Mav says fully loaded MSRP for mav is 36700 (+shipping i imagine) and SC is 40.9k (= shipping i imagine again.) If you grab literally everything like cargo net to special ash tray perhaps, but unless im mistaken, fully loaded implies all options outside of "accessories" like ash tray or med kit.

Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Y
Perhaps we are lookin at different things, but the sheet that compares the SC and Mav says fully loaded MSRP for mav is 36700 (+shipping i imagine) and SC is 40.9k (= shipping i imagine again.) If you grab literally everything like cargo net to special ash tray perhaps, but unless im mistaken, fully loaded implies all options outside of "accessories" like ash tray or med kit.
Yeah that's what I was referring to as in ticking all the boxes, which you probably (and who knows for sure since hyundai still has no configurator, but based on how they run their other models) don't need to do with SC.

Also, I remembered the number wrong, it is $40,640 for a totally loaded maverick, as discussed here:

https://carbuzz.com/news/a-fully-loaded-ford-maverick-costs-just-over-40000

You would still probably get better/ more niceties with a SC limited but I don't think that is probably what most maverick buyers are concerned about

Spence

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Y

Yeah that's what I was referring to as in ticking all the boxes, which you probably (and who knows for sure since hyundai still has no configurator, but based on how they run their other models) don't need to do with SC.

Also, I remembered the number wrong, it is $40,640 for a totally loaded maverick, as discussed here:

https://carbuzz.com/news/a-fully-loaded-ford-maverick-costs-just-over-40000

You would still probably get better/ more niceties with a SC limited but I don't think that is probably what most maverick buyers are concerned about
ahhhh i see i see, yes that makes a tad more sense. I agree.

BARTMAVERICK

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
The thing we have to remember is that the SC is Hyundai's only truck. Not only is it competing with the Maverick, but it's also competing with the mid-size trucks (most likely it's Asian counterparts in the Frontier and Tacoma specifically). The problem is Hyundai put themselves in a corner by showcasing the prototype and announcing the vehicle's production 5(?) years ago. The automotive industry new about the SC. The Mav was only really followed by curious minds over the past several years who've followed all the test mule picture leaks back when the name was rumored to be Courier/Ranchero (heck, who remembers it was "leaked" that it was supposed to be based and built off of the Transit Connect platform?). The SC was a long time coming to where they had to reveal the final product before the Maverick to prevent further scrutiny, despite Ford bringing back the Ranger, Nissan revealing the redesigned Frontier, Ford announcing the F-150 Lightning EV, and finally Ford coming out weeks after the SC's debut as a direct competitor. Nissan's Hyundai's only truck is competing with truck market in the US that has drastically changed since the 2016 concept.

I personally think the SC is nice, much better looking than the old concept truck. It has a lot of potential already (style, towing, and power) as well as missteps (payload, price, and rear/bed space). I hope Hyundai gets it all squared away and sorted out so we can have the competition that benefits us consumers.
Sponsored

Last edited: