Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fiction #1 "never in my 30 years heard of price protection or protected date"

Fiction #2 "cant believe the internet"

Fiction #3 "Trump won the election"

I got my protected date financing once ford put him in his place. I didnt even argue protected price as it was only a $200 difference and it already took everything I had to not walk out after the Trump comment.

Will NEVER be back. Love my truck but will also NEVER buy Ford again.

To be clear, this was the sales manager not sales person. Sales person was great. Too bad he works for idiots.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s obviously not acting like a typical depreciating asset if it gains value driving it off the lot. There are plenty of people justifying the markup based on budgetary cost savings. I’m sure I’m not the only one in this boat.

When I first test drove what is my zero option maverick xl this summer (sticker 20k) the dealer wanted $38,000! When the order banks opened for MY23 I ordered an XLT hybrid just because that was what seemed to be the most likely way I’d get one based on allocations forecasted. Sticker is 26k, I received confirmation from ford right after the window was opened.

As the saga rolled out and there was talk of MY22 rollovers and continued parts shortage, nevermind the ever present Ukrainian/Russian potential for upheaval I decided to seriously consider paying markup so I could start saving money.

I ended up paying I little over 10k over sticker, but less than 5k over the truck I have on order. My first full month on the road I saved almost $1000 in fuel costs alone. My markup will be recouped far before the ordered vehicle is built.

The problem in this whole situation is the clash of the needs and the wants. The maverick brought people into the truck market who weren’t usually in it, or wouldn’t be in it for a new truck now (the wants). They are up against people who need a truck for their livelihood and are being crippled by inflation and fuel prices (the needs). The market is working just as it should.
That is because Johnny5 AI had been overpaying over at Carvana and other sites. If real people paying with their own money had to assume the risk the market wouldn't have spiked like it did.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Fiction #1 "never in my 30 years heard of price protection or protected date"

Fiction #2 "cant believe the internet"

Fiction #3 "Trump won the election"

I got my protected date financing once ford put him in his place. I didnt even argue protected price as it was only a $200 difference and it already took everything I had to not walk out after the Trump comment.

Will NEVER be back. Love my truck but will also NEVER buy Ford again.

To be clear, this was the sales manager not sales person. Sales person was great. Too bad he works for idiots.
At least #3 was right.

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are really 2 schools of thought here: Capitalism vs Christianity (or morality).

Capitalism is all about supply, demand, & maximum profit. If demand is low & supply is high, prices go down; if demand is high & supply is low, prices go up. If you don't like that, you don't like pure capitalism.

Christianity says (literally), "Do to others as you would have them do to you." If the guy in front of you buys the last 3 loaves of bread, just so he can resell them for an extra $2, is that good? It's legal, but is it good? Similarly, if someone buys an extra 3 Mavericks just to resell them for more and keeps 3 other people from ordering one exactly as they want/need it at MSRP, it's legal, but is it good? It doesn't really fit the "Do to others as you'd have them do to you" rule, does it? No one said being a Christian (or a good guy) was easy.

Dealers (unlike flippers) provide a service: traditionally, they have many vehicles on the lot for me to test drive & choose from and allow me to get a vehicle the day I want it. IMO, businesses that make a profit but still do to others as they'd want done to them are the best for our economy & culture.
The dealer I ordered through touts their 3rd generation Family-run dealership and the family's Christian values on their website, however any Maverick they get on their lot is marked up $5-10K. They are so bad that they were the subject of a crazy markups thread here a while back.

Sponsored

emkobg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As far as I know the new CEO does not want Ford to mass produce vehicles and pile them on dealer lots. This way the demand is bigger than the supply and the manufacturer no longer has to put out rebates or any type of incentives. There are some high demand vehicles such as Maverick, Super Duty, Mach-E, Lightning and Transit that take longer to produce and are in extremely high demand. Therefore the dealer marks those up. Just like any business a dealer is trying to maximize profits, while working with very limited inventory. On the other hand, you as a consumer can negotiate. No dealer will let you walk away from a reasonable deal. And at the end of the day if you don't want to pay the market adjustments, you don't have to buy right there and then. You can simply wait until the next go around and order yourself one, guaranteed you will get it at Market SUGGESTED Retail Price, once it's build and delivered.
Every year there is a price increase on new vehicle MSRP. As a matter of fact vehicles produced in the second half of the year have higher base price than the ones produced early. That is due to raising production costs, inflation and the political climate worldwide. Adding cruise control, or making the EcoBoost standard AWD surely have something to do with the price increases, but at the end of the day the difference between MSRP and invoice on a XL is only $300. The manufacturer is allowed to make profit on their hottest product and so is the retailer. And if you don't agree with the mark ups, maybe it is not for you 🤷‍♂️

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dealer I ordered through touts their 3rd generation Family-run dealership and the family's Christian values on their website, however any Maverick they get on their lot is marked up $5-10K. They are so bad that they were the subject of a crazy markups thread here a while back.
My daughter went to buy a Kia Telluride in Wilmington, NC, and the dealer she visited marks every Telluride up $10k. And they all get bought quickly.

As I said, I don't mind dealers marking stuff up, because they have overhead and are trying to make a profit. I guess the struggle for a "Christian" dealership is: how much is enough/too much? That's a tough one.

I won't defend/condemn your dealer since I know nothing about them. If emkobg is right (previous comment) that "the difference between MSRP and invoice on a XL is only $300 " a $3k-$5k markup seems reasonable given the demand. $10k seems excessive. But if they're selling 50% less vehicles now, maybe they need the money...I don't know.

Grabber Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Focus wagon 06 Silverado 4x4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See the post below yours. I work for a dealer and think the markups are BS. MSRP or below is what people have paid for decades. Due to extremely short new car volume dealers were somewhat forced to adjust. But the market is getting better for new car inventory and interest rates are now super high. Continuing to do dealer ADM or thousands of dollars for BS dealer installed accessories is purely gouging. It is bad business and consumers know this.
I just called Imperial auto in MA. They have a XLT Hybrid Lux and CP 360 sticker is $28,500 and they quoted me $43,000. Claim they got it from another dealer. What a big ripoff.

GatorDave113

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
(Found a used Area 51 XL at a dealership)

Dealer: "Listen, just because it has no cruise control and has 33k miles on it, that's no reason for us to charge less than 31k"

Me: "But that's a 9k mark up on a 1 year old truck with nearly 3 years of miles and no add ons of any kind..."

Dealer: "Yep, and if you ask me that's a hell of a deal... These trucks will only become more valuable over the next year."

Sponsored
OP
OP
C J Cox

C J Cox

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just talked to my neighbor while out walking one of my dogs. He’s looking at new F150s to replace his 2014 Platinum with 180K.

Salesman he’s bought multiple trucks from over the years told him to stay away from new F150s. Why? F150s arriving at dealership are 2022s that were sitting on storage lots with missing chips, paint damage (sun, bird droppings, dirt/dust, etc.), bad tires, additional electrical problems related to missing chips, etc.

He asked me how I liked the Maverick and I told him. Asked him why and he replied “salesman told me the only Ford pickup safe to buy right now is a Maverick. As soon as they’re built, they’re shipped.”

Last part true but finding one without markup is a problem

Last edited:

D.Pears

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Ram 1500/Maverick ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just don't see how a $5K refundable deposit would make any difference to a flipper... I'm not a flipper, but if I was, and could make $5K-$10K flipping a Maverick, why wouldn't I invest $5K for a year to do so? I'd be doubling my money, easily. That's better than the stock market, and better than the vast majority of alternative investments where the worst-case scenario is just walking away with the money you started with (refuse the order, and get your refundable deposit back).

Frankly, I doubt that even a "non-refundable" deposit would stop flippers. The profit potential is high enough that risk of just "breaking even" would be worth it for a lot of them... And I already know that "non-refundable" deposits would a non-starter for 99% of the legitimate buyers out there...

I'm really NOT suggesting tinkering with deposits to try to stop flipping – just pointing out that until you make it painful for people to walk away from an order, people will order trucks they don't necessarily want... So to that end, maybe it's the dealerships that do NOT require a deposit that are contributing to the "flipper" problem? (Said "tongue-in-cheek"...)
I think that a $5000.00 upfront deposit would really hurt the people that "need" the Maverick and it might cause them too think about walking away.

My deposit was $1,200.00 and I had to push too put that together, when my understanding was deposits were going to be $500.00 (That was my first kick in the pants from the dealer)

If I had to put down $5000.00 I would have walked away.

Then came the roll over, dumping of my options, price increase, and changing my hybrid order over to an eco boost; still I wait...

When/if, I get a Maverick it will be a stripped out model that looks nothing from where I started this whole thing.

I don't care about car flippers or the dealers, as people have been bitching about them for years!
I care about myself and just having a Maverick.
Also, how I am going to save up and spend $6000.00 to put back the options that I took off the truck.

My 2.5 cents.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just talked to my neighbor while out walking one of my dogs. He’s looking at new F150s to replace his 2014 Platinum with 180K.

Salesman he’s bought multiple trucks from over the years told him to stay away from new F150s. Why? F150s arriving at dealership are 2022s that were sitting on storage lots with missing chips, paint damage (sun, bird droppings, dirt/dust, etc.), bad tires, additional electrical problems related to missing chips, etc.

He asked me how I liked the Maverick and I told him. Asked him why and he replied “salesman told me the only Ford pickup safe to buy right now is a Maverick. As soon as they’re built, they’re shipped.”

Last part true but finding one without markup is a problem
I suspect there’s a lot of truth to those F150 comments.

Besides the sun rot issues, some of those fields are full of mice and rats. Imagine what they’ve been up to, surrounded by dead F150s.

Sirjohn

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'78 Slab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that a $5000.00 upfront deposit would really hurt the people that "need" the Maverick and it might cause them too think about walking away.

My deposit was $1,200.00 and I had to push too put that together, when my understanding was deposits were going to be $500.00 (That was my first kick in the pants from the dealer)

If I had to put down $5000.00 I would have walked away.

Then came the roll over, dumping of my options, price increase, and changing my hybrid order over to an eco boost; still I wait...

When/if, I get a Maverick it will be a stripped out model that looks nothing from where I started this whole thing.

I don't care about car flippers or the dealers, as people have been bitching about them for years!
I care about myself and just having a Maverick.
Also, how I am going to save up and spend $6000.00 to put back the options that I took off the truck.

My 2.5 cents.

Its tough out there. A lot of us are victims of our own consequences yet we boo hoo on the internet. If you can only afford an xl with no options, that's what you get. It's not the only vehicle for sale out there. Want something better, well I don't need to tell a grown man what he/him needs to do to get it, right?

The dealer has no obligation to sell you anything other than what they want to for how much they want to sell it to you. Luckily their are some that will not markup but you've got to wait.

Im not sur eif you were asking a rhetorical quesiton or looking for advice on how to save and spend 6K, but my days spent as a no nonsense life coach would have me suggest the following:

Maybe sell the dodge and quit having kids?

OrangeBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What, pray tell, did your sainted father do to put bread on your family's table?

My father always said “good some of these people get jobs selling cars because they can tell their parole or probation officer they’re working.”
Sponsored