Dealer Add-Ons

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
The LoJack website is an interesting read in general. I had not realized, until now, that the "coverage area" is so limited. For instance there are only about a dozen urban counties of Texas that benefit from the LoJack tracking technology. (As of today's view of the list on their website. The documents may be about as accurate and timely as the window-sticker price on a new car... :) ) If a rural car thief steals your LoJack equipped truck while you're camping -- S.O.L.

I kinda bet even the salesmen at the dealership are unaware or unconcerned with the question of coverage area.
Sponsored

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
As to "add on" features. As near as I can understand what I'm being told, my dealer thinks the LoJack technology is NOT an add on, because they put it on and charge EVERYBODY, all the time, ALWAYS, part of the PDI process. It's not "added" any more than they charge fees for acting as a courier to the court house to transfer title. You have to somersault backwards through flaming hoops and sign releases in blood NOT to allow them to act as your courier (for a fee) or add LoJack (for another fee) and you have to arrange that performance many weeks in advance of the purchase. But, according to this argument, it's not an "add on".

Last edited:

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Does anybody remember that scene from the wonderful 1996 movie *Fargo* -- where the wimpy murderous car salesman ( character Jerry Lundegaard , actor William Macy) argues with customers about the charges for spray on under-carriage rust-proofing?

Tru-Coat.

"Boss says I can knock $100 off that Tru-Coat..."

Lundegaard treated his customers better than some salesmen I've met.

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
According to the sales manager at my dealership, the LoJack system is required as part of Dealer Prep for ALL sales. Can't be removed. The vehicle can't be sold without LoJack. Also, if I object, he can easily sell my Maverick at a $5000 premium so some other more willing customer.

All this is verbal...

The joyless sales project has me across from the finance guy signing an electronic screen. Over and over and over. Then I get a folded up stack of paper. Later the same evening, I get to looking it over and read -- finally -- the LoJack "service agreement" (Which I've electronically signed.) Guess what that says?

"IMPORTANT -- This is an Optional Service... not required or related to any loan, lease or other financing arrangement for your vehicle."

They lie out out loud, and they hide the paperwork, and THEN you have promised to download apps and create an account and agree to have 'Big Brother' monitor my every breath.

NOT HAPPY.

In California, this is considered "Auto Fraud"

How do I end service? Where do I go to have the device, if any, un-installed? What portion of the funds I've paid are eligible for refund?

https://www.autofraudlegalcenter.com/info/auto-fraud/sale-of-mandatory-add-ons/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tsrtrek

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, VW Cross Sport
I thought I found an article online LoJack was not being added to anymore cars as of may 2021 but the service would keep running. Not true?
Definitely not true. Just purchased a 2022 Honda and it has it under a different brand but still owned & operated by LoJack.

OP
OP
ToothGrinder

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
According to the sales manager at my dealership, the LoJack system is required as part of Dealer Prep for ALL sales. Can't be removed. The vehicle can't be sold without LoJack. Also, if I object, he can easily sell my Maverick at a $5000 premium so some other more willing customer.

All this is verbal...

The joyless sales project has me across from the finance guy signing an electronic screen. Over and over and over. Then I get a folded up stack of paper. Later the same evening, I get to looking it over and read -- finally -- the LoJack "service agreement" (Which I've electronically signed.) Guess what that says?

"IMPORTANT -- This is an Optional Service... not required or related to any loan, lease or other financing arrangement for your vehicle."

They lie out out loud, and they hide the paperwork, and THEN you have promised to download apps and create an account and agree to have 'Big Brother' monitor my every breath.

NOT HAPPY.

How do I end service? Where do I go to have the device, if any, un-installed? What portion of the funds I've paid are eligible for refund?

Sounds like you were at the same dealership as me lmao. If you find any useful information on getting this removed and possibly a refund please share. Iā€™m located in California as well.

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback

All this is verbal...

NOT HAPPY.

I never ever allow a dealership to PDI a vehicle I've ordered. I would rather check everything myself, with my salesperson present, including removing the plastic off the seat covers and finding any build sheet and other items. I'll check the fluid levels, air pressures, see if the spare and tools are present, run all electrics and see if all other items like the manuals are found before any signing. Hopefully everyone has theft insurance and if a vehicle is stolen, I would never want it back! All that anti-theft crap? Why do you need it? Forgetaboutit!! Read your confirmation E Mail, Mine says--- "Congratulā€ations on ordering your allā€‘new Maverick XLT! Your order has been placed with Ford Motor Company on your behalf by [dealer's name] Ford." YOUR ORDER!!! That means it was specifically for you, from Ford, not the dealer's vehicle, think of them as just like they're a parking lot valet fetching YOUR VEHICLE, that they had no part in making, but getting a huge tip, to provide the parking lot where YOUR VEHICLE, NOT THEIR'S, was unloaded! So act like it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToothGrinder

ToothGrinder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never ever allow a dealership to PDI a vehicle I've ordered. I would rather check everything myself, with my salesperson present, including removing the plastic off the seat covers and finding any build sheet and other items. I'll check the fluid levels, air pressures, see if the spare and tools are present, run all electrics and see if all other items like the manuals are found before any signing. Hopefully everyone has theft insurance and if a vehicle is stolen, I would never want it back! All that anti-theft crap? Why do you need it? Forgetaboutit!! Read your confirmation E Mail, Mine says--- "Congratulā€ations on ordering your allā€‘new Maverick XLT! Your order has been placed with Ford Motor Company on your behalf by [dealer's name] Ford." YOUR ORDER!!! That means it was specifically for you, from Ford, not the dealer's vehicle, think of them as just like they're a parking lot valet fetching YOUR VEHICLE, that they had no part in making, but getting a huge tip, to provide the parking lot where YOUR VEHICLE, NOT THEIR'S, was unloaded! So act like it!
I would have loved if this was the case. These dealers do everything they can to screw you. After speaking to ford I was told that itā€™s impossible to get them to remove those items because of certain franchise laws that protected those practices. Best option is to research which dealership youā€™ll be working with. My mistake was an additional 2.5k and Iā€™m still salty about it but I like the truck and Iā€™ll eat that 2.5k anyways.

Sponsored

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
I would have loved if this was the case. These dealers do everything they can to screw you. After speaking to ford I was told that itā€™s impossible to get them to remove those items because of certain franchise laws that protected those practices. Best option is to research which dealership youā€™ll be working with. My mistake was an additional 2.5k and Iā€™m still salty about it but I like the truck and Iā€™ll eat that 2.5k anyways.
You ordered this Mav? So when did they add those items? Thank them for that gifting! You needed a friend when you went to pick it up ! Unacceptable you took it and paid extra!

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Sounds like you were at the same dealership as me lmao. If you find any useful information on getting this removed and possibly a refund please share. Iā€™m located in California as well.
The link I provided should be useful to get in touch with advocates for California's customers in dispute with California dealers.

I'm in Texas though. Our disputes are typically settled differently.

Pouncer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
YOUR ORDER!!! That means it was specifically for you, from Ford, not the dealer's vehicle, think of them as just like they're a parking lot valet fetching YOUR VEHICLE, that they had no part in making, but getting a huge tip, to provide the parking lot where YOUR VEHICLE, NOT THEIR'S, was unloaded! So act like it!
The dealer's sales representative was prepared for that line of debate. He asserted that the MSO (a version of "title of ownership") showed his name, not mine. And because he Could not benefit from a "market adjustment" he Would not forego any fees for "dealer prep" -- including the LoJack feature. Should I object, he'd consider our deal terminated and sell to somebody else -- happily -- for an extra $5K.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone have some advice on how to get dealers to remove add ons? My Maverick is supposed to arrive this week and my dealer added a bunch of unnecessary extras to mark up the price.

vehicle theft protection 595
etch code 385
door guards 199
Lo jack 1295
About 2.5k worth of stuff I donā€™t want. Any advice? The car isnā€™t here yet so they havenā€™t installed anything and I am going to speak to the sales manager today.
Negative your dealer is not allowed to add a bunch of stuff on your vehicle without you authorizing it so they're saying they're gonna do that and you just tell them no thank you

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks guys, I spoke with the Sales Manager and he said he needs to discuss it with the General Manager. I took that as a sign that theyā€™re just going to say he tried to get it removed but couldnā€™t. Iā€™ll probably walk in tomorrow and demand to speak to the GM. Never had to pull a Karen on anyone but Iā€™ll be damned if they try to take me for a ride.
And if that doesn't work tell them you want to talk to the owner
Sponsored