John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Certainly not for short distances. The main concern would be overheating the eCVT. But for short distances and reasonable load, it will not have time to overheat.

It's important to realize the torque load on the eCVT is completely dependent upon how far you press down on the accelerator pedal not necessarily how much load you are pulling.

I full throttle acceleration run pulling nothing at all will put a lot more torque on the eCVT than pulling a 5000 LBS trailer at reasonable speeds and acceleration.
Hi.

I'm not being mean and I'm not being rude. I agree with you 99%. You make intelligent remarks. But when someone says something like "don't overheat your eCVT" I wonder how deeply they understand what they just said.

The "eCVT" isn't a single thing. It's a system. Saying "don't overheat the eCVT" is like saying "don't overheat your pinball machine". Well, what part(s) of the pinball machine?

The hybrids HAVE a liquid cooled "transmission". Yes. Hybrids have a transmission cooler. Hybrids are probably better suited for towing than the 2k Ecoboosts.

To me, the central part of "eCVT" is the planetary gear set. Solid. Metal. Gears. Always in mesh. Never slipping (unless you broke some teeth, fat chance). So the gears can tolerate 1800°F. The lubrication, probably 400°F. So you have little chance of overheating that.

Next part(s) are two very similar pieces. The Traction Motor and the Generator/Starter Motor. Both of them can withstand 300°F. You're going to be warned first, then the truck will shut down if you hit 285°F (or about, this was the setting in the Hybrid Escape). Normally these run at half way between ambient and engine temperature. 80 degree day, engine water temperature 180, these motors will cruise along at about 130. Higher if you are starting and stopping, and cooler if you are driving steady speed. So you can DOUBLE the standard temperature before getting in trouble. That said, "trouble" means forcepull over, and stop for 15 to 30 minutes.
This truck really won't let you over heat it.

Theres going to be exceptions if there is a faulty sensor, diluted or low coolant, or some other simultaneous malfunctions, but the odds are favorable for you, and the truck to not overheat.
Sponsored

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi.

I'm not being mean and I'm not being rude. I agree with you 99%. You make intelligent remarks. But when someone says something like "don't overheat your eCVT" I wonder how deeply they understand what they just said.

The "eCVT" isn't a single thing. It's a system. Saying "don't overheat the eCVT" is like saying "don't overheat your pinball machine". Well, what part(s) of the pinball machine?

The hybrids HAVE a liquid cooled "transmission". Yes. Hybrids have a transmission cooler. Hybrids are probably better suited for towing than the 2k Ecoboosts.

To me, the central part of "eCVT" is the planetary gear set. Solid. Metal. Gears. Always in mesh. Never slipping (unless you broke some teeth, fat chance). So the gears can tolerate 1800°F. The lubrication, probably 400°F. So you have little chance of overheating that.

Next part(s) are two very similar pieces. The Traction Motor and the Generator/Starter Motor. Both of them can withstand 300°F. You're going to be warned first, then the truck will shut down if you hit 285°F (or about, this was the setting in the Hybrid Escape). Normally these run at half way between ambient and engine temperature. 80 degree day, engine water temperature 180, these motors will cruise along at about 130. Higher if you are starting and stopping, and cooler if you are driving steady speed. So you can DOUBLE the standard temperature before getting in trouble. That said, "trouble" means forcepull over, and stop for 15 to 30 minutes.
This truck really won't let you over heat it.

Theres going to be exceptions if there is a faulty sensor, diluted or low coolant, or some other simultaneous malfunctions, but the odds are favorable for you, and the truck to not overheat.
I know what the eCVT overtemperature warning is. I have had it more than once in my Fusion hybrid after driving many hours on the highway at very high temperatures. I have never reached the next stage where the vehicle shuts itself down and the vehicle has to rest and cool down before it can be operated again.

It does not matter why or which component causes the eCVT to overheat. Overheating the eCVT is not good. Ford engineers put warnings and alerts on the eCVT for a reason.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. And this is not your father's Oldsmobile.

You can break it if you try really hard.

But you're not very likely to "accidentally" harm it.

Enjoy! 👍🏻😎

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

...It's important to realize the torque load on the eCVT is completely dependent upon how far you press down on the accelerator pedal not necessarily how much load you are pulling.

I full throttle acceleration run pulling nothing at all will put a lot more torque on the eCVT than pulling a 5000 LBS trailer at reasonable speeds and acceleration
Interesting. Thanks for posting this information.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I avoid any vehicle I see driving with a trailer. People not knowing the limits of towing, how to tow, ignoring weight limits, making it dangerous to be around. You need a special license to drive a commercial vehicle and a motorcycle, should require one to tow.

And most of you will moan that I'm wrong and that it doesn't harm anyone but there are reasons the manufacturers limit what can be towed. I had a friend badly injured sitting at a light when a vehicle towing a trailer with a riding mower on it turned the corner and the trailer tipped throwing the mower into his car.

Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good to know. I have plans to build or refurbish a small boat in the future -- probably no more than 2000lbs total boat and trailer -- and I was wondering how it would do on a ramp. This gives me confidence.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like that ramp levels off quick before the boat is out of the water and it was dry, many ramps are not so forgiving with a load like that. I wouldnt make a habit out of doing that with FWD but at least it worked this time. Not a good place to hook a strap to the front of it either so keep that in mind if you get stuck.

UrbanDweller

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick, '05 Lexus ES330
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tow/haul boosts the engine RPM.
Boosts HP at slow speeds.
Accelerates faster (for HWY on ramps).
Regens stonger to slow you and your trailer, and evokes engine braking at higher speeds, sooner.
Sounds like I should be running in this mode 100% of the time.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You need a special license to drive a commercial vehicle and a motorcycle should require one to tow.
You're right. A motorcycle should require a special license to tow.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m sure Ford is squinting at the picture looking for the VIN as we speak lol
They just need the last 8 alpha/numeric digits

AngeloInSC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just used the Maverick to pull my 224 Blackjack up the ramp. XL Hybrid. Ramp is located in the neighborhood 500 yards from my house. Pulled it up really easy. Didn’t strain at all. Probably around 3500 lbs. I was worried it wouldn’t do it.

20230725_105511.jpeg
Well schucks! I've done that with my motorcycle.

Woodhawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Taurus,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not surprised. The low end torque of the hybrid is insane. I was getting up the ramps. I had to use inertial for all my previous internal combustion cars, the hybrid went up there like it was flat.
Electric motors have full torque at ZERO rpm's. That is what help you move. Torque is your friend on the road and HP is for better lap times racing or top end speed.

RobertD

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Maverick XLT FX4 - 4K - 360; 23 F150 KR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is why I avoid any vehicle I see driving with a trailer. People not knowing the limits of towing, how to tow, ignoring weight limits, making it dangerous to be around. You need a special license to drive a commercial vehicle and a motorcycle, should require one to tow.

And most of you will moan that I'm wrong and that it doesn't harm anyone but there are reasons the manufacturers limit what can be towed. I had a friend badly injured sitting at a light when a vehicle towing a trailer with a riding mower on it turned the corner and the trailer tipped throwing the mower into his car.
Actually exceeding the tow rating of the vehicle is illegal and could get you a ticket and force you unhook you trailer and to find a vehicle that is capable of towing. Or if the officer is not in a good mood and being generous the trailer may be towed and impounded at your cost.

We don't need more laws to prevent already illegal activity the existing laws may just need to be actually enforced.

FYI - The OP does not mention actually driving on public roads.
Sponsored