Towing a boat with Maverick?

OP
OP

Jmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailblazer and Yukon Denali
Yikes, that's getting pretty heavy. You definitely need to invest in trailer brakes. How far will you be trailering it? What kind of grades will be seen?
I usually Only go about 25 minutes away few times a year. Sometimes we go to a lake just over an hour away. Grades all fairly flat. Boat Ramps I would call average. We have been to a private lake just few minutes from home where we have friends and that ramp is a bit scary as it’s narrower and much steeper. I would Have concerns on that one for sure but would probably avoid that one with maverick.
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I usually Only go about 25 minutes away few times a year. Sometimes we go to a lake just over an hour away. Grades all fairly flat. Boat Ramps I would call average. We have been to a private lake just few minutes from home where we have friends and that ramp is a bit scary as it’s narrower and much steeper. I would Have concerns on that one for sure but would probably avoid that one with maverick.
Well it doesn’t seem like you will be using it for towing often. I’d say my Maverick will be used to tow my boat pretty consistently for 7-8 months out of the year. That translates to about 30 trips a year. If you’re towing the boat more than a couple times a year, it doesn’t sound like quite enough truck for you.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
From a quick-and-dirty simple calc look, you "should" be OK using your numbers and a few assumptions (your gas & gear in truck bed, your actual doorjamb payload capacity same as a Hybrid example we've seen - 1426# - your AWD may be a little more or less, etc). A little over on payload but the calculator assumes 12.5% tongue weight, your boat/trailer may be like other stern-heavy boat arrangements so it may be 10% or less, and putting some of the gear/gas inside the boat could lessen the overall payload the truck sees also. I'm sure you'll run your calcs with actual values once you know them (maybe a trip to local CAT scales?), and do a test-drive pulling your boat to see how well it stops w/o pushing your truck past that stop sign. Main thing is, you have a "controlled" route, flat. I can't comment on boat ramp practicalities (not a boat owner), that's your judgement call.
Ford Maverick Towing a boat with Maverick? boat.JPG

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember, if the boat is heavier than the truck the boat will likely pull you down the ramp...especially if wet

OP
OP

Jmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailblazer and Yukon Denali
Decisions decisions…I have Also thought of selling my boat as we don’t use it often.

Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Decisions decisions…I have Also thought of selling my boat as we don’t use it often.
Used boat market is about as wild as the used auto market. Sell that puppy now if it might be time to let her go!

brictor

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
brictor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Curiosity
What is the structural and mechanical different between the hybrid and eco awd with 4k tow?

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Imagine the affect if this was downward tongue weight instead. That's likely one reason why you can't order the Tow package anymore for FWD's. That truck would have gone for a swim.

Ford Maverick Towing a boat with Maverick? Towin

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Imagine the affect if this was downward tongue weight instead. That's likely one reason why you can't order the Tow package anymore for FWD's. That truck would have gone for a swim.

Towing.jpg
Glad he wore the brown pants.

must would be mildly interesting to see the actual axle weights on each build. By axle weight I mean the weight on the axel on each build, just to compare weight distribution.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad he wore the brown pants.

must would be mildly interesting to see the actual axle weights on each build. By axle weight I mean the weight on the axel on each build, just to compare weight distribution.
In the video I captured that from, you can hear the trailer axels breaking as he was pulling forward.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
In the video I captured that from, you can hear the trailer axels breaking as he was pulling forward.
Ouch. I did blow up a Dana 12 inch with a 454 and th400 years ago but never the axels. Just ouch.

Jemers22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are thoughts on towing a boat? Have a ski nautique that is about 2300 lbs plus trailer at about 900 lbs. with 2.0 and AWD rated at 4000 lbs and even with 4 people in truck and basic gear should be under max total weight for truck but wondering thoughts on capability.

on order:
2.0 xlt with towing package, fx4, AWD

Klundog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is the very question I am looking to get an answer on. I have 1996 Ski Nautique 196.
2.0 AWD XL

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
My total boat/trailer loaded weight is around 2500 lbs max. Currently tow it with a Ridgeline no problem. The folks that build the boats use a old Ford ranger as a shop truck to take the boats for wet testing with no issues.

Get about 16mpg highway on the Ridgeline towing the boat. Curious how the mpg will translate to the maverick. Single axel trailer, no breaks. I will be extra cautious and use chock blocks on the ramp just in case.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anyone made use of the fuze position labeled "after market brake controller"????
Sponsored