First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
im in florida and we ordered 17 months ago a maverick hybrid, our good friends in Ohio also ordered one this last sept. and got a conformation on order
she is worried about towing they have a boat 16ft looks like its very close to max towing, about 1800 lbs. and that dont count other stuff to travel from Ohio to florida with the boat! she is worried about that and about it pulling it out of the water at launch etc. any body having issues ??
thier only reason to order was the mileage on the hybrid, not sure if people are pushing them on towing? I personally have never owned a hybrid either and I have had over 60 vehicles, i told her to bad you cant rent/lease one for a short time and try it!
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
im in florida and we ordered 17 months ago a maverick hybrid, our good friends in Ohio also ordered one this last sept. and got a conformation on order
she is worried about towing they have a boat 16ft looks like its very close to max towing, about 1800 lbs. and that dont count other stuff to travel from Ohio to florida with the boat! she is worried about that and about it pulling it out of the water at launch etc. any body having issues ??
thier only reason to order was the mileage on the hybrid, not sure if people are pushing them on towing? I personally have never owned a hybrid either and I have had over 60 vehicles, i told her to bad you cant rent/lease one for a short time and try it!
Someone posted that they rented a hybrid and the rental key was one that was programed to restricted usage. I don't remember if they tried towing or anything but things like speed were limited.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I mean, depending on the boat and the slope of the launch, front wheel drive can be an issue putting it in and getting it out.

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's tough to get up a wet boat ramp with a lot of weight in just FWD.

I do not have any boat videos on my channel, but I do have some recent ones where I take my AWD up some of the steep roads in Park City with all the big storms this year. Even with the stock Continentals, I can make a full stop at the steepest spot and continue on with no problem. I would not be comfortable trying this in a FWD version.

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone posted that they rented a hybrid and the rental key was one that was programed to restricted usage. I don't remember if they tried towing or anything but things like speed were limited.
i wondered, they would not want people towing on a rental!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's tough to get up a wet boat ramp with a lot of weight in just FWD.

I do not have any boat videos on my channel, but I do have some recent ones where I take my AWD up some of the steep roads in Park City with all the big storms this year. Even with the stock Continentals, I can make a full stop at the steepest spot and continue on with no problem. I would not be comfortable trying this in a FWD version.
thanks, I would be afraid to try it !! in my younger years I would try anything but at 68 im not even that happy pulling something just around florida where I live!! dont know if I would pull that boat from ohio and back !! thanks

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I told her they may have to stick with thier old toyota truck for her towing !!

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks, I would be afraid to try it !! in my younger years I would try anything but at 68 im not even that happy pulling something just around florida where I live!! dont know if I would pull that boat from ohio and back !! thanks
No problem Bill. Ask any questions!

They can still do a lot with a Maverick hybrid but at the low price, maybe also get an AWD with 4k tow package over time. Here is a video I posted that your friends may like. It shows the window stickers of my 2 Maverick XLTs (with lux upgrades and 360) cost just $300 more than 1 F-150 XLT.

If I need more "bed" like the F-150, I can use a utility trailer, high rack, or a hitch mounted cargo carrier.

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The TFL guy just did a review on his SC that is rated at 3500 lbs towing and is in Colorado with some snow and ice on the road said after towing with it he wouldn't tow 3000 lbs more like 2000 lbs comfortably. Based upon his experience with a vehicle with a much higher tow rating then then the Hybrid I personally wouldn't feel good about pulling that weight. I used to pull a 4000 lb Jeep behind my motorhome rated for 5000 lbs and I could feel it even with a brake controller. IMHO I would have gotten the Ecoboost if I planned to haul any more than 1500 lbs and that wouldn't be to pull it up a boat ramp. With that said I can't say it wouldn't work but the MPG on that hybrid may drop like a rock.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don’t think I would recommend that tow trip

Sponsored
OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The TFL guy just did a review on his SC that is rated at 3500 lbs towing and is in Colorado with some snow and ice on the road said after towing with it he wouldn't tow 3000 lbs more like 2000 lbs comfortably. Based upon his experience with a vehicle with a much higher tow rating then then the Hybrid I personally wouldn't feel good about pulling that weight. I used to pull a 4000 lb Jeep behind my motorhome rated for 5000 lbs and I could feel it even with a brake controller. IMHO I would have gotten the Ecoboost if I planned to haul any more than 1500 lbs and that wouldn't be to pull it up a boat ramp. With that said I can't say it wouldn't work but the MPG on that hybrid may drop like a rock.
yeah, I use to tow about anything in my younger years, I had an 20ft travel trailer that was a 1,000 over max towing on my 1999 jeep cherokee,and towed it all over the usa,, but not anymore, if we get a boat and or trailer again, to tow behind the santa cruz awd I have now, it will be a small one , and I will only be towing it around us here in florida.I told our friend in Ohio she may have to keep her old toyota truck too, if she gona do much towing !!

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No problem Bill. Ask any questions!

They can still do a lot with a Maverick hybrid but at the low price, maybe also get an AWD with 4k tow package over time. Here is a video I posted that your friends may like. It shows the window stickers of my 2 Maverick XLTs (with lux upgrades and 360) cost just $300 more than 1 F-150 XLT.

If I need more "bed" like the F-150, I can use a utility trailer, high rack, or a hitch mounted cargo carrier.

thanks I will have her look at this, I told them they may have to keep thier old toyota truck for all the towing !!

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t think I would recommend that tow trip
I would not want to do it,even in the f-150 eco ,I had, too many nuts out there, seems it never bothered me in my younger years !!

OP
OP

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks for all the comments and info, I will relay all this to our Ohio friends, and she can figure out what to do.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks for all the comments and info, I will relay all this to our Ohio friends, and she can figure out what to do.
See thread. HYBRID MAVERICL
See thread. HYBRID MAVERICK TOWING 2000LB BOAT
Sponsored