Sponsored

Towing a boat with Maverick?

Jmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trailblazer and Yukon Denali
What are thoughts on towing a boat? Have a ski nautique that is about 2300 lbs plus trailer at about 900 lbs. with 2.0 and AWD rated at 4000 lbs and even with 4 people in truck and basic gear should be under max total weight for truck but wondering thoughts on capability.

on order:
2.0 xlt with towing package, fx4, AWD
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Should be fine. Does the boat have brakes? Electric or surge?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does not have brakes. Single axle trailer.
I would consider adding them. They do help, especially when towing over 50% of the rating.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same truck build here. Will be pulling a Tahoe T18 that’s about 2600# with trailer, dry. I will never exceed 3400# all in. Single axle trailer with brakes. I’d definitely look into adding brakes on your trailer. South Louisiana here so no real grade or elevation to deal with. If I was in a mountainous area and not below sea level I may have considered a slightly more capable truck, but for me this will be perfect.

Sponsored

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What are thoughts on towing a boat? Have a ski nautique that is about 2300 lbs plus trailer at about 900 lbs. with 2.0 and AWD rated at 4000 lbs and even with 4 people in truck and basic gear should be under max total weight for truck but wondering thoughts on capability.

on order:
2.0 xlt with towing package, fx4, AWD
I read somewhere here that they would not pull anything more than 3200lbs, however it is rated to 4K. As long as your tongue weight is near what it should be for that weight you are pulling it should be fine. The Tow package comes with trailer brake controller so if you have a trailer brake, then you are good. Also the transmission will come with the ratio needed the RPM's, not to mention the Hill decent control. I plan on pulling my boat which will be about 2100lbs, fully loaded with trailer.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I read somewhere here that they would not pull anything more than 3200lbs, however it is rated to 4K. As long as your tongue weight is near what it should be for that weight you are pulling it should be fine. The Tow package comes with trailer brake controller so if you have a trailer brake, then you are good. Also the transmission will come with the ratio needed the RPM's, not to mention the Hill decent control. I plan on pulling my boat which will be about 2100lbs, fully loaded with trailer.
Make sure the tongue weight is less than 400 and you stay in total load capacity, you should be fine, you didn’t order an fed did you?

OP
OP

Jmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the tongue weight is less than 400 and you stay in total load capacity, you should be fine, you didn’t order an fed did you?
Ordered AWD

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is me and the 3200#. There isn't any science behind it. I usually only pull 80% of max trailer weight throughout the years. It gives me some wiggle room when needed and I have found out that is the sweet spot with all of my trucks so far. Plus I don't have to try to figure out the math if I am ok following 80% rule.

After living on the coast for 10+ years and in the mountains for 10+ years now, I have seen to many bad scenarios with people towing their boats/rvs thinking it was ok to be at max tow weight.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I plan on towing close to the 4k max but never over. My trailer will have elec brakes on both axles and the truck has the controller so am not concerned but am vigilant. I tow very little and I don't want or need a bigger truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is me and the 3200#. There isn't any science behind it. I usually only pull 80% of max trailer weight throughout the years. It gives me some wiggle room when needed and I have found out that is the sweet spot with all of my trucks so far. Plus I don't have to try to figure out the math if I am ok following 80% rule.

After living on the coast for 10+ years and in the mountains for 10+ years now, I have seen to many bad scenarios with people towing their boats/rvs thinking it was ok to be at max tow weight.
Good tips. I looked Up more details
boat - 2300 lb
trailer - 950 lb
gear - 300 lb don’t carry much but life jackets and wake board
gas - 150 lb
4 passengers - 650 lb
total - 4350 lb

getting very close to maximizing limit of 4414 lb
8145 (GCWR) - 3731 (truck weight)

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I agree with your thinking. If you are towing near capacity, then trailer brakes are recommended. I can see why Ford's stopping FWD models for Towing; if you don't distribute the weight to get the optimal tongue weight, there could be problems, especially on the switchbacks. The optimal tongue weight for single axel trailer should be around 6% of the total tow weight.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
I agree with your thinking. If you are towing near capacity, then trailer brakes are recommended. I can see why Ford's stopping FWD models for Towing; if you don't distribute the weight to get the optimal tongue weight, there could be problems, especially on the switchbacks. The optimal tongue weight for single axel trailer should be around 6% of the total tow weight.
And not exceed 10%

there are those who believe that FWD on a pickup with a trailer is better than a RWD. But I can’t see their messages anyone ;)

XBeatzX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Toyota Tundra & '03 Honda Element
Engine
Undecided
I have a smaller 17’ ski boat, with a single axle trailer, I suppose it weighs right around 2500 lbs give or take. My 5.7 L Toyota tundra pulls it without it even knowing it’s attached. That is until we get to the Boat landing. With some of the shallower lakes here in Minnesota, you really got to get those back wheels into the water, And it definitely makes the Tundra grunt sometimes when pulling that sucker out. That has me really worried with the Maverick, I’m sure it will pull it down the road just fine, but launching is another story.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good tips. I looked Up more details
boat - 2300 lb
trailer - 950 lb
gear - 300 lb don’t carry much but life jackets and wake board
gas - 150 lb
4 passengers - 650 lb
total - 4350 lb

getting very close to maximizing limit of 4414 lb
8145 (GCWR) - 3731 (truck weight)
Yikes, that's getting pretty heavy. You definitely need to invest in trailer brakes. How far will you be trailering it? What kind of grades will be seen?
Sponsored