Sponsored

Non-lockable gas tank why?

Grey Ghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Cactus Grey, Jeep Wrangler Mango
That is something you never now until its too late! Do you think that no one ever screws with someone's unlocked tank nowadays? I'm not sure but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If the fuel door is always locked when the car is locked as someone question, then that would be OK. But if not, I'm not comfortable with that.
Will try to remember to ask Tim Bartz.
I just tested this and no it doesn’t lock if doors are locked.
Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WHY would Ford not have a locking gas cap on Maverick? It should be offered standard....or very least as an option. I would pay more the have a locking one.
The hybrid requires you to push a button inside to open fuel door.

Maybe ecoboost is different.

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is something you never now until its too late! Do you think that no one ever screws with someone's unlocked tank nowadays? I'm not sure but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If the fuel door is always locked when the car is locked as someone question, then that would be OK. But if not, I'm not comfortable with that.
Will try to remember to ask Tim Bartz.
My current cards gas tank needs to be open from inside, unless you use some kind of pry bar like somebody did a couple years ago and pride open my gas cap.

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
Never had an issue with gas theft and I live in East Vancouver. I would say that the gas door is just a flimsy piece of plastic which was disappointing to the touch but I got over it pretty quick. Looks good. I saw one at the dealer that was not flush with the body which would have drove me nuts if mine came like that.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s hard to steal the gas without the thingy you put in the thingy. You know, the thingy they give you that’s stored in the thingy. How many gas thief’s carry a thingy with them?
I assume that every gas thief has his/her own thingy but maybe someone with a thingy removable thingy has removed some ones thingy.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hybrid requires you to push a button inside to open fuel door.

Maybe ecoboost is different.
From someone who reported sounds, I believe the tank must be pressurized and pushing the button must release the pressure in order to be able to insert the fuel. Just guessing?

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would want a locking gas cap if I didn't have a garage to park my vehicles in. Most vehicles made in the last 30 years or so have baffles in the filler neck to prevent siphoning, but someone could still dump something into the tank if they wanted to. I have a friend who had his pontoon boat damaged by maybe a neighbor or someone who hated him, they put lake water with the muck at the bottom not only in the fuel tank, but also in the oil injection tank, needless to say he needed a new motor.

Baloo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Lux Ordered
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

WHY would Ford not have a locking gas cap on Maverick? It should be offered standard....or very least as an option. I would pay more the have a locking one.

I currently have a 2014 Ford Flex, no gas cap came with it as it isn't needed. I ordered the Ford accessory locking cap for it through my dealer for security purposes due to my career.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Youtube review of Oriley's version and Ford OEM
A nice little crowbar and those plastic things are toast. Around here a lot of people don't even try the caps, they just drill a hole in the tank!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Benson

Benson

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Benson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently have a 2014 Ford Flex, no gas cap came with it as it isn't needed. I ordered the Ford accessory locking cap for it through my dealer for security purposes due to my career.
Thank you

sZedely

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat 4x4, Escape SE FWD
I would want a locking gas cap if I didn't have a garage to park my vehicles in. Most vehicles made in the last 30 years or so have baffles in the filler neck to prevent siphoning, but someone could still dump something into the tank if they wanted to. I have a friend who had his pontoon boat damaged by maybe a neighbor or someone who hated him, they put lake water with the muck at the bottom not only in the fuel tank, but also in the oil injection tank, needless to say he needed a new motor.
You have to have a nozzle that is the correct size to disengage the interlock for the filler neck to even open. Even if you manually press down the flapper with, lets say a funnel, and it is not the proper size to disengage the interlock, the neck will not open.
I have had personal experience with this on several of my newer Fords, trying to put in fuel cleaners. Bottles that don't have the proper neck size will start to pour out and not down the neck. The cleaner will pour all over the outside of the nozzle area, instead.

But.. That is not to say that someone could still not use a proper sized funnel and do what you have mentioned. If they plan on going that far, I would suggest that they would also be able to get past the crappy lock that you will have placed on there as well. Just my 2 cents.

sZedely

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat 4x4, Escape SE FWD
Just one other point I would like to make. If you are worried about someone siphoning your gas from your newer Ford, it is really unlikely to happen. It would be easier and quicker to punch a hole in the gas tank to let it pour into a bucket. The tanks are made mostly of a plastic known as High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE). Essentially, they are like really thick milk jugs, so it isn't too hard to drill or punch a hole in. This method of stealing gasoline would be way faster than siphoning through modern fill ports.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has nothing to do w/'being lazy'.I just prefer the button on dash that opens the fuel door as your exit the car.
That is exactly what you have to do with the Hybrid Maverick, "press a button" on the dash to depressurize the fuel system and pop open the fuel door.

I see no reason for adding a Locking Fuel Cap and in doing so you are adding another step in fueling.
Sponsored