Aquaman14

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really don't have access from the top. I'll be using a product from Tech-Bond Solutions to repair it if I decide to do it myself. Hole is only 3/16 so I see no reason to replace the whole tank like a couple of shops have suggested. I was going to do it at my home like I have done so many times before but after driving it up on some ramps and getting under to have a look, there's just not enough room plus I'll also be installing a catback exhaust while I'm at it. Therefore if I decide to do it I'll be using my friends shop so I can lift it up.
Sponsored

catshreds

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You guys are some comedians🤣🤣🤣. I made a bone head move and drilled a hole in the top of the tank. I was reading that the bolts can be very hard to remove and even break because of the Loctite that's applied. I'm hoping they're not Torx bolts like someone mentioned.
"Holey" Gas Tank, Batman!

Last edited:

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

All kidding aside aquaman14, I hope your gas tank repair goes we.ll I'm sure with all the DIYers on MTC, there will be other punctured gas tanks as folks enhance their Mavericks.

OP
OP

Aquaman14

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks, it would have been worse if I would have started from the opposite side. I would have had 4 holes instead of 1😆. I'll update once it's repaired.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All kidding aside.. I DO HOPE!! If removing the tank is the only option. Please, drain it as much as possible and have enough "Clearance" and "Help" in doing so.
Before, I drilled-out the forward holes for the bed "D-rings". I measured twice and marked the drill bit, so as not to make myself extra work. I did a theral inspection of the top of the tank. Not much space to access it. It maybe possible to "Drop the tank" a few inches and do the suggested patch job..

Do take care and let us know... 🤨

Jerry

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, it would have been worse if I would have started from the opposite side. I would have had 4 holes instead of 1😆. I'll update once it's repaired.
Please take some pics when you do it!
Sponsored