First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've owned a Volt. PHEV vehicles are for the birds. Never going through that nightmare again.
Sponsored

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've owned a Volt. PHEV vehicles are for the birds. Never going through that nightmare again.
Before the Maverick was announced I was looking at CPO Volts. Really liked the vehicle when I drove it, but the used prices were insane even back then.

Once again GM is ahead of the curve then shoots itself in the foot before the market catches on (EV1, Volt and now the Bolt).

Dude84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV aren't as efficient as we would think they "should" be.

I read an article breaking down the 3 different Toyota Rav4 vehicles- the regular, Hybrid, PHEV. Money-wise the PHEV was the worst of all of them, (by a few Thousand $$ over 5 years) when considering purchase price and gas money spent. PLUS the PHEV usually have to compromise storage space somewhere for that extra battery.

They said the hybrid was the best.
With the Rav4, that isn't a pure apples to oranges comparison though. Yes, money-wise the PHEV (Rav4 Prime) is the least economical of those 3 but unlike a lot of PHEVs, it is a lot more powerful than the standard Rav4 or the Hybrid. The PHEV offers a 40 mile electric range, AWD, and 300 horsepower, which hits 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It's significantly more expensive than the standard Rav4 and the Hybrid but they're also offering higher performance, not just fuel efficiency. I'm not saying I think that premium is worth it, but an article comparing the efficiency of those Rav4 models misses half the point of the Rav4 Prime PHEV.

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would agree. PHEV's cost more, and if you drive so little you can get by in EV mode every day, then you don't use enough gas to bother anyway. Doesn't the PHEV Escape start at like $38,000 anyway?

Disagree. Yes, I might not leave EV mode in town most days but I'd like the PHEV Maverick for when I take long road trips.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Original source: Heatmap
Reported by: Ford Authority

Mike Levin said: “There’s no current need for a PHEV. The Maverick Hybrid is incredibly efficient and affordable. The EPA estimates that Maverick Hybrid’s total annual fuel cost is just $1,500.”
I agree. Why load the grid any more than it is now.

Sponsored

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PHEV aren't as efficient as we would think they "should" be.

I read an article breaking down the 3 different Toyota Rav4 vehicles- the regular, Hybrid, PHEV. Money-wise the PHEV was the worst of all of them, (by a few Thousand $$ over 5 years) when considering purchase price and gas money spent. PLUS the PHEV usually have to compromise storage space somewhere for that extra battery.

They said the hybrid was the best.
But did they factor in the $7500 gov rebate?

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

After owning my hybrid for a year, I can definitely say that I do not need awd. I no longer recommend it to anyone.
I never recommended it except to my wife, LOL. The last 11 winters I just had RWD dailys. The FWD hybrid will be even better.

Deleted member 1483

I never recommended it except to my wife, LOL. The last 11 winters I just had RWD dailys. The FWD hybrid will be even better.
We barely had a winter, but the maverick has done fine on trails, and snow with just FWD. Just today my job had me at a construction site and it did fine.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I admire your enthusiasm on this đź‘Ź however... in the case specifically of Maverick hybrids we already know they can only build enough hybrids to deliver about 1/3rd of the orders placed. Wouldn't adding another variant further reduce the chances of getting a hybrid at all? An AWD version would still use an existing FWD platform, then add rearward components to that to power 1 or both rear wheels.
Well, in truth, I'd have a hard time selling my JKU...but if I had an AWD Maverick, I could recover the Jeep's garage space as I'd feel it was no longer necessary.... But when my sanity returns, I really, really don't want to go through this near 500 day BS again any time soon.
I love my 2023 FWD Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid Alto Blue BAP. I do count my blessings every time I look at it.

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a C-Max Hybrid (HEV like the Maverick) instead of a C-Max Energi (PHEV) because I didn't want the work to have to remember to keep the Energi charged to get a measly 20 miles, AND lose the cargo space for the bigger battery AND have a larger expense when/if the battery gave out.

After having Hybrids for about 7 years now, I am perfectly content with HEV technology. I could use AWD, tho, and will trade in my Maverick if Ford adds it as an option. I wouldn't pay more than $500 to add PHEV, tho...so that's not gonna happen.
Thanks for voicing your experience, I was thinking a slightly larger range like you had would be perfect for my needs. You Got that idea out of my head, didn’t think far enough to foresee those outcomes you expressed. You are appreciated.
Those low range micro PHEVs are no longer available from what I could find. I was so mad at Chevy dealer that they didn’t point out the bolt after I bought a use Prius, they gave me a volt for long term test drive, while trying to get me to sale them my Silverado truck.
Bolt would have been a preferred over Prius if I knew it existed.

Edit please switch volt for Bolt in this post. GM marketing choices of name makes more sense flipped, maybe that why one flooped.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We barely had a winter, but the maverick has done fine on trails, and snow with just FWD. Just today my job had me at a construction site and it did fine.
We had no winter either. Hard to justify with just a couple snowy days a year.

MaverRick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MachE 4EX 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have a 2023 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Ran on the same 14 gallon tank of fuel from 1st week in January to last week in April. We still had a half a tank. The car forced us to refuel when it went into burn stale fuel mode forcing the engine to run full time. Once fresh fuel was added it switched back to EV mode. No interior space was given up for the 20kwh battery as it sits in the frame rails. Its been a fantastic vehicle.
Have you tried the Chademo charge port on yours yet? We just tried it for the first time this week on a 80 mile round trip. Got 42 miles on EV but had to burn some gas on the way home cause I couldn’t get the charger to work! Charging infrastructure is my biggest concern for going full EV but I have become addicted to the instant torque!! For our needs PHEV makes more sense! We have only added gas to it twice over the past 3 months.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll bet they could make an awd phev for $7500 more than the plain fwd hybrid. With the rebate it would be a wash and a far superior vehicle. Hope they do it, would be an awesome option.

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'll bet they could make an awd phev for $7500 more than the plain fwd hybrid. With the rebate it would be a wash and a far superior vehicle. Hope they do it, would be an awesome option.
If anything, they'll price the tax credit with whatever increased margin they want for the PHEV model, so $7500 + a few extra grand. Then suddenly the Maverick PHEV is a $40k+ vehicle.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a Volt. PHEV vehicles soar like birds. It has been a dream car that I would gladly do again.
Sponsored