NDL

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OP never said how many miles he drove before pulling the vehicle over; was there a shoulder in the mountains to pull onto, etc?

I wouldn't have done what the OP did, but at the same time, I wasn't in his shoes, and I think a few of the replies are worded strongly.
Sponsored

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 CC XLT, 21 F150 RCSB, 22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The OP never said how many miles he drove before pulling the vehicle over; was there a shoulder in the mountains to pull onto, etc?

I wouldn't have done what the OP did, but at the same time, I wasn't in his shoes, and I think a few of the replies are worded strongly.
Well...at the end of the day it is still the internet and the 80/20 rule sadly still applies. I personally am most grateful for preservation of his family's safety and lives. A material objust? I could care less. Strongly worded is nothing more than various opinions from various people that were raised is vastly and variously different surroundings. Nothing more.

OP
OP
Sirslayer

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ahhhh apologies. :)
Many Thanks to my fellow Maverick
Not only is it a one year only color (Velocity Blue) it’s also an XL with a sunroof

To the OP let this be a learning moment

I also suggest when mentioning this to your insurance that you do no talk about adding more oil to a leaking smoking engine and continuing to drive
I’m no insurance expert but if I was covering you I’d have some reservations about paying you out
(Like a friend of mine that allegedly purposefully drove his Corvette into high water, he got paid out but it was very suspicious)
Many thanks to my fellow members. , I’ve told the truth to my insurance and it’s wasn’t a continuous drive afterwards , it was just to move the Maverick out of a busy small gas station to a empty Parking lot to get it towed. Coming from a mountain pass I had no signal for cellular is the reason to turn around and drive to an area to get cellular service . Would I done anything different. , no I wouldn’t unless I wanted to walk many miles down a mountain pass with my family which would have been more dangerous. No i didn’t plan to ruin my truck for insurance or to get killed with my family . My Maverick was my prize , I’d work hard for many years to have great credit and was the reason why in was the few first to receive my baby. I’m suffering from Maverick withdrawals because of the rental my insurance lend me. It’s a 2023 rogue and it’s not my Maverick. My Maverick was the best deal and vehicle I ever had.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But the Ford Maverick hasn’t. The platform have matured but somewhere in the Maverick design is different. Does anyone recalled the Ford Pinto fire incident.
You are really reaching with that one

volksnuts

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Many Thanks to my fellow Maverick

Many thanks to my fellow members. , I’ve told the truth to my insurance and it’s wasn’t a continuous drive afterwards , it was just to move the Maverick out of a busy small gas station to a empty Parking lot to get it towed. Coming from a mountain pass I had no signal for cellular is the reason to turn around and drive to an area to get cellular service . Would I done anything different. , no I wouldn’t unless I wanted to walk many miles down a mountain pass with my family which would have been more dangerous. No i didn’t plan to ruin my truck for insurance or to get killed with my family . My Maverick was my prize , I’d work hard for many years to have great credit and was the reason why in was the few first to receive my baby. I’m suffering from Maverick withdrawals because of the rental my insurance lend me. It’s a 2023 rogue and it’s not my Maverick. My Maverick was the best deal and vehicle I ever had.
Ok that explaination makes it more reasonable,
Somewhat

Sponsored

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will be interesting to hear what the root cause is/was (if they tell you). While one incident may not trigger a recall, looking at something that gnarly from anything short of a horrific collision is not comforting to say the least. Glad you and your family are alright. Nissan Rogues are terrible 😂 My condolences to your Mav.

EIlig

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor/'69 Porsche 911E/'15Porsche Cayman
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This most likely will not cause a recall for the Ecoboost. This engine, not trans, has been around a long time.
Correct...

There are literally millions of these Ecoboost engines circling the planet in a variety of Ford models, in a myriad of tunes, world over since the mid 2000's. This appears to be a unique situation where perhaps something was run over or came loose causing the oil leak. It was an early build so it could have been a manufacturing defect though I doubt it. Oil dripping from the hood and smoke coming from an unknown source is an immediate SHUT DOWN in my world and call a flatbed.

OP
OP
Sirslayer

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Pinto was completely different. It was due to gas tank location/placement...not not engine design. Not a good comparison. To my point, you stated "leaking/spraying oil". Lets not go off on wild tangents. This is an isolated event. Will wait to see/hear the cause.
Are you lame or some thing ? My point is that it wasn’t the first time Ford made a mistake and the Pinto was designed 70 years after Ford created it first vehicle. Now it’s over hundred years since ford first design and it’s still not perfect

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will be interesting to hear what the root cause is/was (if they tell you). While one incident may not trigger a recall, looking at something that gnarly from anything short of a horrific collision is not comforting to say the least. Glad you and your family are alright. Nissan Rogues are terrible 😂 My condolences to your Mav.
Nissan is terrible in general. Only thing from them I am holding out for is the R36....IF they ever make it. Smdh

V-blue Mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep Cherokee and 2006 F-150 2022 Maverick EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
But the Ford Maverick hasn’t. The platform have matured but somewhere in the Maverick design is different. Does anyone recalled the Ford Pinto fire incident.
Yes, rear end collisions crushed the Pintos gas tank causing fire/explosion....

Sponsored

2016BoostedGreyGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are you lame or some thing ? My point is that it wasn’t the first time Ford made a mistake and the Pinto was designed 70 years after Ford created it first vehicle. Now it’s over hundred years since ford first design and it’s still not perfect
Me lame? You sir, are the one that witnessed oil leaking/spraying in an engine bay and added more. Yeah THAT seems logical. Seems to me you are the lame one here.

kcirevam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Jeep, MINI
Engine
Undecided
I'm betting it was the oil line to the turbo. Should have stopped driving at the first sign of smoke.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Okay you have to be trolling now.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im gonna skip the 3 pages of interogating this guy.

I offer my condolenses for your beautiful truck. Sorry it happened. I know this stuff gets scary. I had a vehicle flame up when I was in it aswell. Mine was 40 years old and leaked a tranny line onto the exhaust. Glad you are safe.

Now I do believe you may have missed a recall notice. There were multiple early Maverick oil related recalls. Drilling drain holes, removing grill shutters, and even a O-ring replacement were some of the points of interest. I would contact your dealer and ask them about this. It could have a effect on your insurance claims, if they missed it, you could be entitled to compensation of some sort.

As for the issue of driving with the oil leaking that much. Im an old school guy and have a very mechanical and dynamic analytic mind. I tend to think through risks and assess them pretty accurately. On an older car, non turbo, that much oil leakage would be a concern and alot of rag dabbing would be in order. Of course I would check the exhaust to make sure the oil isnt soaking it. On a turbo car, exhaust temperatures are much hotter aswell as other areas of the engine bay. Also turbos may or may not be plumbed into the oiling system. If the system is low on oil at all the turbo and exhaust will get even hotter. This can cause a catastrophic fire, as soon as that fire breaches the fuel system its game over. This is your explosions. This is where people die.

If there was enough oil to reach the underside of the hood at that point it was soaked around the engine. I understand the need to get somewhere safe etc. but really if you absolutely had to drive somewhere I would have waited atleast 20 min for the exhaust and turbo to cool a little, then drove at very conservative speeds to the nearest safe area. At that point a further inspection of the oil situation would have prompted your tow truck call.

This is all hindsight of course, and the odds of this ever happening to you again are very slim. But I just want to encourage every one in this age of ever increasing brain strain, to think things through. If you try to analyze something and reach a point of confusion, SEEK HELP! Call a car buddy, call a parent, call any expert for any situation. No shame in asking for help.