TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
MotorTrend awards mean squat. They go to the highest bidder.
Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An Award for a Vaporware Truck.

Most awards are for something that was actually done not something you may do.

Imagine the uproar that would happen in NFL sports if they gave out MVP rewards or Offensive/Defensive player of the year awards before the start of the season.
It's not vaporware. There's one parked a few houses down from my grandmother in law's house. I can take a picture of it next time I'm there to prove it exists lol.

Jimmy P

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Motor Trend named the Rivian the MT Truck of the Year:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/rivian-r1t-2022-truck-of-the-year/

Four Hybrid Mav XL's can grace your driveway for the price of one Rivian, with minimal operating costs to their owners. I'm sure the Rivian is great, but Ford brought practical engineering with fantastic fuel efficiency to people who would otherwise rarely get a chance at new car ownership. That's a significantly more difficult accomplishment than developing a product that eliminates most buyers right out of the gate.

And, Yes - I am a capitalist. Kudos to Rivian engineers and to those who can afford to take one home. With enough sold, the development costs will eventually amortize and trickle down to mass production. For now, the Maverick is the bigger news in my book.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Rivian (which is shipping -- there are customers who have received their trucks already) is nice, and pretty deserving as it's the first electric truck to get to market.

The category was a pretty weird one though, like the Maverick and Rivian aren't competing for the same customers. No one is cross shopping the two. Like other than the truck bed, are these two things even in the same category? XD
Ford Maverick MotorTend names Rivian R1T Truck of the Year all-of-this-pointin

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As a capitalist and America First person I applaud the Rivian and the fact that it is made in the USA for Americans by Americans. I will not be owning one but I will be owning the stock.

As a capitalist and America First person I will enjoy seeing the difference in price between those two vehicles sitting in my portfolio earning me dividends and making me a wealthier individual.

Making my Portfolio Great Again! LOL :LOL:

Sponsored

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Rivian (which is shipping -- there are customers who have received their trucks already) is nice, and pretty deserving as it's the first electric truck to get to market.

The category was a pretty weird one though, like the Maverick and Rivian aren't competing for the same customers. No one is cross shopping the two. Like other than the truck bed, are these two things even in the same category? XD
If you look into who has received there vehicles out of 180 built 156 went to employees of the company. The rest are probably test mules sent to publishers to be tested. That to me isnā€™t out to the public. Ford has also backed off their deal with them. They are ramping up their own electric products. I believe they will be a flash in the pan. There value shot up due to Ford and GM battling for ownership of the company. It worked out for Ford Financially because of the stock valve. I donā€™t see it being adopted into the Ford family. I think it will be a relationship like Harley Davidson and poor Buell. Read about that if you have a chance. Itā€™s a very sad story that killed a great manā€™s name and ideas. Just my thoughts and I have no skin in the game or inside story so most likely itā€™s all wrong šŸ˜‚

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well really don't understand this Rebellion raisin rascal rankenstein ruck oh sorry forgot the t. will I guess if I can't say it man I sure can afford it oh well I know which one is number one in my heart is My Maverick and that rankenstein ruck better be careful because if my Mad Dog Maverick ever sees one it just might pee on its tires šŸ™„

cmfo

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An Award for a Vaporware Truck.

Most awards are for something that was actually done not something you may do.

Imagine the uproar that would happen in NFL sports if they gave out MVP rewards or Offensive/Defensive player of the year awards before the start of the season.
Yep, reminds me of Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I don't see this as a bad thing. Maverick made it into the top four and that is pretty cool. I think the price point weighed heavily on MotorTrend when considering the Mav. Especially when you consider the competition they pitted this pickup against. The price points of all three of them is off the charts compared to the Mav.

All things considered the Maverick was punching well above its weight class in this group.

Last edited:
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a capitalist and America First person I applaud the Rivian and the fact that it is made in the USA for Americans by Americans.
How do you feel about the proposed EV incentives -- a good part of which are based on using American parts and doing the assembly in the USA with union labor?

Those incentives -- if enacted -- will probably result in increased sales of USA made EVs. (I know I'll be more likely to buy one if I can reduce my income taxes at the same time.)

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

whtnrdy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you buy one and drive it? No? Then shouldn't be on the list. Not my publication to run though LOL.
I don't know how I saw one, but I saw one on the road the other day near my office. Crazy because I still haven't seen another Maverick.

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
I don't know how I saw one, but I saw one on the road the other day near my office. Crazy because I still haven't seen another Maverick.
They were testing one here in Asheville,NC too.

Ford Maverick MotorTend names Rivian R1T Truck of the Year IMG-2126.PNG

hopkin22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Well my wife just laughed at me when I told her the maverick didnā€™t win. She said itā€™s because the maverick looks like a toy truck. She called it a ā€œhot wheelsā€ and told me just to get a real truck. Now Iā€™m contemplating my orderā€¦.

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rivian deserved it, but Ford will be laughing itā€™s way to the bank. Itā€™s kinda like the Toyota argument too. They were ok building tons of hybrids instead of EV since it makes a bigger environmental contribution and more scale.

Ford will be selling these like hot cakes and then selling the crazy in demand Lightning... without having to use the probably pricey Rivian tech that Ford is part investor in. Long term winner, Ford (coming from a non fanboy too)
Sponsored