Sponsored

Maverick uses same hybrid system as escape? Any 12v battery issues?

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was reading in some escape hybrid forum and saw many complaints about 12v battery issue for relative new cars. Is maverick using the same hybrid as escape?
Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
It's mechanically very reliable, but the Maverick Hybrid will be a descendent of a hybrid system that's had 12v battery drain issues on the last two generations. Nothing to do with the hybrid drivetrain. per se, but rather the unique software. TSB issued for affected Escapes; mine's been fine to 27K miles, and I traded the C-Max with the original 12v battery. Nothing I'd worry about.

OP
OP

j1truck

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EGolf
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's mechanically very reliable, but the Maverick Hybrid will be a descendent of a hybrid system that's had 12v battery drain issues on the last two generations. Nothing to do with the hybrid drivetrain. per se, but rather the unique software. TSB issued for affected Escapes; mine's been fine to 27K miles, and I traded the C-Max with the original 12v battery. Nothing I'd worry about.
thanks.
I was worrying about the 12v issue. Some people said they had to switch out to a larger agm battery.

thanks

Sponsored

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a bit concerned about the 12v battery, too. Judging from the size of the battery enclosure under the rear seat, it'll be impossible to upgrade the battery, should the need arise. Keeping the 12v battery in a fully charged state is going to be one of my top priorities.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
12V battery charging issues are pretty common for a lot of modern hybrids and EVs where there's no alternator. Just about every manufacturer has encountered it.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully they've worked out the kinks. I just replaced my OE 12v battery on my 08 Toyota Prius at 186,000 miles. Hopefully the Maverick's lasts just as long! 🤪

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First, explain what 12v battery issues have been occurring on Ford Hybrids please.

Yes, there is no alternator on the Hybrid but there is a DC/DC Converter that charges the battery. The DC/DC Converter maintains the 12v system when the vehicle is switched on taking its source from the High Voltage Traction Battery. The DC/DC Converter steps the voltage down and acts like an alternator. The only time the 12v battery should be needing an outside charge is if the vehicle is parked for a very long time.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I have not had any 12v issues on either hybrid, but I read forums, so can report what others have experienced.

12V battery charging issues are pretty common for a lot of modern hybrids ...
Ford's issue does not involve charging. I see no reports of low voltage while running. I measure 14.5-15v.
First, explain what 12v battery issues have been occurring on Ford Hybrids please. ...
The problem is a parasitic load that discharges the battery after the car is turned off. Normal operation includes up to 10 minutes of active 12v accessories, like the radio (mine turns off when I open a door). The duration of this period has been used as a surrogate for battery condition, shorter than 10 minutes indicating an aged battery, down to ~2 minutes at end-of-life.

The symptoms are all due to low 12v battery voltage. The car can't sense your presence, so doors won't unlock. When you get in, pressing start does nothing. You have a "dead car." Folks report ~11.5v on the 12v battery, and find the car going into "deep sleep" mode quickly, when it's supposed to take a week.

There is an AGM battery that's a drop in replacement, but why? The 12v ought to last as long as any other vehicle. 12v systems are common across drivetrains, save for charging source and starting loads.

Sponsored

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have not had any 12v issues on either hybrid, but I read forums, so can report what others have experienced.

Ford's issue does not involve charging. I see no reports of low voltage while running. I measure 14.5-15v.

The problem is a parasitic load that discharges the battery after the car is turned off. Normal operation includes up to 10 minutes of active 12v accessories, like the radio (mine turns off when I open a door). The duration of this period has been used as a surrogate for battery condition, shorter than 10 minutes indicating an aged battery, down to ~2 minutes at end-of-life.

The symptoms are all due to low 12v battery voltage. The car can't sense your presence, so doors won't unlock. When you get in, pressing start does nothing. You have a "dead car." Folks report ~11.5v on the 12v battery, and find the car going into "deep sleep" mode quickly, when it's supposed to take a week.

There is an AGM battery that's a drop in replacement, but why? The 12v ought to last as long as any other vehicle. 12v systems are common across drivetrains, save for charging source and starting loads.
Okay, I understand. Some of the early driver detection systems when introduced on Lincoln caused some substantial battery drain issues. Most culprits are usually CAN bus related. When a module on the bus wakes up the whole bus wakes up. The rotory shift knob is a good indicator; if the PRNDL is illuminated the bus is awake.

I had an issue with my Fusion in 2020 with battery drain. My car sat for 3 months and when I tried to start it (it did start) my battery voltage during the start dropped below 9.5 volts which caused many 'Uxxxxxx' codes which relate to communications between modules. I also had low voltage codes. Unfortunately the Restraints Module fried itself as a result. Luckily all was repaired in warranty.

I wonder how many internet forum complaints are due to people working from home and leaving their vehicle sit.

I do know one thing, on the hybrid the 12v battery is huge. In one of the Chicago auto show pics the cover was off the battery and people mistook it for the Traction Battery but it is not because it had battery posts and the cables were not orange.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do know one thing, on the hybrid the 12v battery is huge. In one of the Chicago auto show pics the cover was off the battery and people mistook it for the Traction Battery but it is not because it had battery posts and the cables were not orange.
Would you care to share some? For the hybrid I thought the battery was stored in the rear seat compartment, and from the pics of those they look pretty modest IMO. But I haven’t inspected it too closely.

Fast64Ranchero

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted 96 F150, 65 Mustang, 2021 R3
The 12V Car battery is under the rear seat passenger side, The Hybrid HV Traction battery is located under the truck passenger side. the two are completely different

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Would you care to share some? For the hybrid I thought the battery was stored in the rear seat compartment, and from the pics of those they look pretty modest IMO. But I haven’t inspected it too closely.
When you do the Build and Price on the Ford site and tick the 2.5l hybrid you can see the 12V and EV battery locations...
Ford Maverick Maverick uses same hybrid system as escape? Any 12v battery issues? Hybrid battery.JPG

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So is the battery under the seat the only battery and the one that powers the electric motor when the hybrid is running off electric power only or is there a second battery elsewhere?
Sponsored