Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford is not resting on the strong response to its Maverick pickup, and has begun testing a more off-road-focused prototype, as evidenced by this new prototype we spied.

Different Camo Catches Our Eye
This new prototype gets a fresh disguise treatment—different from prior Maverick’s caught before it went official. Those earlier Maverick prototypes had graphic camo stretching into the roof pillars, while leaving the lower ground effects and bumpers undisguised. This new Maverick prototype has its bumpers and side sills fully camouflaged, while the graphic wrap stops just below the door handles.

New Off-Road-Focused Front Bumper
While all current Mavericks get traditional front bumpers, this prototype shows signs of a new front skid plate, and a design that promises a much better approach angle. What at first glance looks like a disguised bumper with a rather low front chin, looks phony upon closer examination. It appears that Ford's disguise artists have placed fake caps on the outer corners of the front bumper, to hide the new clearance-minded design treatment.

FX4-Based Prototype
This prototype has a visible FX4 sticker on the rear corners, and the visible independent rear suspension confirms that this Maverick is AWD.

It’s too early to tell how deep Ford will go down the off-road rabbit hole on this Maverick prototype, but it’s clear that efforts are under way to keep the lineup fresh as it goes into its second year on sale. As we know, Ford trademarked the name “Rattler”, and many believe this new moniker is destined for a special-edition, more off-road capable Maverick. We’re not sure of the name, or what else might be hiding beneath that camouflage, but Ford is clearly working on a special new Maverick variant to satisfy more adventurous customers.

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-1

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-2

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-3

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-4

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-5

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-6

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-7

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-8

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-9

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-10

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-11

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-12

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-13

Ford Maverick Maverick "Rattler" Off-Road Prototype Spied Testing! ford-maverick-offroad-rattler-prototype-spied-14
Sponsored

Leadphinger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman (SOLD)
In the low speed shots, its pretty obviously lifted with an off-road bumper for better approach angle...probably has a proper locker in the rear....or at the very least, the clutched diff from the BS.

I wish Ford would announce this thing before my build is scheduled so I can make an informed decision.

EDIT: The ride height in the OP's photos is taller in the first few photos of the truck in the rain. The ride height also appears to change in one picture to the next in the lower images too. Could this thing be rolling on a variable height, air suspension?

Last edited:

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was 100% certain the next model year would have more of the Bronco Sport features and be more offroad capable. Great news.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Given it is a Ford though, I think "rattler" is an awful marketing blender to pick for a name. It just really opens the whole thing up for a lot of jokes. I mean, I just ordered an XL and it's already going to be a rattler.

Goldrush72

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Mach1 18 Ecosport 08 Sebring
That makes my brsin hurt!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a tiny decal at rear of bed just below bed rim and between the FX4 decal and tail lights on both sides. Can't get enough resolution to make out what it says...

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a tiny decal at rear of bed just below bed rim and between the FX4 decal and tail lights on both sides. Can't get enough resolution to make out what it says...
It says "FE330004" It's on the driver and rear passenger doors also.

Sponsored

IPunchCholla

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 E150, 2014 Leaf
FE330004?

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks like the fenders got some treatment. I'm guessing maybe a plastic surround to protect the paint. Could also just be part of the camouflage.

Zepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman S, Maverick XLT (Alto Blue), Altrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why does everyone say this? Like the 2.3L is some magical unit.. I think most fail to realize the Lincoln Corsair can be optioned with the 2.0L or the 2.3L..

It's slightly worse on fuel and only marginally better in performance.

Look at Car & Driver tests of 2.0L AWD vs 2.3L AWD... doesn't seem worthwhile to me. I'm surprised it's even an option in the Lincoln to be honest. The 2.3L was actually 0.1 sec slower in the quarter and takes longer to brake considering the added weight of 20" wheels on 2.3L and only 19" on the 2.0L.

2.0L AWD ----------------------------- 2.3L AWD

1635791658873.png

2022 Lincoln Corsair Review, Pricing, and Specs (caranddriver.com)

Per the article:
"We'd also recommend sticking with the 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder as its performance is very similar to the more expensive 2.3-liter's."
I think what you're failing to realize is that the 2.3 you provide C&D results for is in a very low state of tune. Why don't you take a look at some of the other Ford cars using the 2.3L.
Point is its more robust and opens up a whole lot more power in not just aftermarket tunes but in factory tunes.

Its actually weird that you chose the 2.3L in the Lincoln as your example. Why not choose the 2.3L ecoboost mustang? It makes 310 hp and 350 lb ft of torque in that car, from the factory.

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Going to be lots of $$$ most likely erasing the “affordable truck” argument. I feel like that’s a waste for most people and the people that actually need a strong off road vehicle will likely be disappointed. A new Frontier Pro4x will probably run circles around it for off roading. Ford will make money though and people will buy them.
Sponsored