Fleshman03

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
David Lynch would not approve of the Maverick's camera/screen.

Seriously -- it's just as good as my 2017 Cruze's camera and my wife's 2015 C-Max's setup. It's better than our old 2016 Sorento. If Ford needed to save $25 (cost) with this camera vs. a higher quality one, I'm fine with that for a lower cost vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the "old'n days" we used to turn our shoulders and head to the right rear and look back with our eyes. We would also utilize all of the mirrors.
If you don't think the backup camera is an improvement over the "old'n days," just put a piece of tape over the lens. Then it won't bother you.

I'm going to do that as a temporary measure. But when I have time I'm going to take out the head unit and replace it with an AM radio and 8-track tape. I'm also going to fill in the cup-holders with epoxy so I can go back to holding my coffee between my legs.

Then, once I disable the anti-lock braking system and power steering, everything will be perfect!

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
If you don't think the backup camera is an improvement over the "old'n days," just put a piece of tape over the lens. Then it won't bother you.

I'm going to do that as a temporary measure. But when I have time I'm going to take out the head unit and replace it with an AM radio and 8-track tape. I'm also going to fill in the cup-holders with epoxy so I can go back to holding my coffee between my legs.

Then, once I disable the anti-lock braking system and power steering, everything will be perfect!
You might as well take out the air bags as well.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had a 2016 Dodge Challenger RT that did not have a back up camera.... It was very scary trying to back out of a parking place at the grocery store. While the camera on the Maverick isn't the best out there... it works, I can see behind me and I am happy with that.

Sponsored

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people may be coming from very old vehicles, where they just don't know any better.

This is the camera in a Tucson/Santa Cruz for example:
Screen-Shot-2021-11-03-at-2.24.31-PM-913x1024.png

Capture.JPG
Having had a 2020 santa fe limited, i agree there are different levels of screen resolution. however, comparing a 360 camera to a simple back up cam is two different beasts.

Vitamin G

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Umm what?! Im not one of the ones complaining, but I need to go outside and see if mine has a protective film.
Same here... I am going to check mine as well. Lol

ttheroux

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well shit it seems 50/50 mixed opinions I don’t know what to think. Very curious to see myself when I get it.
I agree that the idea of cheapening the camera itself as a cost cutting measure makes no sense. Unless it’s different beast from retail aftermarket cams that are easily $25 or less for 720p which is probably higher res than the display… maybe it was a matter of supply chain woes for specific cameras they use?
Or it’s literally the same cam as other cars in this class and some homies are either used to grandeur or got some lemons?
I installed and wired a $25 720p reverse cam in my 2003 Accord and it’s legit. No turn lines of course but it has it’s own bright LEDs and I can see easily at night. I fully expect the Mav cam to be worse, because my $300 1080p 10” head unit I installed in my Accord has wireless carplay lol. The idea that my 2003 Accord has a better infotainment screen is hilarious to me.
The resolution on my 2013 Accord is so much better. 9 years of technological progress shouldn’t mean taking a step backwards . The display is fine in terms of resolution, its definitely the camera that is terrible. I would definitely be interested in upgrading the stock camera if that is an option.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe it partly because I've never had a car with a backup camera, but I have no problem with the one on the maverick. It's not IMAX, but it does its job just fine. Never had an issue seeing things behind me

emkobg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My camera is trash. Looks like a low fps 90s first person shooter video game. Sometimes when I first start it the camera is delayed 3 or 4 seconds after I put it into reverse. There is room for improvement

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My main beef with the backup camera is that it gets dirty very easily, any decent rain storm will make it unusable. The other issue is, when I have the tailgate down, the thing points straight down at the ground. An F250 I drive for work does that too though, so maybe thats just a truck "feature".

OdinStormfist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last weekend I was in a rented a 2 year old Nissan Armada driving for an event and the camera quality or at least the image being displayed on the screen for the back up camera was complete crap. It was really low resolution for any of today’s standards and did a horrible job adjusting for dark and light condition. I could not see with such low resolution and poor low light pick up.

In comparison I had a 2015 and 2018 Jeep Renegade and although smaller screens the images were crisp and did well even in low light situations. I could see everything even in or around the rear of the vehicle in low light situations.

I have had my Maverick for almost 2 weeks now and I don’t know what people are complaining about. I have found it to be more than satisfactory for the job it is intended to do.

I mean this is probably not a camera you would mount on a drone and fly 300 feet in the air and pick out 2 mating chipmunks. I guess some people just want to be picky and have to find something to satiate their inner Tim “The Toolman” Taylor and say it needs more power.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's about the same quality as our Camry . the big difference is that the Mav shows turn angles which is helpful and I like . Camry shows just straight back . the back up camera on the Mav works for me .

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our Maverick XL's backup cam was significantly worse than the one in our G70 but significantly better (esp in low light) than the one in family member's new 22 Civic Touring. Odd misstep for that car.
Sponsored