elgin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always back into my garage because my Maverick is only about 10 inches shorter than the garage,, so I use the camera to stop about 4 inches short of the wall. Today I was backing my '22 hybrid XL into my garage... I hit the wall. The camera showed that I was still about six feet from the wall. As I pulled forward, wondering what I had hit, I realized that the camera had frozen and still showed the same picture - about six feet from the wall.

After shutting off and restarting, the camera worked as it should. Truck OK, but my wall needs to have a pretty big hole repaired.

Has anyone else ever had a backup camera fail like this (in your Mav, or any other vehicle?) This is the first vehicle I have owned with a backup camera and I guess I'll stop using it and go back to looking at the rear view mirror.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
nope I have not, don't trust it completely anyway, bumper sensors same story.
guess I'm not a trusting guy

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldnā€™t ever completely trust any vehicle cameras and they usually say look around also, thatā€™s what mirrors are for šŸ˜‰. Iā€™ve had the camera/infotainment screen black out but never noticed just the camera freeze?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Havenā€™t had issues with mine but I seem to recall some post in the past about screen lagging/freezing on some non sync 3 displays. Maybe try resetting the infotainment system and updating it to the latest version if needed, then do some test backing up and checking measurements. But like others said the normal old school physically looking back thru the back window and mirrors a good practice especially in tight spots

PRH

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes! I had a camera freeze and I watched the same frozen pic for over 50 miles until I pulled over, stopped, opened the door, restarted and it returned to normal. Never happened again...

Sponsored

Big C

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cecil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always back into my garage because my Maverick is only about 10 inches shorter than the garage,, so I use the camera to stop about 4 inches short of the wall. Today I was backing my '22 hybrid XL into my garage... I hit the wall. The camera showed that I was still about six feet from the wall. As I pulled forward, wondering what I had hit, I realized that the camera had frozen and still showed the same picture - about six feet from the wall.

After shutting off and restarting, the camera worked as it should. Truck OK, but my wall needs to have a pretty big hole repaired.

Has anyone else ever had a backup camera fail like this (in your Mav, or any other vehicle?) This is the first vehicle I have owned with a backup camera and I guess I'll stop using it and go back to looking at the rear view mirror.
A couple months ago and leaving the grocery store I started to back out and of course the backup camera came on. As I pulled forward be back up camera froze. I tried to reset it, by trying to go to different screens for the radio or the phone without any success. I then go home about 2 miles and just as I turned into my community things went back to normal. It has not happened since so I have not gotten it checked out.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've noticed ours glitch out and freeze for a half second or two at times, so I always still use caution when looking at the camera.

Cobra1guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Cobra1guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling. That never fails.

Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling that never fails.

Sponsored

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...I guess I'll stop using it and go back to looking at the rear view mirror.
Hang a tennis ball (or similar) from the ceiling and line it up with the top of your windshield. I can park my Maverick within an inch or so to where I want it...

Ford Maverick Backup camera fail Ball

Travisturn20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My backup camera failed and had to be replaced under warranty. It happened during the hottest part of the Texas summer. When reverse was engaged with the temps in the mid-90s, the dash screen would show "Back up camera failed. Please contact dealer." I opened the access panel in the tailgate, and thought the connector harness had gotten pinched, and the temperature was causing the wiring to swell, but after the dealer ran diagnostics, the camera came back as malfunctioning and it was replaced.

vRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
Everyone who has experienced an issue with the camera freezing or lagging should report it on the NHTSA website. If there multiple reports of the same issue then Ford will investigate and fix it.

OP
OP

elgin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for all your replies.

Good idea about the tennis ball. I have hung one up and now drive forward into the garage. It stops me exactly five inches away from the wall every time.

Also I took the advice about reporting the accident to NHTSA
Sponsored