First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a hybrid with 7600 miles on it so far. My washer fluid was low and I had a dash warning. While putting in new washer fluid I saw that the engine coolant tank was below the minimum level. I also checked the oil and saw it was at the bottom of dipstick. There were no signs of water in the oil.

Any idea where my coolant and oil may have gone? I've had no visible leaks or burning odor.
Sponsored

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a hybrid with 7600 miles on it so far. My washer fluid was low and I had a dash warning. While putting in new washer fluid I saw that the engine coolant tank was below the minimum level. I also checked the oil and saw it was at the bottom of dipstick. There were no signs of water in the oil.

Any idea where my coolant and oil may have gone? I've had no visible leaks or burning odor.
go to the dealer instead of asking us. You better let them check it out and record it in case a warranty work needs to be done.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
if you were getting water in your oil the level wouldn't be low as a rule
it would be high and milky

OP
OP

Mvrck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
go to the dealer instead of asking us. You better let them check it out and record it in case a warranty work needs to be done.
Earliest appointment I could get was February after I called the dealership yesterday. Looking for some insight in the mean time

OP
OP

Mvrck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if you were getting water in your oil the level wouldn't be low as a rule
it would be high and milky
There's no evidence of coolant mixing in the oil so if it is a head gasket issue it would be on the intake side where it's being burnt instead of mixing.

Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There's no evidence of coolant mixing in the oil so if it is a head gasket issue it would be on the intake side where it's being burnt instead of mixing.
then you'd likely smell it and see white smoke

KevCuRaoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Have you had your oil changed yet?

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you confirm all fluids were at proper levels prior? Is it possible coolant & oil were low to begin with?

Assuming fluid levels were full at delivery, the coolant is a bit easier to explain, as air can often get trapped in the system, purging out over time, lowering the level slightly.

The oil however, is a lot tougher, *IF* it was full at delivery. and there are no leaks, the only other option is consumption. Neither is good.

If you can't confirm fluid level at delivery, you'll need to top everything up, and watch it closely for a few thousand miles, to confirm what's going on.

OP
OP

Mvrck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you confirm all fluids were at proper levels prior? Is it possible coolant & oil were low to begin with?

Assuming fluid levels were full at delivery, the coolant is a bit easier to explain, as air can often get trapped in the system, purging out over time, lowering the level slightly.

The oil however, is a lot tougher, *IF* it was full at delivery. and there are no leaks, the only other option is consumption. Neither is good.

If you can't confirm fluid level at delivery, you'll need to top everything up, and watch it closely for a few thousand miles, to confirm what's going on.
Can't say I checked the oil on delivery, but the coolant was full at delivery

Sponsored

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Coincidentally in Michigan with 7600 miles also, but on second oil change. No fluid losses yet, but always worthwhile to check oil level early on just to get a baseline reading. Previous advice all good.

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you check these things immediately after you had driven the car and the engine was still warm? Your fluid levels will be low as it’s being circulated through the oil and cooling system.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s not unusual to experience some oil consumption in the first few thousand miles of operation.

Also not unusual for residual air to purge out of the cooling system.

I would top off both, run the truck, let it sit over night, and take pictures of both levels cold for future comparison.....

Good luck OP

Last edited:

tkammen270

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav, 92 Legacy, 05 WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Change your oil! It amazes me how long people go without changing oil. Engines consume oil. I would not go past 5k miles without an oil change even on a newer vehicle. For the coolant top it off and keep an eye on it.
Sponsored