Sponsored

Is there a benefit to using higher octane gas in the hybrid?

mavycactusgrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Ford Maverick Hybrid
XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey Owner... Put about 2k miles on my maverick so far and have loved it. Utah located, so cold weather. I am getting about 37 MPG, %80 highway though. Using 91 octane every fill up so far, but have read that it may not be beneficial? My local Costco only carries 85 and 91, so I pick 91 right now. Would love anyone thoughts, especially fellow hybrid owners. What is working to maximize your MPG?
- Yes I know city driving is more efficient
- Yes cold weather makes mpg drop
- Yes I change It to eco drive mode as often as I can remember (damn the fact that you can't default it!)

TYIA!
Sponsored

Mavman123

First Name
Joe Shmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick XLT
You are wasting money. The octane number has nothing to do with the energy density of the fuel. It has to do with the fuels resistance to detonation in the engine. Most fuel is 10% ethanol(E10). Ethanol does have a lower energy density than gasoline, so buying ethanol free fuel will provide a 2 to 4% increase in mpg. However, ethanol free fuel is often much more than 4% more per gallon than E10 so there is no benefit

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XLT Hybrid Cactus Grey Owner... Put about 2k miles on my maverick so far and have loved it. Utah located, so cold weather. I am getting about 37 MPG, %80 highway though. Using 91 octane every fill up so far, but have read that it may not be beneficial? My local Costco only carries 85 and 91, so I pick 91 right now. Would love anyone thoughts, especially fellow hybrid owners. What is working to maximize your MPG?
- Yes I change It to eco drive mode as often as I can remember (damn the fact that you can't default it!)

TYIA!
I do believe the manual says 87 octane

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess If its only between 91 or 85 I would keep using the 91... User manual says 85 will void warranty.

Sponsored

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is The hybrid a flex fuel vehicle?

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided

TYIA!
I’ve actually put a sticky note in pink with the word “ECO” on it near the “tranny dial” so I see it every time I startup as a reminder. Eventually maybe I won’t need it.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

TYIA!
FYI looked up high altitude 85 octane found this!!!!
Because the air is less dense, less air flows to your car's engine. This translates to a slightly richer air-fuel ratio, and deters engine knock. For that reason, you'll find that regular gas carries an 85 octane rating here in Denver and throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana.Aug 20, 2019

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. The only exception maybe is if your towing. But even still probably doesnt matter.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't need 91, but Ford specifically says don't use 85 either. So I'm not sure what to tell you.

Sponsored

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One guy tried a full tank of 91 and got 1mpg more. Not worth the $. BUT, the manual says it's good to use 91 in very hot weather. I'll try it this summer.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Hybrid has an Atkinson cycle engine, different than the Otto cycle most gasoline cars use. The Atkinson engine is better mpg and power at running in a certain speed, at moderate (not max!) power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

Different octane levels are used for different compressions- and for the Atkinson, I don't believe the higher octane would ever matter.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried b/c my company paid for a road trip and no perceivable difference. Dug into it and the hardware on the hybrid doesn't have anything that would take advantage of higher octane

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I tried b/c my company paid for a road trip and no perceivable difference. Dug into it and the hardware on the hybrid doesn't have anything that would take advantage of higher octane
^^^ Exactly this. ^^^
Sponsored