Sponsored

Is getting a sport exhaust worth it for a hybrid?

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have tried to google this but did not find a good answer. Is it worth getting a better exhaust for a hybrid? In theory it should give a few hp and help mpg right? Or is it not recommended since the electric motor and engine have been tuned to work together with stock parts. I would think that having hybrids on the market for the past 2 decades would have more people modding them, but I guess most people who drive a Prius would have not interest in improving performance.
No, because the engine doesnā€™t run all the time.
Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I saw that video, I wondered at first if it was a pre-production prototype with a mild steel exhaust with zero coating. Thatā€™s one item Iā€™m sure I will swap out. I plan on keeping mine for at least 10-12 years so the $100 or so for a stainless muffler wonā€™t be wasted.
I will replace it if and when it rusts out. Why do it before?

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
NO

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Old guy here, I love how quiet our lariat is, so no noise makers for me.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I saw that video, I wondered at first if it was a pre-production prototype with a mild steel exhaust with zero coating. Thatā€™s one item Iā€™m sure I will swap out. I plan on keeping mine for at least 10-12 years so the $100 or so for a stainless muffler wonā€™t be wasted.
I was wondering the same thing. Had a good look at it while underneath removing the underbody covers to have undercoating done and my muffler looked fine, similar appearance to my Toyota's.

Cheers.

Sponsored

AURktman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-X
Engine
Undecided
I was wondering the same thing. Had a good look at it while underneath removing the underbody covers to have undercoating done and my muffler looked fine, similar appearance to my Toyota's.

Cheers.
I may just pull it off, clean, and paint with high temp paint to keep it from rusting on the outside.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Most likely won't give any gains, and 4 cylinders sound like crap with loud exhaust.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you want a little extra noise just remove the resonator. I personally love how quite the hybrid is. I can barely hear it with the music on!!

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use to notice increased speed on my bicycle when I would clothespin a playing card from a fender brace Ito the spokes.

Sometimes 2 WOW did that baby go then !! :) And the noise just like a race car !!

Sponsored

Keith K

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have tried to google this but did not find a good answer. Is it worth getting a better exhaust for a hybrid? In theory it should give a few hp and help mpg right? Or is it not recommended since the electric motor and engine have been tuned to work together with stock parts. I would think that having hybrids on the market for the past 2 decades would have more people modding them, but I guess most people who drive a Prius would have not interest in improving performance.

Are there any other possible mods for increased performance on a hybrid?

Keith K

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Are there any other possible mods for increased performance on a hybrid?
The exhaust system is already large for only being a 2.5ltr engine.

Vaportrail

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its already got a great exhaust, but I want to make it sound somewhat offensive when I hit Low gear and the engine brake kicks in-

Who cares if it helps the gas mileage???
Sponsored