First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes from what I've read it can hold transfer of power from ice to wheel gear under some conditions. This is probably one of those. Do not know if or if not enough induced current (would be small since if pedal is not pressed battery should not be energizing stator) is able to cause any creep which I doubt. I will read your links later today, thanks!
Sponsored

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes from what I've read it can hold transfer of power from ice to wheel gear under some conditions. This is probably one of those. Do not know if or if not enough induced current (would be small since if pedal is not pressed battery should not be energizing stator) is able to cause any creep which I doubt. I will read your links later today, thanks!
I don't expect any creep. Engine off and motor not energized.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'm kinda glad I won't have to tinker with 40+ years of conditioned response.
Ford's PSD hybrids behave exactly the same as a conventional drivetrain in this respect. In DRIVE, you will move forward slowly on flat road. If you drop throttle at speed, you will feel some regen braking, just like conventional engine braking.

There is one difference. As the brakes age, you can feel the transition to friction brakes at very low speed.
I didn't realize the no-TC. That will be interesting!
It's worse; with a PSD, there's not even a place to put one!

The most common hybrid drivetrain is the TC-replacement. Replace the torque converter with an electric motor/belt driven generator, and use EV at speeds too slow for ICE/direct gearing. From there, the motor tends to disappear (Ford Explorer Hybrid), or it can take over (Hyundai plug-in hybrids). Either way, you still shift gears in these drivetrains, so they can feel just like conventional.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure why anyone thinks the car won't creep forward if it is in drive with no brake applied. It will absolutely creep forward. It will do this under electric power only, but if it has to start the engine to creep forward then it will start the engine. It will not just sit.

I don't even have to drive one to know this. They are all this way. :ROFLMAO:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't even have to drive one to know this. They are all this way. :ROFLMAO:
There is a contingent of the EV crowd who want to drive like a bumper car with one pedal. So it doesn't move unless you touch the throttle and closed throttle is max regen. Modern Teslas don't even use blended braking so pressing the brake pedal doesn't give any regen, just applies the friction brakes.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is a contingent of the EV crowd who want to drive like a bumper car with one pedal. So it doesn't move unless you touch the throttle and closed throttle is max regen. Modern Teslas don't even use blended braking so pressing the brake pedal doesn't give any regen, just applies the friction brakes.
That might work on a Tesla, but the Maverick is going to creep along.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's interesting, I watched some videos and they show regen braking happens when you release the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal doesn't apply additional regeneration, but it is still is doing the 'standard' regen when you are using the brake pedal. I wonder why they chose to do that -- why not grab more regen if you can?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's interesting, I watched some videos and they show regen braking happens when you release the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal doesn't apply additional regeneration, but it is still is doing the 'standard' regen when you are using the brake pedal. I wonder why they chose to do that -- why not grab more regen if you can?
Would it surprise you that Tesla likes to be different and owners will staunchly defend their design decisions even when they could optionally offer a traditional experience?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
That might work on a Tesla,
And on the Ford hybrid, press the "L" in the middle and you'll get a mode very like hydrostatic drive (eg. lawn tractor).
and brake pedal doesn't apply additional regeneration, but it is still is doing the 'standard' regen when you are using the brake pedal
Not sure what you mean by "additional" vs. "standard" regen braking. My HF45 Escape does this.

Off-throttle at speed, I see regen braking applied at ~0.2 x speed in MPH. At 60 mph, I see ~12kW regen. In ECO mode, it's 0.4 x speed, so ~24kW a 60 mph.

You'll also likely have "Hill Assist" which uses regen to maintain speed downhill. It will apply up to 35kW braking, the maximum power the inverter can pass to the HVB.

Press the brake pedal and you will also access up to 35kW of braking before friction brakes come into play, down to ~5 mph when braking becomes all friction.

I expect the Maverick Hybrid will have similar regen limits.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And on the Ford hybrid, press the "L" in the middle and you'll get a mode very like hydrostatic drive (eg. lawn tractor).

Not sure what you mean by "additional" vs. "standard" regen braking. My HF45 Escape does this.

Off-throttle at speed, I see regen braking applied at ~0.2 x speed in MPH. At 60 mph, I see ~12kW regen. In ECO mode, it's 0.4 x speed, so ~24kW a 60 mph.

You'll also likely have "Hill Assist" which uses regen to maintain speed downhill. It will apply up to 35kW braking, the maximum power the inverter can pass to the HVB.

Press the brake pedal and you will also access up to 35kW of braking before friction brakes come into play, down to ~5 mph when braking becomes all friction.

I expect the Maverick Hybrid will have similar regen limits.
Not sure if this is expected behavior in other XEV’s but this video shows the Tesla behavior. Tesla apparently has disabled “low” regenerative option in newer software and only standard is available.

Sponsored

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After all the reviews of the Hybrid I have not seen anyone attempt to back up a trailer. I'm curious if your towing a pop-up trailer and have to back it up a slight incline to get into your camping spot, how will the electric motor respond in reverse... Same torque as going forward?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
.... Same torque as going forward?
I've never floored my Escape in Reverse, so I don't know if the ICE can/will provide current. If not I'm limited to about 35kW, in addition to the 15 mph limit.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After all the reviews of the Hybrid I have not seen anyone attempt to back up a trailer. I'm curious if your towing a pop-up trailer and have to back it up a slight incline to get into your camping spot, how will the electric motor respond in reverse... Same torque as going forward?
The Traction Motor is what moves the vehicle from a dead stop and it has max torque when starting to spin it up from 0 MPH.

Going in reverse will have the same torque as all the Traction Motor does is spin backwards no additional gears involved going in reverse. The inverter that drives the Traction Motor just reverses the AC polarity on two of the three windings on the Traction Motor to go in reverse.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
my 2 cents
I will omit Tesla because the Maverick is much more like my Prius. I also owned a Chevy Plug in Volt.

1st. Weird noises backing up. Some states require electric cars to emit a sound when backing up to help people see you because they can now hear your car. If gas engine is not running a vehicle moving under electric power is silent. My Volt had an electronic noise played through a speaker that warned people. My Prius does not or my hearing is so bad I don't hear it.

2nd. The Prius has L on the shift selector. When in L the regeneration is more present when throttle is let off. The idea is to help braking on mountainous roads where downhills require more breaking.

3rd Hill holding. Both the Volt and Prius have hill hold. The setup menu on Volt allowed it to be set OFF or 2 different time setting something like 5 or 10 seconds. So when I came to an uphill stop light and pressed the brake petal and came to a complete stop, it would then help when the light turned green by holding the car on the hill for 5 or 10 seconds that allowed me to take foot off break and get foot pressing on the gas pedal. A nice feature.

4. Creep; When I start the Prius the parking brake is on. If batter is charged enough the gas motor will not start when I press the START button. I put it in gear, usually R to back out. When release the park brake, the car starts going backward up my driveway. My Volt also would do that when parking brake released. So like any automatic car I ever drove, creep is real so just like all cars, you have your foot on the brake pedal when you put it in R or D.

5. Regeneration: The Volt actually had a paddle on the backside of the steering wheel. When I pressed it when I wanted to slow down, it increased the regeneration braking putting more voltage back into the batteries than just normal slowing down would. It released at 2 miles per hour. I found this feature to really reduce the amount I had to actually brake using the foot petal. The Prius with is much smaller battery and it's regen process is fully automatic so it regens when you back off the gas. If the gas motor was running it might shut off and decide to run on electric if I don't apply much throttle and if the battery has sufficient charge to do so.

6. Getting high MPG; In the Prius, I often speed up (using gas engine and light throttle) to get up to speed (35-40) and if I top a hill I then get off the gas reducing engine load which shuts off the gas engine and I maintain speed using light throttle and electricity only. My MPG goes way up. I have gone to town to a store 7 miles away and have gotten 78mpg doing so. The major key to good mileage with a hybrid is easy throttle (not pokey throttle so don't hold up traffic) or do jack rabbit starts and stops. Common sense.

I believe my 2016 Prius has exactly the same type of transmission the Maverick has (dual motor). So therefore I think it will drive and act just like it. I like our Prius. We just drove it 1410 miles last week.

Now My Volt has 2 electric motors which drove the front axle to the wheels b a strong linked chain. No transmission so the Maverick is nothing like that in a Maverick.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember, the hybrid transmission does not have a torque converter like a conventional automatic. It is more like a manual transmission with the clutch pressed in. It will roll down a slight slope forward or backward.
What are you talking about, go drive one. I don’t think you know what a torque converter is or how it works either, dual clutch automatics and normal CVTs don’t roll either so it’s nothing special about being a torque converter.

For anyone else reading this, it’s not going to roll…
Sponsored