Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, but he is saying that if the Maverick would sit completely still on level round without brake applied, then auto hold would not even be present on the vehicle. I don't understand the hang up here.
Previous post said they owned other brands of hybrids that creep and they felt the maverick hybrid would too. With the engine not running I wanted to know why.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Previous post said they owned other brands of hybrids that creep and they felt the maverick hybrid would too. With the engine not running I wanted to know why.
The long and short of it is that it will be designed to do so because that's what people are used to and what they expect.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Re-READ what I wrote:

What purpose would Auto Hold have if the Maverick didn't creep when the brake pedal is released?

Auto Hold is there because the Maverick will creep when the brake pedal is released.
Ever drive in San Francisco?

OP
OP
MLA62563

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is abundantly clear from the complete lack of consensus here, the only way we are going to find out for sure if the Maverick will creep…is to see for ourselves. Now if Ford will only get our damn trucks made and delivered!

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get it. As a software programmer I tried to make computer systems look as much like the old paper systems as posable to make the over 30 crowd comfortable.
:LOL: so you're the one, I've been looking for you!
A coworker is still looking for "the" programer who caused Y2K :love:

One of the most fun trouble tickets I ever had was "my word perfect button is GONE..HELP!
The user had stacked her icons :eek: (if you can stack your papers/books on top of each other on the real desk, then I "should" be able to do it on the computer"....right....

I luv it(y) big bucks for people who fix things

Sponsored

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

:LOL: so you're the one, I've been looking for you!
A coworker is still looking for "the" programer who caused Y2K :love:

One of the most fun trouble tickets I ever had was "my word perfect button is GONE..HELP!
The user had stacked her icons :eek: (if you can stack your papers/books on top of each other on the real desk, then I "should" be able to do it on the computer"....right....

I luv it(y) big bucks for people who fix things
I was there. The company I worked for did not die from Y2K because I was I there. When asked the date why do you say 2021 we all know it's not 1921. We old guys lived and loved the two digit year. Making the new similar to the old makes us feel comfortable.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
The Traction Motor is what moves the vehicle from a dead stop and it has max torque when starting to spin it up from 0 MPH.

Going in reverse will have the same torque as all the Traction Motor does is spin backwards no additional gears involved going in reverse. The inverter that drives the Traction Motor just reverses the AC polarity on two of the three windings on the Traction Motor to go in reverse.
This is all true, but it's incomplete: where is the power coming from to supply max torque?

I maintain you will only have HVB-based torque; that the ICE will not generate power. I never see more than 35kW to or from the HVB, so about 40% of rated motor torque. That torque is then multiplied by gearing, just as in a conventional drivetrain, so no shortage of torque, but....

You won't be able to do a smoky burn-out in reverse.
Getting high MPG; In the Prius, I often speed up (using gas engine and light throttle) to get up to speed (35-40) and if I top a hill I then get off the gas reducing engine load which shuts off the gas engine and I maintain speed using light throttle and electricity only. My MPG goes way up.
It's not rocket science, and it does work very well.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just got back from the dump, excuse me, recycling center. I used my Silverado's natural tendency to creep to get into a precise location. I guess we need creep.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is abundantly clear from the complete lack of consensus here, the only way we are going to find out for sure if the Maverick will creep…is to see for ourselves. Now if Ford will only get our damn trucks made and delivered!
There's no lack of consensus, just 1/2 people repeating the same question asking why the Maverick would creep, and everyone else repeating the same answer "because people expect it to, because other (Ford and otherwise) hybrids do it."

This thread should close but here I am reviving it with my comment lol.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm too lazy right now to go look through all the review videos or look through the owners manual that someone else posted on this site, but I believe the hybrid comes with the auto-hold feature, which if it does, it is the far right button below the shift dial.

Ford Maverick Hybrid Transmission Question 1635021348704

If you are not familiar with it, it will keep the brake applied for you until you step on the gas, or in other words, eliminate the "creep." This is useful if you are sitting in traffic or long lights so you do not have to hold your foot on the brake. Or similar to a manual transmission car where it will not move forward unless you apply the gas.

So in essence, since the hybrid does have auto-hold option, it will creep when you let off the brake unless you turn that feature off by selecting auto hold.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MLA62563

MLA62563

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm too lazy right now to go look through all the review videos or look through the owners manual that someone else posted on this site, but I believe the hybrid comes with the auto-hold feature, which if it does, it is the far right button below the shift dial.

1635021348704.png

If you are not familiar with it, it will keep the brake applied for you until you step on the gas, or in other words, eliminate the "creep." This is useful if you are sitting in traffic or long lights so you do not have to hold your foot on the brake. Or similar to a manual transmission car where it will not move forward unless you apply the gas.

So in essence, since the hybrid does have auto-hold option, it will creep when you let off the brake unless you turn that feature off by selecting auto hold.
That certainly seems logical to me, but hey what do I know? I simply think that if that behavior isn't organic, the engineers would want to
simulate it...just because it is expected. And they would want new customers to experience a seamless transition to the new system. Just my two cents.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
That certainly seems logical to me, but hey what do I know? I simply think that if that behavior isn't organic, the engineers would want to
simulate it...just because it is expected. And they would want new customers to experience a seamless transition to the new system. Just my two cents.
They would 100% want to replicate it just because it was expected. When Teslas were first released, it was one of the biggest complaints that the car didn't creep.. because people have been program to expect that after driving automatic cars their whole life. They had to send a software update out to all the cars to program it in.

From a human factors standpoint, it's called expectation bias.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct. If it doesn't do it naturally, it will be designed in. It's strange how much you realize you miss that feature after you spend a long time driving a car where creeping is a no-no, like with a dual clutch.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are correct. If it doesn't do it naturally, it will be designed in. It's strange how much you realize you miss that feature after you spend a long time driving a car where creeping is a no-no, like with a dual clutch.
Agreed.

The Chevrolet Volt is quite similar to the Maverick, as far as the engine and eCVT. It does creep, because Chevrolet designed it to do so. Foot off the brake, and the electric motor is energized to make it creep. Foot on the brake, and the electric motor is de-energized. It is quite simple, and intuitive to anyone used to driving with an automatic transmission.

Nobody knows yet - but I suspect the Maverick is going to do the same. It makes sense. I will be disappointed if it doesn't.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agreed.

The Chevrolet Volt is quite similar to the Maverick, as far as the engine and eCVT. It does creep, because Chevrolet designed it to do so. Foot off the brake, and the electric motor is energized to make it creep. Foot on the brake, and the electric motor is de-energized. It is quite simple, and intuitive to anyone used to driving with an automatic transmission.

Nobody knows yet - but I suspect the Maverick is going to do the same. It makes sense. I will be disappointed if it doesn't.
It seems misleading to say the electric motor is de-energized when braking. The stator is doing some serious business when braking.
Sponsored