Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been lurking for a while on this board and decided to make an account. I know there is a "what is your maverick towing thread" But, I've ordered a Hybrid Lariat, and never had a camper but could be interested in it.

What are the best options out there for a small camper that works with the Hybrid's limitations. Is there anything worth while? My wife would probably prefer something with a bathroom in it, but I know the water weight might push some of these campers over what the hybrid can tow. Just curious what is out there or if anyone has gotten creative.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are going to be limited to a small camper/teardrops because of the 2k tow and GVWR limits. Very unlikely something like that can be optioned with a bathroom and still be in the weight limit without using some space age tech (which would be cool) and being very expensive.

This one is basically just a shell, you could possibly add a bathroom to.
https://www.weeroll.com/silver-moon

I think this one does have the option for a bathroom
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom

This one has the option for an addon shower/toilet
https://happiercamper.com/pages/hc1-travel-trailer

This one does have a toilet.
https://www.meerkattrailers.net/the-meerkat/

Toilet and shower.
https://www.roulottesprolite.com/Trailers/PLUSS/

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been lurking for a while on this board and decided to make an account. I know there is a "what is your maverick towing thread" But, I've ordered a Hybrid Lariat, and never had a camper but could be interested in it.

What are the best options out there for a small camper that works with the Hybrid's limitations. Is there anything worth while? My wife would probably prefer something with a bathroom in it, but I know the water weight might push some of these campers over what the hybrid can tow. Just curious what is out there or if anyone has gotten creative.
With 2k limit you probably will be forced to diy something. Consider a waterless potty (microwave since you have plenty electricity and can eliminate black water tank and all that water weight). Consider lightweight pop up trailer no wider or taller than maverick in travel mode. (To keep wind resistance minimal and with truck loaded max and trailer at max consider 50mph Max towing speed in warmer weather). Carry tent or make attached awning that you can hang walls from. Think about a foldup shade tent that people use at farmers market. Carry one or two 12ft inflatable kayak in truck and/or trailer. Consider making custom ultra lite cover no higher than top of cab for pickup bed to keep rain off cargo. Rear closure could be wood or cloth. Could possibly make this cover using the hollow core bifold closet doors for relative strength to weight ratio. Use good water proof penetrating sealer and should last really well. Opportunities are pretty much endless. I will probably have mine ready 8-14 months after I get my truck because it will be not a rush item.

WVX76

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray XLT FX4, Subaru Forester Wilderness
The bathroom might be tough to fit under the weight limit. As you mentioned adding water in tanks increase weight significantly. Do you intend to tow in a mostly flat area?

Frontal wind resistance often causes a hit on tow performance more than weight, so you may want to look at a small tent camper trailer with a cassette toilet (porta-potty). You'll have more space and it folds flatter for less wind resistance.

I'm going to try a roof top tent on my Yakima bed rack. I've owned a hard side camper trailer and loved it, however a roof top tent on a bed rack may work out for a more minimal camping experience.

MaineAssassin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, Flex, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are going to be limited to a small camper/teardrops because of the 2k tow and GVWR limits. Very unlikely something like that can be optioned with a bathroom and still be in the weight limit without using some space age tech (which would be cool) and being very expensive.

This one is basically just a shell, you could possibly add a bathroom to.
https://www.weeroll.com/silver-moon

I think this one does have the option for a bathroom
https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom

This one has the option for an addon shower/toilet
https://happiercamper.com/pages/hc1-travel-trailer

This one does have a toilet.
https://www.meerkattrailers.net/the-meerkat/

Toilet and shower.
https://www.roulottesprolite.com/Trailers/PLUSS/
That ProLite is REALLY cool. You pay for the low weight in cash but darn if it's not a whole lotta trailer in a small light package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Backyard-Dawg

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The bathroom might be tough to fit under the weight limit. As you mentioned adding water in tanks increase weight significantly. Do you intend to tow in a mostly flat area?

Frontal wind resistance often causes a hit on tow performance more than weight, so you may want to look at a small tent camper trailer with a cassette toilet (porta-potty). You'll have more space and it folds flatter for less wind resistance.

I'm going to try a roof top tent on my Yakima bed rack. I've owned a hard side camper trailer and loved it, however a roof top tent on a bed rack may work out for a more minimal camping experience.
Mostly flat areas. Hills but not mountains. I'd like something I could take to football games and be comfortable in for a weekend, or something I could take camping for a cheaper vacation. The biggest incline I could see would be going through Chattanooga, and I could potentially detour around that area if I needed to.

OP
OP
Backyard-Dawg

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That ProLite is REALLY cool. You pay for the low weight in cash but darn if it's not a whole lotta trailer in a small light package.
The Prolite Plus S seems like it would work nicely. 1390 lbs dry. Even if you added 30 gallons of water, that is 250 more pounds. Seems like this would give you 360 pounds of cushion before you hit the hybrids towing limits. Tongue weight is 145 lbs, so I think on the Lariat that would leave you with around 1100 pounds of payload? So with 600 lbs of people in the car, you should still have enough payload to load up the bed with up to another 500. Is that how the general math works on that?

MaineAssassin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, Flex, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Prolite Plus S seems like it would work nicely. 1390 lbs dry. Even if you added 30 gallons of water, that is 250 more pounds. Seems like this would give you 360 pounds of cushion before you hit the hybrids towing limits. Tongue weight is 145 lbs, so I think on the Lariat that would leave you with around 1100 pounds of payload? So with 600 lbs of people in the car, you should still have enough payload to load up the bed with up to another 500. Is that how the general math works on that?
Sure is, Seems like a great way to go with a cheap efficient camper that you could go anywhere with very easily. Might be worth getting a camera for the back of the camper that connects to your phone for backing up if you aren't comfortable eyeballing it as the Mav has pretty small mirrors.

Sponsored

MaineAssassin

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-450, Flex, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is really impressive... just going to cost you more than your Maverick!
Those prices were in CAD not USD, so it's less than it shows.

jwiedle24

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat w/Luxury Pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read throughout all my Maverick research that whatever the hybrid is towing is not supposed to have more than 20 square feet of _________ (drawing a blank on the word) but hope you know what I'm getting at...so keep that in mind, as the Prolite Plus S is about 6.5' wide and 7.5' tall, giving it a surface area of almost 50sq ft

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've read throughout all my Maverick research that whatever the hybrid is towing is not supposed to have more than 20 square feet of _________ (drawing a blank on the word) but hope you know what I'm getting at...so keep that in mind, as the Prolite Plus S is about 6.5' wide and 7.5' tall, giving it a surface area of almost 50sq ft
I'm still unclear on if that is 20sqft of frontal area above the cab of the truck, the bed of the truck, or just total of 20sqft of frontal space.

The other thing I am unclear on is if that requirement is for a flat frontal space. Obviously something like the prolite has a very aerodynamic teardrop front, which would be much more stable than a flat front slab of a trailer.

OP
OP
Backyard-Dawg

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is really impressive... just going to cost you more than your Maverick!
After the conversion from Candian & it comes in around 22-23K which will be more than some mavericks but most of these trailers are 15-20K so 23K doesn't seem outrageous.

OP
OP
Backyard-Dawg

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't find this in the manual. Is this just a general rule or something coming from some review videos?
Sponsored