First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
XL hybrid with factory hitch. 7 to 4 pin connector. 1860 lb trailer. Just girlfriend and I, we pack light. Am I pushing it? Personally, I think not. Just towed it home.

PXL_20220627_190158430.MP~2.jpg
If you weighed it after you loaded it and it was 2000 lb or under, you're not pushing it. The posted weight load is 2000 lbs.
Sponsored

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you weighed it after you loaded it and it was 2000 lb or under, you're not pushing it. The posted weight load is 2000 lbs.
Under ideal conditions, this might be true. However if hills, mountains and/or wind are present, being close to 2000 pounds will shorten the life of transmission.

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Under ideal conditions, this might be true. However if hills, mountains and/or wind are present, being close to 2000 pounds will shorten the life of transmission.
The suggested max load rating takes all this into account. Ford would never publish a max rating for a vehicle they weren't 100% sure the vehicle could do in any terrain. Well... with the exception of maybe extremely rugged terrain, like mud and deep ruts. In which you don't need any added weight to break most everything. Ask me how I know that one.

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't you think Ford considered that fact when they established the tow limit at 2000 lbs?

Dudley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Fords 2022 Towing guide says "Frontal Area is the total area in square feet that a moving vehicle and trailer exposes to air resistance. The chart shows the maximum trailer frontal area that must be considered for a vehicle/trailer combination. Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle."
For a Maverick they says 20 square feet w/o towing pkg. 40 square feet w/ towing pkg.
I would suggest following this even though they don't say it will void warranty because this might be "implied" in the words "significantly reduce".
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...rd_RVandTrailerTowingGuide_Fleet_r9_Jan13.pdf

Sponsored

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fords 2022 Towing guide says "Frontal Area is the total area in square feet that a moving vehicle and trailer exposes to air resistance. The chart shows the maximum trailer frontal area that must be considered for a vehicle/trailer combination. Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle."
For a Maverick they says 20 square feet w/o towing pkg. 40 square feet w/ towing pkg.
I would suggest following this even though they don't say it will void warranty because this might be "implied" in the words "significantly reduce".
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...rd_RVandTrailerTowingGuide_Fleet_r9_Jan13.pdf
If I were to tow something that I didn't consider aerodynamically suitably constructed, then I would use caution. Thanks.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing 1860 lb vintage camper 3804B68A-82B4-4C0B-ACA1-1E94B360FA01

Ford Maverick Hybrid towing 1860 lb vintage camper CDEC4A9D-BE85-457E-849D-3934520D63BA

Frontal area not as bad as most people think. This compact trailer is just over 6 feet wide, the factory mirrors were fine. The height sticking up above the cab, not too great and rounded.

Was able to test drive a friend's while I shop around for what to consider buying. I would keep it 60 MPH and under with something like this.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I read the Ford Towing Guide, I wonder if they mean "flat plate equivalent" when they say "frontal area?" Because towing a slab-sided, vertical front and back wall "box" would have a LOT more wind resistance than a teardrop-shaped camper, for instance. The airfoil shape has less than 1/4 the wind resistance of the "cube"... I think towing a large-ish teardrop camper behind a Maverick would be pretty sweet camping solution! (Of course, I already have a small motorhome that is capable of towing the Maverick Hybrid, so I'll be doing this "backward"... LOL)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When I read the Ford Towing Guide, I wonder if they mean "flat plate equivalent" when they say "frontal area?" Because towing a slab-sided, vertical front and back wall "box" would have a LOT more wind resistance than a teardrop-shaped camper, for instance. The airfoil shape has less than 1/4 the wind resistance of the "cube"... I think towing a large-ish teardrop camper behind a Maverick would be pretty sweet camping solution! (Of course, I already have a small motorhome that is capable of towing the Maverick Hybrid, so I'll be doing this "backward"... LOL)
Jim- may I call you Jim? (lol). 😄

Wish we lived closer. I think we are kindred souls. Would be fun to experiment with stuff like differences between trailers, modes, accessories, etc.
Sponsored