Sponsored

Towing a 1500lb camper trailer with hybrid?

Ferroplasm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are considering purchasing a Livin Lite Quicksilver XLP14 equipped with hydraulic surge brakes. Dry weight is 1500lb. How comfortable would you be towing with a hybrid?

Two adults + 2 kids + camping gear for weekends. I'd estimate people + cargo = ~600-700lbs.
Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Remember, the hybrid not only has a weight limitation, but also a frontal area of 20 sq ft as well. This pretty well limits it to tent trailers.

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been towing my Scamp 13ft with zero problem fulltime for a couple months now. Barely know its there (other than MPG dropping to about 25-26 mpg).

Ford Maverick Towing a 1500lb camper trailer with hybrid? E17E833D-04A4-4894-8ED8-995BBC600535

My trailer weighs about 1550 lbs when empty. But I usually have the water tank filled and a bunch of stuff in there. So probably closer to 1700 lbs.

i also cary 20 gallons of water and gas in the trunk. Plus a gfc camper on top.

I do not have extra passengers though. Just me.

It seems to have absolutely zero problems with my setup.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Remember, the hybrid not only has a weight limitation, but also a frontal area of 20 sq ft as well. This pretty well limits it to tent trailers.
The 20 SQ ft frontal area is the additional area of the trailer including tires axles etc that is NOT IN THE WIND SHADOW of the truck!!!

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 20 SQ ft frontal area is the additional area of the trailer including tires axles etc that is NOT IN THE WIND SHADOW of the truck!!!
According to this, it is the total combined frontal area of the truck and trailer.
Ford Maverick Towing a 1500lb camper trailer with hybrid? 1684156618715

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to this, it is the total combined frontal area of the truck and trailer.
1684156618715.png
It is confusing in the terminology Ford uses. Elsewhere this is cleared up but not extremely well, I admit. In the heading in the chart you have shown the heading "Trailer ,Frontal Area Limitations/Considerations" Is the max "Trailer Frontal Area" of the combination that is allowed. If the 20 foot was for the combination the word "Trailer" would not be in the heading, at least. Also, I do not have it in front of me but the truck alone exceeds 20sq feet. Also not generally mentioned is that the calculations are made for 65mph with no head wind. As always many things in pulling a trailer have to be considered. What would be the frontage area allowed at 40, 45, 50 mph? +More....

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is confusing in the terminology Ford uses. Elsewhere this is cleared up but not extremely well, I admit. In the heading in the chart you have shown the heading "Trailer ,Frontal Area Limitations/Considerations" Is the max "Trailer Frontal Area" of the combination that is allowed. If the 20 foot was for the combination the word "Trailer" would not be in the heading, at least. Also, I do not have it in front of me but the truck alone exceeds 20sq feet. Also not generally mentioned is that the calculations are made for 65mph with no head wind. As always many things in pulling a trailer have to be considered. What would be the frontage area allowed at 40, 45, 50 mph? +More....
I have not seen any official Fords specs on the Mav frontal area. The numbers previously posted on this board were calculated just based on the overall height and width and not the true frontal area.

I agree Ford's wording is not clear, but I think the best interpretation is combined truck/trailer area.

But I think the most important sentence is the last one "Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your tow vehicle."

I think Ford would have a hard time voiding your warranty if you go over the 20 sq. ft., but don't expect full performance with a trailer.

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We are considering purchasing a Livin Lite Quicksilver XLP14 equipped with hydraulic surge brakes. Dry weight is 1500lb. How comfortable would you be towing with a hybrid?

Two adults + 2 kids + camping gear for weekends. I'd estimate people + cargo = ~600-700lbs.
100% comfortable.

The ratings are low, not actually what the rig can tow.

Keep it at 60 mph or under and you will be 100% ok.

Been there, done it.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I read OP correctly, at most he should be at 2,200 pounds. I feel confident that 200 pounds would be within limitations. If other poster is having no problems for two months, i would feel safe doing it. Obviously, speed would need to be adjusted accordingly and steep grades would present a problem. I am sure Mav would enjoy camping.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As others have said, as wind and weight goes up PERFORMANCE goes down. Understand this, and don't flog your truck to death.

I don't care how late you are, don't pull a tailer at 75 or more MPH!

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I would do as much as I could to lighten the stuff you put into the trailer, and I wouldn't fill the tanks until the last possible moment. Lots of experienced RVers recommend taking EVERYTHING out of the rig at least once a year, and then analyze each item before you put it back in the rig. Did we use this, ever? No - leave it behind. Exceptions for safety items like first aid kits, but it's amazing how much stuff creeps its way into the RV, tucked into a corner somewhere because "We might need it sometime," or "That would come in handy if..." Another possibility is to move some of it into the Maverick bed (assuming you've got both room and remaining payload to do so). We have a large, heavy cooler that we carry drinks in. When we had a trailer, that cooler rode in the truck bed, under the soft topper, rather than in the trailer. Moved a good 80 lbs from the trailer weight to the truck's payload.

If after doing all that, you're still a little over the 2000 lb limit, I'd probably just go for it... As GPSman says, Ford's recommendation probably has some leeway in it, and that final rating (notice how it's a nice, round number?) is almost certainly rounded down a bit. If the rating was something like 2013 lbs, I would take it far more seriously!

Other than that, I would just slow down a little - maybe even take some back roads instead of the interstate highways to see more sights! Keep all your tires properly inflated (truck and trailer), and keep in mind that most trailer tires are speed rated for 65 mph tops...

Last thing it check the date codes on the trailer tires, and if they are more than 5-6 years old, replace them regardless of tread depth. UV damage can be severe on older trailer tires - to the point where sidewalks are fractured inside the tire where you can't even see it... I couldn't believe how bad the tires looked inside when we replaced the ones on our old rig right after we got it.

Ken L

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The trailer is a 'pop-up', travel height of 54" and width of 82", approximate frontal area of about 30 sq ft. so it is over the recommended frontal area. The dry weight of 1500lbs will probably stay withing the 2000lb trailer limit.

For weekend trips within 100 miles, I would definitely go for it. If you are planning longer trip, it might be ok, or it may become a challenging drive.

We had a 2000 Windstar mini van with a tow rating of 3500lb and had a full height 19' travel trailer that weighed 3000-3500 lbs. The combination towed, handled and braked very well on local trips, BUT, on the highway it struggled to maintain highway speed, 60 mph. The one (and only) long trip was a nightmare. Toronto ON to Disney World FL, about 1200 miles, average fuel mileage of 4 mpg, the 25 gal gas tank only had a range of 175-200 miles and that was struggling to maintain 60 mph.

Ken

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tires: good advice:

It's hard to "throw away / recycle" trailer tires with tread still on them, but yes, sun, UV, ozone, and more deteriorate tire just sitting there.

They have a 6 year safe life, even if they have 100 miles on them. All tires.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would do as much as I could to lighten the stuff you put into the trailer, and I wouldn't fill the tanks until the last possible moment. Lots of experienced RVers recommend taking EVERYTHING out of the rig at least once a year, and then analyze each item before you put it back in the rig. Did we use this, ever? No - leave it behind. Exceptions for safety items like first aid kits, but it's amazing how much stuff creeps its way into the RV, tucked into a corner somewhere because "We might need it sometime," or "That would come in handy if..." Another possibility is to move some of it into the Maverick bed (assuming you've got both room and remaining payload to do so). We have a large, heavy cooler that we carry drinks in. When we had a trailer, that cooler rode in the truck bed, under the soft topper, rather than in the trailer. Moved a good 80 lbs from the trailer weight to the truck's payload.

If after doing all that, you're still a little over the 2000 lb limit, I'd probably just go for it... As GPSman says, Ford's recommendation probably has some leeway in it, and that final rating (notice how it's a nice, round number?) is almost certainly rounded down a bit. If the rating was something like 2013 lbs, I would take it far more seriously!

Other than that, I would just slow down a little - maybe even take some back roads instead of the interstate highways to see more sights! Keep all your tires properly inflated (truck and trailer), and keep in mind that most trailer tires are speed rated for 65 mph tops...

Last thing it check the date codes on the trailer tires, and if they are more than 5-6 years old, replace them regardless of tread depth. UV damage can be severe on older trailer tires - to the point where sidewalks are fractured inside the tire where you can't even see it... I couldn't believe how bad the tires looked inside when we replaced the ones on our old rig right after we got it.
I would bet that the main driving factor in fords 2,000 lb limit for the 4prong no brake trailer is the max trailer weight in the state which allows the least weight trailer without brakes.
Sponsored