Sponsored

Hybrid brake mode?

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
I currently drive a plug in Prius and use the shifter brake mode a lot. Anyone know if the Maverick hybrid has that feature?
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Shifter brake? Not sure I follow.

The Hybrid will use regenerative braking and compression braking (ICE engine, no fuel used) to slow the vehicle and then it will use the 4 wheel disc brakes when force required to slow the vehicle exceeds regen/compression

TacoHolder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mav
It's a selection on the shifter to increase the aggressiveness of the regenerative braking. Sometimes it's a button. This mode creates a noticeable drag on the car when you let off the accelerator, similar to what happens in a manual transmission.

OP
OP
Beaglesarebest
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat

The Hybrid will use regenerative braking and compression braking (ICE engine, no fuel used) to slow the vehicle and then it will use the 4 wheel disc brakes when force required to slow the vehicle exceeds regen/compression
this is the shifter in my Prius. If I’m going downhill or come to a light I can slow the car down by using the B mode instead of the brakes. Saves the brakes (I have 114,000 miles on the car and still have 70% left on the original brakes) and improves the regen.

Ford Maverick Hybrid brake mode? FA0590C7-2417-4AC1-8482-4564145FD802

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I currently drive a plug in Prius and use the shifter brake mode a lot. Anyone know if the Maverick hybrid has that feature?
I think there's the Low (L) mode in the middle of the rotary dial for this downhill braking situation.

Manual page 184-ish
LOW (L) This mode is for driving on steep slopes. The transmission will hold low gear for maximum torque driving uphill and maximum engine braking driving downhill. You can enter this mode at any vehicle speed.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...s-manual-version-1_om_en-us_07_2021-pdf.2847/

Ford Maverick Hybrid brake mode? 1637180585671

Obviously "low gear" doesn't mean quite the same for the hybrid but according to Ford Escape hybrid commentary I've read, it increases the regenerative braking resistance and ICE+generator motor can coordinate to do engine braking I think.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On mine it very aggressively engine brakes and runs the ICE at higher gear ratio so it's revving up in a manner that's quite distracting; definitely not the "one-pedal driving" mode of other manufacturers. Unless Ford has modified the behavior on newer model hybrids.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2020 Escape Hybrid AWD. There is no “brake mode” and I have not come across anything to suggest anything similar in the Maverick to a brake mode. I want to say that is Prius’ way of increasing the regen. braking… which is not adjustable in these hybrids to my knowledge. However, our escape’s regen braking was just perfect. Not too much like a Tesla and not too light where you have to use brake a lot. One pedal driving is possible if you’re a conservative driver.

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think there's the Low (L) mode in the middle of the rotary dial for this downhill braking situation.

Manual page 184-ish
LOW (L) This mode is for driving on steep slopes. The transmission will hold low gear for maximum torque driving uphill and maximum engine braking driving downhill. You can enter this mode at any vehicle speed.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...s-manual-version-1_om_en-us_07_2021-pdf.2847/

1637180585671.png

Obviously "low gear" doesn't mean quite the same for the hybrid but according to Ford Escape hybrid commentary I've read, it increases the regenerative braking resistance and ICE+generator motor can coordinate to do engine braking I think.
The regen braking in our 2020 AWD Escape Hybrid is similar to hill descent control on a regular EcoBoost. Except it’s automatic. There is a green icon on dash illuminating when it sense you’re on a downgrade angle.
I never used the L mode, kinda pointless in my opinion I’m the hybrid but might be more useful going uphill.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The regen braking in our 2020 AWD Escape Hybrid is similar to hill descent control on a regular EcoBoost. Except it’s automatic. There is a green icon on dash illuminating when it sense you’re on a downgrade angle.
I never used the L mode, kinda pointless in my opinion I’m the hybrid but might be more useful going uphill.
I think it matters more if you’re hauling down very long declines, but that’s just what i have read from others, i don’t have personal experience.

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

this is the shifter in my Prius. If I’m going downhill or come to a light I can slow the car down by using the B mode instead of the brakes. Saves the brakes (I have 114,000 miles on the car and still have 70% left on the original brakes) and improves the regen.

FA0590C7-2417-4AC1-8482-4564145FD802.jpeg
B mode (engine braking) is kind of a waste. It doesn't recharge the battery as fast as using the full regenerative braking system that comes from using the peddle for one thing. At leas that's the case in older model Toyota Hybrids, not sure about modern ones. Unless you are going down a steep grade for long periods of time, as in after the battery is fully recharged, there is almost no point in doing that, just throwing away energy that could be going back into the battery. In return all you get is needless engine noise. I got to 121,000 miles (actually 196,000 km, since I'm not in the US) on the original rear brakes of my Camry Hybrid, not sure if the fronts are original, don't remember. If they are they've lasted 150k miles so far. I suspect they would have lasted longer if I didn't get cut off so much, people never look before pulling out into traffic, or so it seems.

Last edited:

MDRN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat First Edition Hybrid Rapid Red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

On my Kia this is a setting in the preferences for how aggressive it will regen.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I also own a Prius and use this mode.

The "B" creates something called "engine braking," which mimics the behavior of a traditional transmission: It fakes a downshift to slow the Prius if it's descending a hill. Why? To keep the brakes from being overloaded if you're on a long, steep grade.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Hybrid Maverick has no "Brake Mode" selector but the drive modes are somewhat equivalent in that the "ECO mode" vs "Normal mode" has a lot more aggressive regeneration.

I have noticed this in action on my Maverick Hybrid when in ECO driving mode. Taking your foot off the accelerator produces about twice the regeneration power and does slow down faster. When in ECO mode I have found that I can obtain 100% energy returned reports on every stop.

Davidc83

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius

I have a Prius C, with 112,000 miles with 80 percent brakes left and never use the B and I have a 12% grade into my valley I drive everyday. The B doest really regenerate the battery and not much if it does....coasting and applying brakes generate much more electricity than the B setting. Shifting to B doesn't change the transaxle, it informs the electrical system to change torque in the motor as in low torque...
Sponsored