Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am not picking nits. I have been driving this engine set (Atkinson) set up since 2007 with a Toyota Camry that has north of 370k miles… the electric motor is an assist. It works well improving mpg but it does not have an electric mode. See attached video
When the instrument cluster is displaying it's in electric mode the ICE is not operating at all and it is driving purely on electric. When the ICE is running the electric motor may be functioning as an assist.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Geno

Geno

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW Tiguan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Use th EV coach on the dash. You'll be able to see when you're not in ev mode and when it changes to ice assist.
Thanks. I did find that view and is helping know exactly when I am in ICE vs electric.

OP
OP
Geno

Geno

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW Tiguan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am not picking nits. I have been driving this engine set (Atkinson) set up since 2007 with a Toyota Camry that has north of 370k miles… the electric motor is an assist. It works well improving mpg but it does not have an electric mode. See attached video

2007 Camry Hybrid engine bay below

3476FA33-0B71-485B-91BC-9B430A71DBD7.jpeg
Thanks for tje quick lesson. I was ignorant of the term I used. I was using it at the face value based on the dash indicator. But the video certainly puts it in to a simple perspective this very new to Hybrids owner. I had to purchase a car prior to my Mav delivery in Feb bc I was hit and they totaled my original trade in. I got the Cmax hybrid and it seems to ride differently in n the sense of electric vs gas. So I was comparing apples and oranges.. it think anyway. Thanks again.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am not picking nits. I have been driving this engine set (Atkinson) set up since 2007 with a Toyota Camry that has north of 370k miles… the electric motor is an assist. It works well improving mpg but it does not have an electric mode.
Then you're misinformed. There are three types of hybrid electric vehicles.

Mild hybrids (mHEV) work as you describe - the electric motor can only ever assist the ICE, not run on its own. Ford offers these elsewhere in the world but not in the US.

Full hybrids (FHEV) can run purely on battery alone, up to and including propelling the vehicle down the road. The ICE is kept off unless needed. This is the majority of Ford hybrids in the US.

Plug-in hybrids (PHEV) are essentially FHEV with larger battery packs, sometimes more powerful motors and other gear, and crucially the ability to charge from wall power, to increase the electric-only range and capabilities of the vehicle.

At present, Maverick is FHEV only. Escape and Lincoln Corsair offer PHEV variants.

Additionally, a Toyota Camry powered by Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive is a FHEV. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Synergy_Drive

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As others have noted, the easiest way to engage electric mode is to accelerate 5-10 mph above preferred speed, let off pedal to force electric mode, then maintain speed. Personally, I'm able to stay in electric mode up to ~55 mph with this method.

Slowly accelerating at a crawl will probably work too but it's not something I prefer as I try to be respectful to other drivers behind me.

Sponsored

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am happy to say I am nearing my 2nd full week in my new Maverick Hybrid. I do love driving it. But I do want to know if anyone feel like the all electric mode is only working up to 35mph max coupled with no or minimal slope change and very low acceleration or it goes into hybrid gas assist mode? I am seeing this in the AM when not too hot, in Eco mode, and as I said babying the accelerator. Please share my fellow Hybrid Maverickians.
That's about tight for a hybrid. I owned a 2013 Prius and when in EV mode It could accelerate to 25 MPH. Anything more and it would disengage, and the engine would start.

OP
OP
Geno

Geno

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW Tiguan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This video explains it a bit differently. But covers a lot of what folks have described.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Pretty good video overall.
I would add the larger traction motor in addition to the smaller generator motor can generate power to recharge the battery. Also, not talked about, is the fact the gasoline engine cannot propel the vehicle in reverse. There is no "reverse gear". But any electric motor can spin either direction, thus the electric motor (only) moves the truck in reverse. But, the gasoline engine can run at the same time, turning the generator to make power all day long, thus you can drive in reverse all day long if you wish.

Consider though while backing a trailer, you have less HORSEPOWER in reverse. Since we will backing up at slow speeds, this is a non issue 99.9% of the time. This may be a limitation backing up a steep slope, with an overweight trailer. This fact may be the reason for the 2000 lb tow limit in the hybrid, so users don't have any surprises backing up.

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
But still... There isn't a knob, switch or dial that puts the truck in "Electric Mode." Our driving habits influence the computer, but the computer runs the show.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
I regularly drive mine from a standing start up to 55mph with the ICE off and only by electric. However you have to be a very patience guy to accomplish this. This is one way i get 700mpt. It will go into electric drive only at speeds up to 65mph. I regularly drive 55mph highway speeds and force it into e mode where i keep it there until battery charge runs out, then back to hybrid mode to recharge.

Most people wont drive this way, i am retired and dont drive in traffic much. So i can slow drive it around in electric mode.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Geno

Geno

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW Tiguan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I regularly drive mine from a standing start up to 55mph with the ICE off and only by electric. However you have to be a very patience guy to accomplish this. This is one way i get 700mpt. It will go into electric drive only at speeds up to 65mph. I regularly drive 55mph highway speeds and force it into e mode where i keep it there until battery charge runs out, then back to hybrid mode to recharge.

Most people wont drive this way, i am retired and dont drive in traffic much. So i can slow drive it around in electric mode.
I am learning to baby the throttle to do the same in keeping it in electric mode. I have been able to get up to 60 and stay in EMode but just for a portion of a mile. 700 mpt is impressive. I am on track to hit 500 on my first tank had it for 4 weeks tomorrow.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geno, i have learned that driving a hybrid is totally different then other ICEs. I have been fuel economy driving for 20yrs, since Katrina anyway. Each vehicle has different ways of being driven for optimum efficiency. It takes a while to relearn driving habits as i am still learning 10000m in.

Last vehicle i had F150 ECO 10speed, i could get 27mpg, up to 30mpg. I also have a pair of 1.9 VW diesels that will pull down 50+mpg.

Now i throw these numbers out, but most people cant/wont drive these to achieve max fuel economy. When fuel was $5 gallon it was really easy to change driving habits.

Stick with it, experiment, read on here, and use the instruments to aid you in your travels. Use regen/e mode as much as possible. I live in hill country, every hill/stop i recover as much energy as possible. As soon as hybrid mode has charged battery, force e mode, of course do it safety and be aware of traffic around you. I pull over all the time and avoid traffic. I travel back roads and lightly traveled roads, i am in no hurry to speed over the limit.

Hope this helps.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found after several months of driving the Hybrid that I don't really even think about it anymore. I personally do use Eco Mode because the method of getting up to speed and then costing or holding your speed seems to be more consistent in Eco mode, plus regen braking when taking your foot off the peddles tends to keep the battery charged up better. There is no actual button electric mode, but this thing does run just on electric power depending on how you drive it. Every now and I again I'll put her in sport mode and I always find it a bit fun.

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With your driving habits you can force it into different modes and hold them thereby satisfying their prarmeters.

I have yet to try sport mode yet at 10000m. Wow.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Consider though while backing a trailer, you have less HORSEPOWER in reverse. Since we will backing up at slow speeds, this is a non issue 99.9% of the time. This may be a limitation backing up a steep slope, with an overweight trailer. This fact may be the reason for the 2000 lb tow limit in the hybrid, so users don't have any surprises backing up.
This, and the lack of the larger rad/fan is why most hybrids have low tow ratings. For example, the 2014-2017 Toyota Highlander hybrid could only tow 3500 pounds, even though it had the same V6 engine, and more total HP than the non-Hybrid Highlander which could tow up to 5000 pounds (with tow package). I suspect Ford tried (given that the 4k package was going to be avalible for the hybrid when announced), but they likely found that in reverse the hybrid just couldn't handle the weight and would have issues.
Sponsored