First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may sound strange but I’ve never owned a hybrid. I’ve heard with most you can drive up to a certain mph in electric mode only but does it do the same in reverse? I’m just wondering if I can back in my garage and pull back out without the gas engine starting to avoid exhaust fumes.
Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No, not true. The electric-only option was available on some non-US Pruises (Priii?) but never in lawyer-heavy North America because of our stupidity.

hondabuster

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav hybrid ,tacoma
I have a Rav4 hybrid, and my understanding is ford at one time licenced the tech from toyota. What you are describing will work on my hybrid. For 2020, all vehicles capible of ev operation must have a noise maker when running silent. In summer in MN, i can run in battery mode for about 5 miles.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This may sound strange but I’ve never owned a hybrid. I’ve heard with most you can drive up to a certain mph in electric mode only but does it do the same in reverse? I’m just wondering if I can back in my garage and pull back out without the gas engine starting to avoid exhaust fumes.
My current hybrid and my old Ford Escape hybrid worked like under so many miles per hour it would be electric as long as it’s not in sport mode. Once the car warmed up/you start using regen brakes it kicks off the engine more often. When I first start it up though, it runs until that battery is ready (5 mins?) and then will kick off. All that to say, if just backing into a garage at the end of a trip, it would likely be all electric but once you start it up in the morning to leave the motor would run until the battery is charged/ready and it would then kick off. Both of mine worked in reverse.

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Rav4 hybrid, and my understanding is ford at one time licenced the tech from toyota. What you are describing will work on my hybrid. For 2020, all vehicles capible of ev operation must have a noise maker when running silent. In summer in MN, i can run in battery mode for about 5 miles.
Apparently Ford and Toyota each had patents the other needed access to, and so they struck a deal to avoid legal issues. More of a barter. Ford has over 100 patents related to hybrid systems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BigB

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks SL that’s a great explanation

Mavrcktrk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW TDI
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is no reverse gear in the maverick hybrid. The electric motor runs in reverse. Totally electric in reverse.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
... can drive up to a certain mph in electric mode only but does it do the same in reverse? I’m just wondering if I can back in my garage and pull back out without the gas engine starting to avoid exhaust fumes.
Yes, the traction motor is direct drive to the wheels (through about a 10+:1 gear train). Top speed forward is limited by motor redline. Reverse is limited to about 15 mph for reasons unknown to me. Given the ICE will usually be warm when you park, I see no reason it should be on.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you ever did that maneuver with a plain I.C.E. car, wouldn't there be a temporary smidge of fumes anyway? And is that not tolerable in the garage, health conditions allowing?

OP
OP
BigB

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you ever did that maneuver with a plain I.C.E. car, wouldn't there be a temporary smidge of fumes anyway? And is that not tolerable in the garage, health conditions allowing?
Yeah I was just curious.

FloodingdowninTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I was just curious.
It was interesting and I learned a little more from the discussion. My first hybrid too.
Sponsored