jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What people don't understand is: technically every new F-150, F-250, F-350 also has "electric only" miles when coasting. Just the computer does not keep track. Fuel is completely cut off, thus in those big trucks they are driving on battery only too, just no regen. And some have auto stop / idle stop too.
Not true. Seems you're the one who doesn't understand.

The ICE in a hybrid can be disconnected from the wheels via the eCVT. On electric drive only, only the electric motors are connected to the wheels. The high voltage battery can power both the drive motors for propulsion, and every single accessory in the vehicle, including the AC compressor, without using a drop of gas until the battery is depleted, or you ask for more power than the HVB can supply.

In a traditional/EB ICE with fuel shutoff capabilities, the ICE remains connected to the wheels at all times when not in neutral. All of the moving parts within the ICE are still moving, providing drag on the powertrain. Basically means that you're not simply coasting, nor are you getting regenerative braking. The engine does need to keep spinning, though, because all of the accessories in an ICE vehicle (e.g. climate, alternator) are powered by the rotation of the ICE.

The only time an ICE in a non-hybrid will stop while the vehicle is still running is when the vehicle is stopped and auto start/stop engages. In that mode, you're not in some electric only driving mode; only your 12V accessories are running. Meaning even your AC compressor, powered by the ICE, isn't working. All you get is the fans running to blow the last of the pre-chilled air out at you; then the ICE has to kick back on to maintain temperature.

An F-150 with auto start/stop and deceleration fuel shutoff is not comparable to driving a hybrid, such as a full hybrid electric vehicle (FHEV) F-150 PowerBoost, let alone a Maverick Hybrid.
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ICE in a hybrid can be disconnected from the wheels via the eCVT.
This isn't true in the case of the Maverick. There is no clutch that mechanically breaks the connection of the transmission input shaft to the output, but the planetary gearset allows it to simply not rotate.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This isn't true in the case of the Maverick. There is no clutch that mechanically breaks the connection of the transmission input shaft to the output, but the planetary gearset allows it to simply not rotate.
For all intents and purposes, that's the same thing. End result is that the ICE can be fully off, providing no resistance on the drivetrain (thus loss of energy), while driving on electric power alone, driving all accessories, even climate, etc. No non-PowerBoost F-150 can do that. Trying not to get too into the details. :)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Darnon is correct. Jsus not so much. I had the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 2005 to 2019. Literally took the thing apart and put it back together. Know it inside and out. Maverick, while I don't have one yet has to be remarkably similar.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am happy to say I am nearing my 2nd full week in my new Maverick Hybrid. I do love driving it. But I do want to know if anyone feel like the all electric mode is only working up to 35mph max coupled with no or minimal slope change and very low acceleration or it goes into hybrid gas assist mode? I am seeing this in the AM when not too hot, in Eco mode, and as I said babying the accelerator. Please share my fellow Hybrid Maverickians.
Use the EV coach on the dash - you can enter Electric Mode while cruising at any speed (level road) - I just take my foot off the accelerator if in Hybrid Mode - and then when i push back down the the accelerator I enter Electric Mode - and I keep it in the zone as long as possible.

By doing this I can achieve the following easily (see attached pic):

Ford Maverick Maverick Hybrid electric mode limited Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 3.59.58 PM

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I regularly drive mine from a standing start up to 55mph with the ICE off and only by electric. However you have to be a very patience guy to accomplish this. This is one way i get 700mpt. It will go into electric drive only at speeds up to 65mph. I regularly drive 55mph highway speeds and force it into e mode where i keep it there until battery charge runs out, then back to hybrid mode to recharge.

Most people wont drive this way, i am retired and dont drive in traffic much. So i can slow drive it around in electric mode.
" i am retired and dont drive in traffic much " Bragger LOL, I wish I was in your shoes.....

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Wax, you can be, just blow out your back @55 age, with permanent partial paralysis/nerve damage. Make sure you have great insurance coverage cause you cant work or live the rest of your life.

On similar note, i would bring to light that hybrids RECOVER lost wasted energy and store it, to reuse another later time.

A conventional ICE vehicle doesnt recover energy, though the auto maker tries to minimize loses initially

Jsus, good explanations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geno

Geno

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 VW Tiguan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Geno, i have learned that driving a hybrid is totally different then other ICEs. I have been fuel economy driving for 20yrs, since Katrina anyway. Each vehicle has different ways of being driven for optimum efficiency. It takes a while to relearn driving habits as i am still learning 10000m in.

Last vehicle i had F150 ECO 10speed, i could get 27mpg, up to 30mpg. I also have a pair of 1.9 VW diesels that will pull down 50+mpg.

Now i throw these numbers out, but most people cant/wont drive these to achieve max fuel economy. When fuel was $5 gallon it was really easy to change driving habits.

Stick with it, experiment, read on here, and use the instruments to aid you in your travels. Use regen/e mode as much as possible. I live in hill country, every hill/stop i recover as much energy as possible. As soon as hybrid mode has charged battery, force e mode, of course do it safety and be aware of traffic around you. I pull over all the time and avoid traffic. I travel back roads and lightly traveled roads, i am in no hurry to speed over the limit.

Hope this helps.
Yes it helps. I was in a VW Tiguan turbo which took high octane before the Mav and I had a very heavy foot. Unfortunately it was totaled and I had to get a replacement as my Mav was not ready. I got a Ford C-Max hybrid and I immediately found a new interest in saving gas. The brake coach has been an improvement to my marriage as my wife would always say I break too late. Driving the C-Max seemed a bit easier to squeak out more miles than the Mav. But 512 Miles ony first tank was impressive for a truck no dought. Thanks for your input!

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Geno, its great to see other side of lead footing it, my wife wont let me drive fast, so its match made in heaven.

I still have 2 VWs Jetta diesels that are great cars(210000m, and 130000m), we took a trip to Key West from Austin Texas and got 53mpg the whole trip.

It takes a little while and understanding to master fuel economy, i have to be careful of traffic as they want to regurlarly do speed limit +20mph.

Use the available tools to guide, the fuel economy charts, the braking coach and the vehicle drive modes are ones i constantly monitor.

One of the keys is braking, i look way ahead for lights, signs, traffic, and blend in, i go as fast as i need to keep up with traffic flow. But i dont drive as others, race up to guy in front of me, ride his bumper 2ft away, then jump on brakes.
Mine vehicle operation is smooth, not too much braking, not too much acceleration. I try not to change vehicle speed, steady speed.

Hope this helps, enjoy your Mav, as i will mine.

Avnett

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is no “electric mode” for the Maverick hybrid. you can drive/cruise on the battery at different points, but their is no “electric mode”.
For the record, let's get a few things straight. HUUNVUBU, you're correct.. don't get too worked up by Dbarr's comment. He's driving an ancient Toyota which does not have an "All Electric" mode. Not sure what he thought posting two videos and a picture of an old Toyota ICE engine, was meant to prove about a Maverick Hybrid (other than his complete lack of understanding). Most Toyota people live in their own bubble. Just give them a wide berth on the sidewalk, and on the road.

When you see the "Electric" indication in blue color, on the dash, The ICE engine is off.. zero rpm.. zero tailpipe emissions. The truck is running electric only. For more proof, note that every time you shut down, the dash displays how many miles you traveled in Hybrid mode, and how many miles in Electric Only mode.

One more correction for a post by: MCC63303 above. The Mav Hybrid does not use a CVT transmission. It uses an E-CVT. Completely different. The E-CVT is electronic and has one main "PLANETARY-GEAR" that is "CONTROLLED" by two electronic/module's. These module's tell it what "RATIO" to be in when it is going up a hill and/or when it is passing, or just flat out flying. The "RATIO" is determined by two electronic modules. The system has no"BELTS" or "Chains". There are no moving parts in it other than the "PLANETARY GEAR". The system is vastly more reliable than a CVT.
There is no “electric mode” for the Maverick hybrid. you can drive/cruise on the battery at different points, but their is no “electric mode”.
Sponsored