First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Picked up my Maverick Friday and drove to Tampa Saturday. Roughly a 400 mile trip.
I noticed with premium fuel I was getting 29 mpg 80/85 mph on 75 south. This is all by onboard computer. I haven't had time to do manual calculations.

Now in the Tampa area running 87. I'm averaging 27 mpg at the same speeds.

Maverick is a FWD EB.
Sponsored

dmoyes1950

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, FX4, 4K Tow Package
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anyone done a milage test with the tailgate down?
Mythbusters did an extensive review (not with the Maverick, obviously) of pickups with tailgate up and down and found their test subjects had less wind resistance and got slightly better mileage with the tailgate closed.

DrDoom

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HPR XLT and Cyber Orange XLT 2022 Ford Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks
The trip is 660 miles from Texas, to NM then CO. Usually takes me about 10:30 driving time. We usually drive the speed limit and/or up to 5 over. Which means quite a bit at 80-85. Slower going through part of Texas and have to slow down for every small town.
My 17 F150 ecoboost 3.5 gets 17.5 to 19 doing this trip depending upon the wind. The 2020 F350 beats it and usually gets 19-21 but I try to save that truck just for towing and now diesel is $1 more than unleaded.

I hope that with the Maverick I can beat both of my trucks. I may have to consider the hybrid FWD is mileage is my concern.

Thanks again
I just did a trip from Tampa to St, Louis and back with my XLT Hybrid and averaged 36 mpg doing 75+ miles per hour.
Ford Maverick Fuel economy at 80-85 mph PXL_20220211_213431112

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have had my Maverick for about 6 weeks, clocked 3600 miles, and I am in Texas. I live in Houston, have made a trips to Austin, Brownsville, Pharr, and San Antonio (several times). You get much better mileage just below 80. When I set my cruise to 83 (in a 75) it calculates 28 when I set it to 78 I've gotten 32. Of course there are variables. Especially in hot weather with 87 octane you will be 2-3 mpg less than calculated by the computer. With 93 you will be 2-3 mpgs better. Personally I maintain below 80 and run 89 or 93 octane (depending on my Kroger points). I personally feel this is the sweet spot for these trucks. But I am just a guy with an opinion like everyone else. Different strokes for different folks
Sorry I forgot the important part. I'm in a XLT with the 4k tow package

Last edited:

Efab

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FWD 2.0 EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From vegas to long beach to pick up a friend then to san diego. 80 75% of the drive. Hand calculated 31.5. 2wd ecoboost. Currently at 33.3 at rosarito mexico and ill report back on the drive back to vegas “same route” with the mpg First road trip and loving it
Ford Maverick Fuel economy at 80-85 mph FBB7B4BB-101E-402D-9C24-BBBFCE2B29FA

Sponsored

Efab

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT FWD 2.0 EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Forgot to mention i run 91 octane.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're driving a square truck - the aerodynamic drag of a brick is probably somewhat better. The parasitic air drag losses go up as the square of the speed, along with several other smaller (but still very meaningful) losses. All you're doing is unnecessarily stressing the drivetrain and prematurely wearing out your tires. Going anything over 60 is just plain stupid in any truck. And realistically, what do you save in time? 3 minutes?
Plug the numbers in yourself, using https://www.automobile-catalog.com/...er_crew_awd_2_0-liter_ecoboost.html#gsc.tab=0 as the reference. The engine load can be easily calculated at https://www.bgsoflex.com/aero.html
I believe that it costs 39hp to cruise at 60mph, but 88hp to do so at 80mph on level ground at normal mid-day humidity and temperature. So, right off the top, and assuming that the engine efficiency is constant at all speeds (it is not constant on a high-compression turbo), you're going to use 2.25x as much fuel at 80mph. Realistically with the performance characteristics of this engine, its going to be more like 4x as much fuel to go 80.
You must be a multi-millionaire if you want to go that fast.

Last edited:

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're driving a square truck - the aerodynamic drag of a brick is probably somewhat better. The parasitic air drag losses go up as the square of the speed, along with several other smaller (but still very meaningful) losses. All you're doing is unnecessarily stressing the drivetrain and prematurely wearing out your tires. Going anything over 60 is just plain stupid in any truck. And realistically, what do you save in time? 3 minutes?
Plug the numbers in yourself, using https://www.automobile-catalog.com/...er_crew_awd_2_0-liter_ecoboost.html#gsc.tab=0 as the reference. The engine load can be easily calculated at https://www.bgsoflex.com/aero.html
I believe that it costs 39hp to cruise at 60mph, but 88hp to do so at 80mph on level ground at normal mid-day humidity and temperature. So, right off the top, and assuming that the engine efficiency is constant at all speeds (it is not constant on a high-compression turbo), you're going to use 2.25x as much fuel at 80mph. Realistically with the performance characteristics of this engine, its going to be more like 4x as much fuel to go 80.
You must be a multi-millionaire if you want to go that fast.
So you think no one should ever drive a truck on the interstate.

Because doing 60 on the interstate in most of the US will do nothing but cause an accident.

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And realistically, what do you save in time? 3 minutes?
Going 80 mph vs 60 mph on any trip over 30 minutes would save you well more than 3 minutes. It's cool if you want to drive slow, just stay to the right. Time is money!
Sponsored