Sponsored

Fuel economy at 80-85 mph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When we go to our vacation home 650 miles away we drive at 80-85. That gets us there quite a bit quicker than running at 70mph.
So if you have done any driving at those speeds, what is your mpg?
Also list your engine and if the 2.0 AWD or not.
Sponsored

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
In my AWD Lariat, I've found that the MPG really starts to drop off beyond 70 mph.

@ 70 mph I can see high 20s (26-28 mpg)
@ 80 mph lower 20s (21-23 mpg)
@ 85 mph I couldn't break 20 mpg (18-19 mpg)

If I were making that long of a drive I'd likely run 80-85 mph to make good time and not be too concerned about the MPG. When I'm on vacation, I want to be on vacation, not driving ;)

Safe travels,
Dave

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When we go to our vacation home 650 miles away we drive at 80-85. That gets us there quite a bit quicker than running at 70mph.
So if you have done any driving at those speeds, what is your mpg?
Also list your engine and if the 2.0 AWD or not.
There are so many variables in that question from altitude changes, temperature, type of fuel, tire pressure, wind conditions. To get a close figure you will have to try it with your vehicle over that route.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are so many variables in that question from altitude changes, temperature, type of fuel, tire pressure, wind conditions. To get a close figure you will have to try it with your vehicle over that route.
Common sense stuff everybody knows. Not looking for that. Looking for real world reports of folks that drive that speed and what they get

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Just a fun math based on your 650 mile trip and my observed MPG.

650 miles @ 70 mph - 9.3 hours - say 26 mpg - 25 gal @ $4 = $100
650 miles @ 85 mph - 7.6 hours - say 18 mpg - 36 gal @ $4 = $144

I went with the lower end as my computer usually reads a little optimistically anyways. So for ~$40 you could shave 1.7 hours off.. I know it's not that simple but there's probably a nice middle ground somewhere in there to save a little time and not a lot of extra expense. Your results will vary of course.

Dave

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In my AWD Lariat, I've found that the MPG really starts to drop off beyond 70 mph.

If I were making that long of a drive I'd likely run 80-85 mph to make good time and not be too concerned about the MPG. When I'm on vacation, I want to be on vacation, not driving ;)

Safe travels,
Dave
This sounds about right. Wind will play a huge factor, particularly above 70mph. We drove from Minneapolis to Toronto in November. The wind didn't play nice almost the entire trip. I was typically around 73-75mph and saw mid-twenties. Pushing 80 was down in the low 20s.

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD 18" rims Cactus Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This sounds about right. Wind will play a huge factor, particularly above 70mph. We drove from Minneapolis to Toronto in November. The wind didn't play nice almost the entire trip. I was typically around 73-75mph and saw mid-twenties. Pushing 80 was down in the low 20s.
anytime you get into boost, the mpg starts to nose dive. wind resistance at speed. That and the speed limiter are why we can't go 160!

Ricstar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just did a trip to big spring and back, 250 mile round trip at 80-85. in my hybrid I got 28 mpg.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Why's that? My Maverick certainly feels solid at those speeds, just don't watch mpg of course.

Suppose you've never been to Texas where the OP is from either. 60-70mph over there and they about run you off the road. 80-85 mph is nothing there, that's just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I would be more concerned with making myself an obstruction to others who are buzzing along at those speeds or higher.
Dave

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Safe travels,
Dave
Thanks
The trip is 660 miles from Texas, to NM then CO. Usually takes me about 10:30 driving time. We usually drive the speed limit and/or up to 5 over. Which means quite a bit at 80-85. Slower going through part of Texas and have to slow down for every small town.
My 17 F150 ecoboost 3.5 gets 17.5 to 19 doing this trip depending upon the wind. The 2020 F350 beats it and usually gets 19-21 but I try to save that truck just for towing and now diesel is $1 more than unleaded.

I hope that with the Maverick I can beat both of my trucks. I may have to consider the hybrid FWD is mileage is my concern.

Thanks again

Sponsored

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just a fun math based on your 650 mile trip and my observed MPG.

650 miles @ 70 mph - 9.3 hours - say 26 mpg - 25 gal @ $4 = $100
650 miles @ 85 mph - 7.6 hours - say 18 mpg - 36 gal @ $4 = $144

I went with the lower end as my computer usually reads a little optimistically anyways. So for ~$40 you could shave 1.7 hours off.. I know it's not that simple but there's probably a nice middle ground somewhere in there to save a little time and not a lot of extra expense. Your results will vary of course.

Dave
Scenario #1: one fuel stop
Scenario #2: two fuel stops

Add 20 +/- minutes for the extra fuel stop in scenario #2

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wind drag is a huge factor

Actually if you want to see the best results is to tail a big box trailer. If you can stay in the pocket right behind the trailer your MPG will increase dramatically. Use the existing drag free area available on the highway. The trick is to have the patients to stay there.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why's that? My Maverick certainly feels solid at those speeds, just don't watch mpg of course.

Suppose you've never been to Texas where the OP is from either. 60-70mph over there and they about run you off the road. 80-85 mph is nothing there, that's just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I would be more concerned with making myself an obstruction to others who are buzzing along at those speeds or higher.
Dave
The Texas higher speed limits definitely make for fast moving traffic - I've only been/driven there once and it reminded me of driving in Toronto growing up - teetering on the side of wreckless!

I also rented a car when we travelled to Germany several years ago. The level of driver awareness that was observed was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than I typically see with most drivers in the US. Trucks - right lane only; slow traffic - always on the right, left lane for passing. Fast cars in the left lane, but always being observant of use. I took our Ford Fiesta up to 100mph a few times (that was all it could muster...a smaller engine than the US models). It was a lot of fun, but I had to keep my eye on the rearview mirror as much as in front of me!

In my daily driving here in MN, I just assume people are going to do dumb things in their cars - never fails to prove itself true. The amount of times people stop when entering traffic circles here astounds me - we have a lot of them at this point, and they've been around with increasing frequency for a decade!
Sponsored