First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I have been meaning to post this for more than a month now, but better late than never. Over the Thanksgiving holiday and the following week I had the opportunity to finally do some towing with my Maverick. I left Houston early in the morning with the following setup.

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221124_044952

I had AC equipment for a very good friend, about 1100 miles away in Shelby, NC. (had already put down some miles when I took this pic)

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221124_050351

I had A LOT of tools in the bed under the cover. I would guess 7-800 pounds and the trailer with the equipment should have been right about 2750#. This set up pulled AWESOME!!! My Maverick pulled great you knew it was there but it didn't struggle the least. 65-70 mph 17mpgs. 😁. I stopped in Atlanta and had dinner with my sister, as soon as I left then the bad thing happened

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221124_213504

I hit an airdam or spoiler bouncing across the interstate. If I had had a jack and spare I could have been back on the road in 30 minutes or so... but instead I waited 2.5 hours then get back on the road. When I emptied the trailer and dropped it off I had averaged 18 MPGs, not too shabby if I do say so myself. Now it was time for the second setup.

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221128_115038

98 Accord packed full of stuff. My guess with the curb weight of the Accord, the ridiculous weight of the Uhaul dolly, and 6-700# of stuff, and... I was probably 2-300 pounds over my 4k but the only other option was to pull it with my father in laws 30 year old chevy with over 300k on it. I 100% think this was the best option, and if I was struggling we could swap and let his old rig struggle. This leg of the trip was from Hickory, NC to Clarksburg, WV. So I knew I would have some steep grades to pull. The one that I was worried about was 7 mile hill on I-77 when you first get into Virginia. I pulled many, many trailers up this hill as a teenager and the trucks ALWAYS struggled some. I was throughly impressed by the Maverick. It found a gear that it liked and stuck with it. The entire 7 miles up at 5-6% grade I maintained 70 with ease. I had several other steep grades after that but nothing had me in any doubt about the trucks ability. Also, with this set up I got 19MPGs I would guess because I wasn't pulling a sail behind the truck. During my time in WV I also got the opportunity to do some light off roading. I didn't want to push it and end up breaking something or getting stuck too bad that far away from home and traveling solo. The Maverick far exceeded my expectations off road, even with the half worn out sorry continentals. The found grip and kept going until they couldn't, but it was very steep 25-30 degrees with wet leaves on the ground. For the final leg and trailer of the trip. I went back to Shelby, NC and picked up an old 1979 Starcraft 210 travel trailer.

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221202_130220

My friend said if I could pull it home I could have it with a title 😳... I mean I do have a motto, "If it's free, it's for me" but when I first looked at it I was worried when I saw the double axles. I know as a rule of thumb if there are 2 axles you are probably close to a 5k gross weight. So, I did the right thing and Googled it and the only thing I could find was on NADA guides and it said their that the GVWR was 3750. I thought that was very unlikely, sounded more like a dry weight, but with it being partially demoed inside that it would be ni more than 4k. So I went to the local tire shop and had the 4 new 15 years ago tires replaced, repacked the bearings. And got on the road to Birmingham where I had a friends couch to crash on. At this point I decided to pull the trailer as is, as many say you should with the Maverick being unibody (more on that later).

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221203_123044

Once I got on the road the Maverick pulled the travel trailer great, the biggest complaint I had was when passing or being passed bt 18 wheelers it was definitely noticeable and tiring after a while. But I got to Birmingham and also noticed something I already knew bit was more prominent with a bigger trailer, where you get fuel makes a huge difference. With gas from Sams Club, Chevron, or Exxon. I would see 15-17 MPGs per tank, but with gas from a truck stop pr a lower graed gas station I would see 10-12 MPGs (I always run premium fuel) and with this set up maintained 65 mph. I never saw the trailer sway light on the dash a single time but a few hours into the second day pulling the travel trailer I had had it and stopped at a HoboFreight and installed a WDH in the parking lot.

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221203_132709

Now, just wait, before some of you lose your mind, here is my reasoning and you will not change my opinion of this setup with my Maverick. You do what you feel is appropriate with yours. The owners manual doesn't say to use one... it also dosen't say not to use one. Doing many days of research, the basics of my decision came to this. Ford requires WDHs on at least 3 of their unibody vehicles; Edge, Flex, and Explorer to get the maximum tow rating. Also remember full size vans are all unibody and everyone (pretty much) slaps one on those without hesitation. Also, with the overall feel pulling the WDH made a night and day difference. It pulled SOOO much nicer I barely noticed when passing or being passed and having 10+ hours on the road that day I was not as exhausted when I got back home

Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 20221203_235302

That is the highlights of the Mavericks performance on this trip. Also, I did get on a scale with and again without the trailer to get actual weights, for future plans. I will get pictures and post these later.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting. Very entertaining and informative.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@MavDave , is that a 2" drop ballmount used with the U-Hauls, they seem to be pretty level.

I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of various inserts, just wondering which one(s) to clean up.

HRG

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review. Did you install WDH using instructions provided with hitch, or another method? I bought a WDH for towing my single axle toybox and the setup instructions sucked so much I gave up after a few hours and used standard drop hitch on my F-150 and it towed fine. Decided I'm going to have a professional install/setup for towing our larger 2 axle box trailer behind our Class C motorhome that had problems with lift on the front wheels that needed to be addressed with WDH instead of straight ball hitch we had been using.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MavDave

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@MavDave , is that a 2" drop ballmount used with the U-Hauls, they seem to be pretty level.

I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of various inserts, just wondering which one(s) to clean up.

HRG
Yes, I used a 2" drop I just happened to have. I was surprised how leavel it ended up.

OP
OP
MavDave

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review. Did you install WDH using instructions provided with hitch, or another method? I bought a WDH for towing my single axle toybox and the setup instructions sucked so much I gave up after a few hours and used standard drop hitch on my F-150 and it towed fine. Decided I'm going to have a professional install/setup for towing our larger 2 axle box trailer behind our Class C motorhome that had problems with lift on the front wheels that needed to be addressed with WDH instead of straight ball hitch we had been using.
I followed the instructions as much as I could with the limited knowledge I had if the trailer. I didn't know the toung weight so basically I eye balled it and it seemed close enough. After getting on the scales I could have definitely done some adjusting and lowered the toung weight a little more but it towed good enough for a good guess.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write-up, you covered a lot of ground.....actually and figuratively!

Getting ready to limit tow my Mav for the first time soon, will be right at 4K, possibly a touch over, really excited to see how it performs. You give me good hope! :)

OP
OP
MavDave

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice write-up, you covered a lot of ground.....actually and figuratively!

Getting ready to limit tow my Mav for the first time soon, will be right at 4K, possibly a touch over, really excited to see how it performs. You give me good hope! :)
I don't advise overloading your truck but this is absolutely the best towing vehicle I've ever owned. If you are over the manufacturers recommendations you hold the responsibility so tread lightly. If you have experience on your side it shouldn't be a problem. 👍

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't advise overloading your truck but this is absolutely the best towing vehicle I've ever owned. If you are over the manufacturers recommendations you hold the responsibility so tread lightly. If you have experience on your side it shouldn't be a problem. 👍
I plan to scale the whole rig to see....if it is over, it won't be much, likely less than 200#'s. It's a tandem flat bed, so no aero issues to deal with. Previously pulled with my 2.7 F150, could barely feel it on that truck. I know the Mav will have to work a lot harder for sure! I only tow a hand full of times a year, so certainly not my main priority.

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've stated it elsewhere and will state it here, I wouldn't go past the tow hitch's rated capacity whether the truck can handle it or not. The 4K tow has a Class III hitch which is rated for 5000 lbs.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree, you won't find anything that can do light to mid duty hauling that gets at least 15 MPG when fully loaded up and can be driven with one hand on the wheel and can get up to a highway posted speed limit without any issues.

With that said you still have to be conscientious of the trailer and it does take longer to accelerate to speed but the fact of the matter is it can be done.

nandesho

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Hybrid Lariat BAP, '24 Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I enjoyed your towing stories! Although I do kind of wonder how the crash bar style towing works on the Maverick. But didn’t they used to genuinely bumper tow everything back in the day?
Anyhow, I use weight distribution and aggressive mechanical sway control without issue all the time on my unibody minivan…er SUV.
Ford Maverick Maverick w/ 4K Tow Package towed 3 different trailers in 9 days over 3500 miles 95E89400-7654-49B7-B372-AA9DF4BD9B5D

OP
OP
MavDave

MavDave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I enjoyed your towing stories! Although I do kind of wonder how the crash bar style towing works on the Maverick. But didn’t they used to genuinely bumper tow everything back in the day?
Anyhow, I use weight distribution and aggressive mechanical sway control without issue all the time on my unibody minivan…er SUV.
95E89400-7654-49B7-B372-AA9DF4BD9B5D.jpeg
As stated above Ford requires a WDH on the Explorer for the maximum tow rating. That was part of my reasoning. I would assume Ford would use similar architecture across their unibody platforms.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How was the visibility with the outside mirrors? I have a pontoon boat that is pretty wide. Also how do these wdh hitches work? I googled it but did not understand how they can affect the trailer tounge weight.
Sponsored