Sponsored

First Oil Change Mileage and Oil Type (Blend or Synthetic)?

Hambone

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im sure this has been discussed. But at what milage did you do your first oil change, and did you go with blend or full synthetic? (HYBRID)
Im going tomorrow, dealer recommend 3000miles and using a blend.
Sponsored

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow, your dealer is trying to create business isn’t he..The hybrid will go about 10K between oil changes and the manual Calls for full synthetic..Why would you just follow that?

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure about hybrid but my EcoBeast will be 1500 miles. Mobil One. Motorcraft 910-S Filter. Still got 400 miles to go. After that first change, every 3K miles or one year whichever comes first.

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dealer is blowing smoke. PassApp shows oil life. Mine has been almost exactly 10k miles.

Sponsored

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m in the 1000, 3000 and then every 4000 after. Mobile 1. I had my 22 2.0 FX4 for 18 months and now I have an all black 2024 2.0 AWD LUX/BAP 4K XLT. Just changed the oil Saturday (DIY).

Justin says...

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just completed my first oil change at 1,242 miles. Since the dealer owed me a free oil change from screwing it up on my previous vehicle, I had them use full synthetic. I wanted the first one done at 1k miles, but life got busy as it does.

From here on out, I plan to do it myself (and my dad's Mav) using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the extended-size filter made by Wix at 5k mile intervals.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Im sure this has been discussed. But at what milage did you do your first oil change, and did you go with blend or full synthetic? (HYBRID)
Full synthetic meeting the Ford spec is the only oil you're supposed to use in a hybrid. The dyno blend is only ok in the EB, with shortened change intervals. Find another dealer who actually reads the spec.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Find another dealer because yours is an idiot. If you'll RTFM, it will tell you your hybrid needs full synthetic 0w20.

As for oil change interval in your hybrid; probably do it after the first few thousand miles. After that, use the Oil Life Monitor built into your truck. It takes a lot of things into consideration besides miles. Example: The total miles shown on your odometer are significantly more than the number of miles on your Hybrid's gasoline engine, because it doesn't run a lot of the time. Your Hybrid will need much less frequent oil changes than a comparable Ecoboost non-hybrid Maverick.

Modesto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had the first one done yesterday at around 5,000 miles and the tires rotated as well. The tech came to the house to do the two recall updates, and took care of the oil and tires.

Sponsored

jaybird

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat , 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
Undecided
I Would go 5k If you wait for 10k you are asking for sticking rings and a oil burner at 100,000 miles! I'm a 25 year ASE Master Tech, 15 year Ford Instructor.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, lots of discussion about this. 24 hybrid = first change 1500 miles in my garage using Mobil 1 hybrid specific full syn and a Motorcraft 910S oil filter purchased at Walmart.

Hybrid specific oil has extra additives to reduce acids that form in the 2.5L Atkinson cycle engines because in the city stop and go driving where the hybrid shines, the engine may not get up to operating temp long enough to burn off the moisture that causes acid to build up.

My dealer uses a "blend" [ blend cheaper than full syn] and had no clue as to whether it was hybrid specific [probably not]. Plus, I am certain they don't wait for the old oil to completely drain.

That said, changing oil even at the dealer is better than not changing it at all.

I use "Redneck ramps" - I drive up on two crossed 2x6's under each front wheel to give me the clearance I need to access the shield, drain plug and filter.

I put my used oil back in the now empty jug from the new oil and take it to the local auto parts store that recycles used motor oil, a toxic substance.

Last edited:

Vettereddie

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Based on RTFM (page 453), Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor determines the change interval based on driving habits, no fixed interval.

Page 454 gives guidelines on expected interval based on usage but does not distinguish between EcoBoost and Hybrid. I would assume hybrid interval is greater due to lower engine use while in electric mode.
- Normal: 7,500 - 12,500 mi (Normal commuting with highway driving; No, or moderate, load or towing; Flat to moderately hilly roads; No extended idling)
- Severe: 5,000 - 7,500 mi (Moderate to heavy load or towing; Mountainous or off-road conditions; Extended idling; Extended hot or cold operation)
- Extreme: 3,000 - 5,000 mi (Maximum load or towing; Extreme hot or cold operation; Extended engine idling)

Do not exceed 1 year or 12,500 miles between service intervals.

Manual recommends for the hybrid 0W-20 Full Synthetic oil ONLY, no blend, meeting the WSS-M2C962-A1 specification.

Personal preference, I did my first change on my 2023 XLT Hybrid at 6 months / 7,500 miles with about 36% remaining oil life. Used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-20 full synthetic and a Mobil 1 M1-102A filter.

Mobil 1 0W-20 Full Synthetic, Super Synthetic, High Mileage, Extended Performance, Extended Performance High Mileage, Advanced Fuel Economy, Hybrid, and Truck & SUV all state they meet or exceed the requirements of WSS-M2C962-A1 with differing mileage guarantees.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Manual says which oil should be used.
I had recall and issue so asked for first oil change at dealer with 6200 miles. They put a sticker on windshield that next would be 5k miles later.

CHECK THE FORDPASS app, it probably has the oil life%.

svogt302

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302, 2019 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally, I cut Ford's recommendations in half..... To each their own.
Sponsored