eCVT is amazing!

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
One thing I hate about cvt's is that it's possible to be accelerating yet the tone of the motor sounds like it's decelerating.
In a Maverick, that's the sound of your foot lifting.
If I put the vehicle in engine braking mode it sounds like it is revving up,
If so, you have descended a very long hill, filled the HVB, and moved to engine braking, Hill Assist's last resort for staying off the friction brakes driving down hill. Very loud, and only heard after descending a very long hill using Hill Assist.
hybrids can't really have manual transmissions,
The TRW approach uses fixed gear ratios, but many hybrids use conventional automatic transmissions. There's no reason a manual wouldn't work, but there's no upside given the motor has replaced the torque converter/clutch function, making a stir-it-yourself transmission a lot of unnecessary work.
Sponsored

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Do you mean that the engine revs don't exactly match up with the speed of the vehicle? If so, yes.

The only difference is that there is no shifting. The engine revs and holds the revs. A traditional automatic shifts, so RPMs fall and rise again.

The CVT is actually the better transmission for efficiency and speed, especially on lower powered vehicles.
To me it feels like driving an old GM vehicle with the 2 speed Power Glide transmission. You accelerate to the speed you want and let off, then the RPM's drop and all is calm and quiet. My hybrid vehicle when you are done accelerating and lift off the gas it sort of feels like that Power Glide.

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EDIT: I think that the twitchy issue off the line was simply having the "hold" feature enabled. Seems that it takes a moment for the automatic braking to release after pressing the gas, so it would kind of jump off the line. Disabling the hold feature made things nice and smooth!

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cruise control + audio books. 🤷‍♂️. I'm doubtful I'll even notice.

That said, I think I'm going to miss my stick shift. Worth it for a bed and 42mpg, though.
Might be a good time to buy a recording including your favorite race car driver chatting to his pit crew as he is trying to get out of third place!😳😳😳

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To me it feels like driving an old GM vehicle with the 2 speed Power Glide transmission. You accelerate to the speed you want and let off, then the RPM's drop and all is calm and quiet. My hybrid vehicle when you are done accelerating and lift off the gas it sort of feels like that Power Glide.
I learned to drive in a 1953 DeSoto fluid drive. It had two forward gears but each of those gears had an under drive gear so that if you were stopped and gearshift was in low it would automatically shift into low under then after it got up to six(?) Mph or more you could let off gas for a second and it would automatically shift into low and you could drive around town and never clutch. High gear also had an under drive and you could accelerate away from stop but it was painfully slow and at something like 18-20 mph you could let off gas and it would shift into high and you could go 65 or maybe more, do not remember. You could clutch and shift lever up or down at maybe 20-25 again do not remember exactly. Those were the days!

Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
EDIT: I think that the twitchy issue off the line was simply having the "hold" feature enabled. Seems that it takes a moment for the automatic braking to release after pressing the gas, so it would kind of jump off the line. Disabling the hold feature made things nice and smooth!
Ha! My latest two manuals, both 6-speeds have hill-hold. I can feel them disengage and never thought the process was as smooth as my manual clutchwork. :)

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If so, you have descended a very long hill, filled the HVB, and moved to engine braking, Hill Assist's last resort for staying off the friction brakes driving down hill. Very loud, and only heard after descending a very long hill using Hill Assist.
Yes, but it is not automatic on my vehicle, no idea how Ford does it. I sometimes move my Camry Hybrid in to "B" mode (B mode = Forced engine brake mode), then it does that. If I do not put my vehicle into B mode it will not engine brake, ever. When the battery reaches full charge it will turn on the gas motor and force me to use the hydraulic brakes, thus Toyota Hybrids have the "B" mode to avoid said scenario. The early hybrids like my 2008 were not as heavy handed when it came to regenerative braking, and it would only come on when you press the brake peddle lightly, so I mostly just coast on big hills, and shift into "B" mode when I need to slow down.

I get the impression that newer Hybrids like the Maverick don't work exactly the same way, and are going into regen mode as soon as you take your foot off the peddle. Guess I'll find out how different it is when I get a chance to drive one.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, but it is not automatic on my vehicle, no idea how Ford does it. I sometimes move my Camry Hybrid in to "B" mode (B mode = Forced engine brake mode), then it does that. If I do not put my vehicle into B mode it will not engine brake, ever. When the battery reaches full charge it will turn on the gas motor and force me to use the hydraulic brakes, thus Toyota Hybrids have the "B" mode to avoid said scenario. The early hybrids like my 2008 were not as heavy handed when it came to regenerative braking, and it would only come on when you press the brake peddle lightly, so I mostly just coast on big hills, and shift into "B" mode when I need to slow down.

I get the impression that newer Hybrids like the Maverick don't work exactly the same way, and are going into regen mode as soon as you take your foot off the peddle. Guess I'll find out how different it is when I get a chance to drive one.
The Maverick Hybrid depending on how much load is needed to maintain speed will if going slightly downhill switch from gas to electric and if you tap the brakes to slow down even more while in electric mode it can induce more regen braking since the electric motor is the only one working. Like a Prius "L" if you press the L button on the shifter you will definitely feel increased regen braking. Then you can use the gas peddle as king of an off and on - go and brake kind of switch. You will see this when you get your truck. I have both a Prius and Maverick so pretty much the same as how they work. Instrumentation is different so telling which is working is clearer on the Prius but you can have a dash display that tells you charging-electric-hybrid modes.

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Maverick Hybrid depending on how much load is needed to maintain speed will if going slightly downhill switch from gas to electric and if you tap the brakes to slow down even more it can induce engine braking since the electric motor is the only one working. Like a Prius "L" if you press the L button on the shifter you will definitely feel increased regen braking. Then you can use the gas peddle as king of an off and on - go and brake kind of switch. You will see this when you get your truck. I have both a Prius and Maverick so pretty much the same as how they work. Instrumentation is different so telling which is working is clearer on the Prius but you can have a dash display that tells you charging-electric-hybrid modes.
Even the Prius you have sounds different. There was no "L" in the 2007-2011 Camry Hybrid. Unless you opted for the Nav screen, this was the monitor for battery info. The Hybrid vehicles have come a long way since then. 😁

Ford Maverick eCVT is amazing! Camhybrid

Just to clarify, when off throttle on a downhill or not the system in these could shutdown the gas motor, and just let it spin freely, but at any speed over 40MPH it would not go into EV section of the gauge, it had to spin the ICE (no fuel used though) or the Sun gear in MG1 would spin too fast and get damaged. I think that's less of an issue for modern Hybrids, but not sure.

Last edited:

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even the Prius you have sounds different. There was no "L" in the 2007-2011 Camry Hybrid. Unless you opted for the Nav screen, this was the monitor for battery info. The Hybrid vehicles have come a long way since then. 😁

Camhybrid.jpeg

Just to clarify, when off throttle on a downhill or not the system in these could shutdown the gas motor, and just let it spin freely, but at any speed over 40MPH it would not go into EV section of the gauge, it had to spin the ICE (no fuel used though) or the Sun gear in MG1 would spin too fast and get damaged. I think that's less of an issue for modern Hybrids, but not sure.
My Prius is the latest version sold starting in 2016. I believe its transmission is very close in design to the Maverick. Since 2016 I have easily gone into EV mode going slightly downhill at highway speeds, I think I have been over 60+mph many times. I have heard (not sure if a fact) that Toyota and Ford put their heads together and designed the latest version then they parted company. In actual use, I feel the Toyota and Ford eCVT's work about the same when driving. Your Camry has a different generation CVT than my Prius for sure and that your gas engine is probably more powerful so the programming would be different.

Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IIRC, in the Volt, rather than engine braking (when the HVB was full from regen), the two electric motors worked against each other for braking. I think ...

Could the Mav do that as well?

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know when I got my Fusion Hybrid, it took a little while to get used to accelerating and the eCVT. I was used to using my ear to determine acceleration based on engine speed. So with the FFH, I would accelerate, and then instinctively push down harder until the car kicked up the engine speed to "overtake" speed. Meanwhile, the car was accelerating just fine, just at the same RPM.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How hard is deceleration when you lift your foot off the gas but do not use the brakes? Is there a fear of getting rear ended?
Sponsored