Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've only had my hybrid XL for a few days, but I think that the eCVT might be one of the best parts of this truck--and perhaps one of the most under-appreciated.

I’ve always driven a stick. I despise automatic transmissions and conventional CVTs. But this transmission is excellent. No hunting or rubber-banding, just smooth power. This isn't your father's CVT--it drives like an EV.

The electric and gas motors play nicely together as well. Transition between regen and braking is smooth and intuitive. Ford nailed it, which isn’t easy.

My only complaint, which I'm guessing will dissipate in time as I get accustomed to it, is that the accelerator is a little twitchy off the line. Some may like it because it feels powerful, but it seems a little abrupt to me. EDIT: I think that the twitchy issue was simply having the "hold" feature enabled. Seems that it takes a moment for the automatic braking to release after pressing the gas, so it would kind of jump off the line. Disabling the hold feature made things nice and smooth!
Sponsored

Last edited:

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've only had my hybrid XL for a few days, but I that the eCVT might be one of the best parts of this truck--and perhaps one of the most under-appreciated.

I’ve always driven a stick. I despise automatic transmissions and conventional CVTs. But this transmission is excellent. No hunting or rubber-banding, just smooth power. This isn't your father's CVT--it drives like an EV.

The electric and gas motors play nicely together as well. Transition between regen and braking is smooth and intuitive. Ford nailed it, which isn’t easy.

My only complaint, which I'm guessing will dissipate in time as I get accustomed to it, is that the accelerator is a little twitchy off the line. Some may like it because it feels powerful, but it seems a little abrupt to me.
Great to hear. Can't wait for mine to get here. I just watched a dealer on youtube driving a hybrid and he said alot of the same things about it.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you've driven a Toyota hybrid lately, it's about the same thing. I agree, they are seamless and I love it. Nothing at all like the Nissan experience that everyone always thinks of at the mere mention of the letters C V T

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One thing I hate about cvt's is that it's possible to be accelerating yet the tone of the motor sounds like it's decelerating. It's such a turn off I refuse to own one.

Does the mav ecvt do that?

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've only had my hybrid XL for a few days, but I that the eCVT might be one of the best parts of this truck--and perhaps one of the most under-appreciated.

My only complaint, which I'm guessing will dissipate in time as I get accustomed to it, is that the accelerator is a little twitchy off the line. Some may like it because it feels powerful, but it seems a little abrupt to me.
Good to hear! My ole lady builds them at the Van Dyke plant and can put them together and take them apart blindfolded!

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing I hate about cvt's is that it's possible to be accelerating yet the tone of the motor sounds like it's decelerating. It's such a turn off I refuse to own one.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean? Do you mean that the engine revs don't exactly match up with the speed of the vehicle? If so, yes.

The only difference is that there is no shifting. The engine revs and holds the revs. A traditional automatic shifts, so RPMs fall and rise again.

The CVT is actually the better transmission for efficiency and speed, especially on lower powered vehicles.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps there is hope! I have been a die-hard manual transmission driver for decades and was (am) concerned that I would not like the Maverick.
Looking forward to getting acquainted to this vehicle.
Thanks for the detailed first impression and perspective.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Never driven a standard CVT, just a Hybrid eCVT, so keep that in mind. I have not experienced that at all. If I put the vehicle in engine braking mode it sounds like it is revving up, maybe that is what the normal CVTs do all the time, just like old auto transmissions?

eCVT, always smooth with no shifting feel, no hesitation, just hit the accelerator and go.

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps there is hope! I have been a die-hard manual transmission driver for decades and was (am) concerned that I would not like the Maverick.
Looking forward to getting acquainted to this vehicle.
Thanks for the detailed first impression and perspective.
I swore for years that I'd never drive anything other than a stick. Until I bought an EV that doesn't have a transmission at all. I was REALLY nervous about buying a Maverick, but I didn't really have a choice, since it's nearly impossible to buy a truck/SUV with a manual transmission these days. And, of course, hybrids can't really have manual transmissions, and I wasn't going to buy a conventional engine. At any rate, all of my worry was for naught--the eCVT is very, very nice. I hope that you will be as happy as I am!

Sponsored

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love it in my Prius v.

Bmr4mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid 23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I bet it does since the engine can literally turn off while you are driving.

If you can't handle that you'll have to by an EV to get your great mileage.

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree, eCVT is nice, I’ve mainly been in Nissan products lately and their CVTs drone like no other and rubber band acceleration. No such issue in the Hybrid. My biggest complaint is the drone of 4 banger, most unrefined 4 banger I’ve heard in awhile, but small complaint really. Stock sound system is better than everyone said and drowned out the ICE fine. Will be looking at engine bay insulation/fire mat at some point

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Non-linear throttles are all too common trick to make a vehicle feel faster than it is. If a person pushes the throttle down a third of a way, most are happier if the vehicle accelerates faster and think on the test drive "this is plenty peppy" when in reality they are actually giving 50% of the power the vehicle can produce because of a non-linear throttle.

This is what "sport mode" actually does on a lot of cars that have an electronic throttle, which is pretty much all of them now. Its not making the engine more powerful, but it tricks you into thinking it is by making the throttle non-linear, along with other tricks that don't really do much like reducing power steering assistance, and holding the revs longer before upshifting.

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Never driven a standard CVT, just a Hybrid eCVT, so keep that in mind. I have not experienced that at all. If I put the vehicle in engine braking mode it sounds like it is revving up, maybe that is what the normal CVTs do all the time, just like old auto transmissions?

eCVT, always smooth with no shifting feel, no hesitation, just hit the accelerator and go.
That sounds like my Chevy Volt. I hit the accelerator and it goes. Smooth constant power delivery. The instant torque make the tires squeal when I lunch it too hard sometimes but a bunch of funny to drive when I'm in the mood. I guess that's the same with all planetary gear set transmissions?
Sponsored