First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corolla,1990 Silverado,1949 GMC,1949 Harley
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is definitely the same socket. I don't know if there will be an easy solution for the brake lights due to this. The non-hyperflash bulbs for turn signals in other cars cannot be ran continuously, they will overheat after 7 minutes of continuous usage. This works fine for cars with separate turn signals but obviously not for the Maverick. Halogen brake/turn might just have to be accepted unless a supplier makes a high quality, entire tail light unit replacement.
I am new to LED bulbs, this might be a noob question: so LEDs will overheat if on continuously for around 7 minutes, right? I doubt anybody would have their Maverick in reverse for seven or more minutes but if they did would that mean the bulb or the lens might be damaged because of the overheat? But I could see I might leave my bed light on for more than 7 minutes so does that mean LEDs would be bad for the white lights on either side of the top center brake light?
Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am new to LED bulbs, this might be a noob question: so LEDs will overheat if on continuously for around 7 minutes, right? I doubt anybody would have their Maverick in reverse for seven or more minutes but if they did would that mean the bulb or the lens might be damaged because of the overheat? But I could see I might leave my bed light on for more than 7 minutes so does that mean LEDs would be bad for the white lights on either side of the top center brake light?
I'm not sure where that poster is getting 7 minutes from. I've had led bulbs in every fixture in my house for years. Many of them run continuously for hours on end on a regular basis, and still work just fine.

Yes, the electronics in led bulbs are susceptible to damage from overheating, and some aren't rated for enclosed fixtures for this reason, but as long as you buy high quality bulbs that are properly engineered, you should be fine.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Just my opinion (which is worth nothing :) )
but I think the LED bulbs are too bright, kind of overwhelm
the brake lights? Don't get me wrong, I normally prefer LED
over incandescent bulbs. I replaced my rear brake/turn signal
bulbs on my 67 Shelby with LED bulbs and it is such a great improvement.
Maybe have to see this in person
but thanks for the video, well done.

67 Shelby LED lights 1_20_18 010.JPG
Polish out those reflectors and it''ll be even better!
Nice ole school ride...i used to dream of these as a HS kid in the late 80's...they were rad!

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not sure where that poster is getting 7 minutes from. I've had led bulbs in every fixture in my house for years. Many of them run continuously for hours on end on a regular basis, and still work just fine.

Yes, the electronics in led bulbs are susceptible to damage from overheating, and some aren't rated for enclosed fixtures for this reason, but as long as you buy high quality bulbs that are properly engineered, you should be fine.
Any CANBUS-friendly LED that has a built in resistor - rather than a spliced in one - will overheat in about 7 minutes. I get this directly from the manufacturer of the CANBUS LEDs I've used in turn signals in many cars for many years.

Reverse bulbs don't need resistors because they're not going to hyper flash or cause error codes. My talk of the 7 minute thing was in regard to trying to find an LED that would work as both a tail/brake and a turn signal - as the Maverick uses the same bulb for all three, which is a complication. You could wire in a resistor, I suppose, but I'm not willing to splice wiring on a new car. But you're going to have to have a bulb that will both not hyper flash and not overheat. Maybe that exists and I don't know about it since I've not had a car use the same bulb for tail/brake/turn before.

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any CANBUS-friendly LED that has a built in resistor - rather than a spliced in one - will overheat in about 7 minutes. I get this directly from the manufacturer of the CANBUS LEDs I've used in turn signals in many cars for many years.

Reverse bulbs don't need resistors because they're not going to hyper flash or cause error codes. My talk of the 7 minute thing was in regard to trying to find an LED that would work as both a tail/brake and a turn signal - as the Maverick uses the same bulb for all three, which is a complication. You could wire in a resistor, I suppose, but I'm not willing to splice wiring on a new car. But you're going to have to have a bulb that will both not hyper flash and not overheat. Maybe that exists and I don't know about it since I've not had a car use the same bulb for tail/brake/turn before.
Ah gotcha, that makes a lot of sense.

Sponsored

KathyG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like it bright!

optikinescant

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat AWD FX4, Kia Niro EV
These Sylvania 912's from box store worked on the cargo lamps:

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg
Did this swap Saturday morning. It's such a nice and easy upgrade. Provides a literal night-and-day performance difference for these cargo lights, and yeah less than $30 and you're set.

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger