First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have the B&O and it sounds pretty good. Honestly I had audio frog speakers in my 4runner with jl audio amp and subwoofer and it didn't sound much different. Well it sounded completely different than the truly horrible stock 4runner system, but the maverick has a better sound by a lot then that. I listen to sirius, and streaming music so the source is not great and the better the speaker the more they reveal, so a poor source, is only going to sound worse. I would suggest if you change your speakers, to put full range speakers where the tweeters go if they can fit(have not looked into size or upgrade options for them). Something like audio frog gs25. Highs will still be clear but because they play more frequencies they will raise the sound stage up. Also help mid bass play less higher frequencies. Probably just a small sub would be a huge difference with the standard system. Put some bass blockers on the stock speakers, let the sub play the bass and it would clean things up alot.
That is the largets problem with car audio. Because of the materials used in cars because of the huge temperature variation, car audio is pretty bland unless you customize it for your own tastes. I owned a car audio shop when it was first becoming an audiophile product and put some pretty phat systems in some exotic cars but it was always in need of tuning to the specific person. I spent many hours hand assembling active and passive crossover units and it really became an issue. Now there are so many companies that build a wide variety of systems and components you can pretty much tailor a system to your favorite audio profile. And of course, after so many years of loud audio my hearing is pretty bad so just a good set of full range speakers, doors get bass, 9below 1000 hz) filtered and a small subwoofer that runs 1000hz and down, makes it sound pretty good to me. Hell, I don't even run an amp anymore because I just listen to the news on my way home from work, or some audiobooks and my favorite rock and roll when I am on long trips.
Check in with your local audio shops or big box stores for help deciding what to buy then Crutchfield or Amazon for the parts. But if you are working with your truck, make sure you are careful and don't use too much force or you will be living with rattles and ugly panels for as long as you have the truck. And for heaven's sake, leave the factory wiring harness alone. Make or buy an adapter for power and if you need to run an amp add the wiring, don't cut the factory harness. I have had to rebuild way too many hack jobs of the factory wiring harness and a very small number were done in anything close to a professional manner.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How are the stock speakers? Nobody has really commented that I've seen.
The are pretty weak. The magnets in them aren't very strong so they distort early. I have replaced mine with some heavier magnet speakers, pretty generic model I got from Best Buy, and they sound better but because they have a heavier, more powerful magnet, they take a bit more power to drive them, but they do sound much better in midrange and bass, primarily because the cone excursion is about 30% longer

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The are pretty weak. The magnets in them aren't very strong so they distort early. I have replaced mine with some heavier magnet speakers, pretty generic model I got from Best Buy, and they sound better but because they have a heavier, more powerful magnet, they take a bit more power to drive them, but they do sound much better in midrange and bass, primarily because the cone excursion is about 30% longer
What brand/model of speakers did you get?

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What brand/model of speakers did you get?
I will have to look and see if I can find the box. They were cheap speakers though just had a larger magnet. I think they were Celeston but I really don't remember. I looked around and they were the same price as the generic ones on Crutchfield, think those were hertz or megahertz or some other chinesium speaker. They have a ceramic magnet

Sponsored

moxie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Maverick Lux/FX4/4K Tow, Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What bracket, if any, did you buy to mount the speakers in the door?

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What bracket, if any, did you buy to mount the speakers in the door?
Metra has a mount/spacer that is a basic universal Ford mount 82-5605 and speaker wire adapter 72-5602. I added the basket covers/baffle, to keep the water off the back of the speaker when the window is open also, which cuts down on some of the midrange but sacrifice I am willing to make after having to replace door speakers from being water damaged from rain running down the open window. And before you think that a poly cone will work as well, remember, water in a voice coil will damage the speaker just as much as water on paper cones. A basket cover or at least a rain shield will do wonders in prolonging the life of a door speaker. If you buy from Crutchfield, at least the speakers, and use Bronco Sport as the vehicle, the front speakers and head unit are the same and they will give you the speaker mounts and wiring free. No one will commit to what fits in the Maverick but since it uses many of the same body and interior parts, they are close enough for the stereo.
Sponsored

Last edited: