clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to follow up in case anyone else is a big dummy like me.

I connected yellow as acc and red as hot instead of the reverse which is correct. Maybe too much home wiring lately and seeing red as hot and load vs yellow made me go the other route.

with red as ACC and yellow as hot it joe functions just as it should in every way.

moral of the story - double check colors. Don’t assume. And don’t be a dummy like me.
My first instinct was right! 🙌 Glad you got it fixed! Sorry I got squirreled and forgot to respond to your last message.
Sponsored

JustDoIt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon, '17 JKU Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All good - I did have to come back and clarify the result since I *HATE* when there's online problems and then no conclusion. Or a simple "nevermind it works now" with no explanation.

Thanks for your time to suggest ideas and I'm so happy with it now.

Hopperdropper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off, thank you for the detailed walk through. I followed your process and configuration exactly (products as well) but something is off and I am not getting power to the camera. When I test with the multimeter I can verify power is traveling through the fuses to to the wire crimps, it seems that the power disconnect is somewhere later in the connection. Are you aware of any tests I could do to verify if the issue is with my HK3 hardware kit itself?

Things I've checked:

Ground is secure and connected to metal frame

Yellow acc wire in the hk3 kit is attached to the micro 3 fuse tap in slots 1/2

Red battery wire is attached to the micro 2 fuse tap in slot 24

Original fuses are added to the fuse taps along with 5 Amp fuses for the dash cam (each tap has 2 fuses)

Continuity tests show that the fuses are working (tested in isolation not connected to fuse panel)and that power is coming at least to the far end of the crimped connections when they are connected to the fuse panel

The dash cam works fine when plugged into USB

I'm stumped and my next move is to replace the harwire kit, but open to any suggestions!

Hopperdropper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A more direct question, I keep reading about a red led light on the hardwire kit when it is receiving power. I don't see where this light would be, can anyone with a successfull install let me know if there is a power indicator light on the kit itself?

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off, thank you for the detailed walk through. I followed your process and configuration exactly (products as well) but something is off and I am not getting power to the camera. When I test with the multimeter I can verify power is traveling through the fuses to to the wire crimps, it seems that the power disconnect is somewhere later in the connection. Are you aware of any tests I could do to verify if the issue is with my HK3 hardware kit itself?

Things I've checked:

Ground is secure and connected to metal frame

Yellow acc wire in the hk3 kit is attached to the micro 3 fuse tap in slots 1/2

Red battery wire is attached to the micro 2 fuse tap in slot 24

Original fuses are added to the fuse taps along with 5 Amp fuses for the dash cam (each tap has 2 fuses)

Continuity tests show that the fuses are working (tested in isolation not connected to fuse panel)and that power is coming at least to the far end of the crimped connections when they are connected to the fuse panel

The dash cam works fine when plugged into USB

I'm stumped and my next move is to replace the harwire kit, but open to any suggestions!
You covered all the questions I was going to ask you, so I’m almost at the same conclusion you are about the possibility of the hardwire kit being bad. I wonder if you could test for voltage at the mini-USB connector end somehow? Did you adjust the voltage-cutoff selection to the lowest possible voltage? That shouldnt matter if the truck is on though, the voltage is at like 14.5 then. Maybe the hardwire kit wiring is backwards somehow. If you plug into USB to change the camera settings to enable parking mode then switch back and see if it has power during parking mode with engine off?

EDIT: @Hopperdropper just checked mine, can confirm red light.
Ford Maverick DIY How-To Video: Hardwire Front and Rear Dashcam 98453FF8-77BE-4C9B-9A37-898834E2BF05

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hopperdropper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You covered all the questions I was going to ask you, so I’m almost at the same conclusion you are about the possibility of the hardwire kit being bad. I wonder if you could test for voltage at the mini-USB connector end somehow? Did you adjust the voltage-cutoff selection to the lowest possible voltage? That shouldnt matter if the truck is on though, the voltage is at like 14.5 then. Maybe the hardwire kit wiring is backwards somehow. If you plug into USB to change the camera settings to enable parking mode then switch back and see if it has power during parking mode with engine off?

EDIT: @Hopperdropper just checked mine, can confirm red light.
98453FF8-77BE-4C9B-9A37-898834E2BF05.jpeg
Thanks for getting back to me.

I plugged into USB and enabled parking mode but no luck with that power either when the truck is off. I also did a firmware upgrade on the camera last night but that didn't help.

I have had the voltage cutoff on the lowest setting but tried others too just in case.

I haven't figured out a way to test voltage on the mini USB so that is a potential next step.

Thank you for the red light confirmation, I don't get that in any state which leads me to assume I have an issue with the kit. I may try and test other fuses with the extra micro 2 taps I have but I may just order another hardware kit for 15 dollars and try with that.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for getting back to me.

I plugged into USB and enabled parking mode but no luck with that power either when the truck is off. I also did a firmware upgrade on the camera last night but that didn't help.

I have had the voltage cutoff on the lowest setting but tried others too just in case.

I haven't figured out a way to test voltage on the mini USB so that is a potential next step.

Thank you for the red light confirmation, I don't get that in any state which leads me to assume I have an issue with the kit. I may try and test other fuses with the extra micro 2 taps I have but I may just order another hardware kit for 15 dollars and try with that.
Yeah I would just go ahead and order a new kit, everything else seems to be in order.

Heyspike

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.johnryan.us
Vehicle(s)
C5 - Fairway Green, SIlverado
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The same $350 front/ rearview camera that is on the Ford site is available on Amazon for $169. The only difference is it comes with a hard wire kit instead of the OBD plug in. of course, you could but that for a couple bucks more if you want. This is the way I may go after I do a Ceramic Tint on all the windows.

Amazon.com: Thinkware F200 PRO Full HD 1080P WiFi Dash Cam (Front & Rear Cam, 32GB, Hardwiring) : Electronics

Oh, And a big thanks for the video.
Where are you guys mounting the rear camera?

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where are you guys mounting the rear camera?
I installed mine here (screenshot from the video). It works just fine. Do you have any questions about that?

Ford Maverick DIY How-To Video: Hardwire Front and Rear Dashcam 1682339102843

Here's a sample video of what that angle looks like:

* Front
* Rear

Rusty Nutts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ram 2500, 2017 Indian Roadmaster, 2019 Ural
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Placed mine drivers side towards the top corner. The camera has enough angle that it covers everything rear with plenty of side view.

Sponsored

kevinthewild

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Vantrue Dashcam Hardwire Kit — Assistance Please

Hoping someone can provide insight specifically for the fuse taps prodvided by Vantrue (Labeled D in this diagram). I’m trying to install Vantrue’s hardwire kit. I’m fairly familiar with electrical work, but not sure which fuse taps to use. I plan on tapping into the unused Fuse 1/2 for ACC (yellow wire) and unused Fuse 24 (red wire), but the fuse type currently in Fuse 1 is a micro 3. Vantrue’s provided taps do not include a micro 3. Thanks in advance!

Ford Maverick DIY How-To Video: Hardwire Front and Rear Dashcam IMG_0175

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Vantrue Dashcam Hardwire Kit — Assistance Please

Hoping someone can provide insight specifically for the fuse taps prodvided by Vantrue (Labeled D in this diagram). I’m trying to install Vantrue’s hardwire kit. I’m fairly familiar with electrical work, but not sure which fuse taps to use. I plan on tapping into the unused Fuse 1/2 for ACC (yellow wire) and unused Fuse 24 (red wire), but the fuse type currently in Fuse 1 is a micro 3. Vantrue’s provided taps do not include a micro 3. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0175.jpeg
In the (D) section it looks like the top one out of the four shown is a micro2 fuse tap, so if you are looking for an alternate accessory power (ignition only) fuse to tap, a lot of people use fuse #3 or fuse #6 which are micro2 format. If I'm not mistaken, Fuse #3 looks like it's easier to fit for a fuse tap. Does the Vantrue kit come with more than one of each fuse tap?

Ford Maverick DIY How-To Video: Hardwire Front and Rear Dashcam 1691528578941

Last edited:

kevinthewild

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In the (D) section it looks like the top one out of the four shown is a micro2 fuse tap, so if you are looking for an alternate accessory power (ignition only) fuse to tap, a lot of people use fuse #3 or fuse #6 which are micro2 format. If I'm not mistaken, Fuse #3 looks like it's easier to fit for a fuse tap. Does the Vantrue kit come with more than one of each fuse tap?

1691528578941.png
Thank you for this! I’ll look into this solution. Yes, thankfully Vantrue provides two of each of the four taps in that diagram.

kevinthewild

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Focus SES
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

1691528578941.png
Okay follow-up: I just tried Fuse 3 for ACC (listed in the owners manual as auto-dimming rearview mirror, but I don’t have one). Fuse 6 is for the moonroof, which I do have, so I went with Fuse 3. Upon ignition I got error messages for pre-collision assist and for one of the cameras. I’m stumped haha

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay follow-up: I just tried Fuse 3 for ACC (listed in the owners manual as auto-dimming rearview mirror, but I don’t have one). Fuse 6 is for the moonroof, which I do have, so I went with Fuse 3. Upon ignition I got error messages for pre-collision assist and for one of the cameras. I’m stumped haha
Hmm.. Might be a silly question but did you put both the original fuse into the tap in the appropriate slot, along with a (5 amp?) fuse that came with the kit? Checked both fuses to make sure they aren’t busted?
Sponsored