Sponsored

Dial shifter POLL

Do you prefer the Maverick dial shifter, or a standard/traditional automatic shifter?

• Total voters

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it's completely asinine me too option that is for the birds .
Sponsored

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not in love with the dial shifter, but it could just be a muscle memory thing.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't really like how the dial shifter keeps on spinning even when it's reached the spot I want. Aside from that, only took a week to get accustomed to the silly thing.

NoNameActor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I've delt with the dial in my wife's escape. I personally don't like it, but the stick is more about a false sense of control from driving a stick shift for years. I plan on building a faux shifter for the cup holder.. mainly a place to rest my hand.

cormiermc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
before the maverick i was driving a ram 1500 si i'm used to the dial shifter since a long time. but the one thing i can't get used to is the location of the shifter. i think the center console is way to low for this kind of shifter. imagine if you need to put it quick in neutral for any reason and you have to search for the knob ti shift

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The dial has a lot of advantages. A big factor why Ford chose the dial is to create more space inside the cab both physically and visually. Since there's no mechanical transmission on the hybrid, a shifter would have no function. Finally, less to go wrong with the dial ... all electronic.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't mind column shifters, which we don't see all that often anymore. But I have always hated the automatic transmission shifters that stick up out of the center console. They either look out of place, forced styling, or get in the way with my drinks or air controls. I first had a rotary shifter on my Fusion 3 years ago, and my only gripe about the maverick's rotary shifter is that there is not much in the way of positive feedback when you turn it. Not even a Hard stop after Drive or Park.

All of that said, I have never 'Owned' nor 'daily driven' an auto with a center shift stick. I've had 2 center shift manuals, a column shift manual, a column shift auto, and then the rotary on my fusion and maverick. My favorites have to be the 5 or 6 speed center shift manuals and if ford had offered a manual on the 2.0eb I probably would have that instead of the hybrid.
I think Ford goofed by not having that hard stop after Drive and Park. That's my only gripe about the dial.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I voted "No Preference"; not really a huge deal for me either way, although the dial shifter does conserve space on the console. Really surprised that all three options are virtually equal in votes.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've driven cars with push-button shift (early 60's Plymouth Valiant), automatics and manuals on the column, automatics and manuals on the floor, and now the dial shifter. I'm getting used to the dial, and am OK with it, but I do prefer the traditional. Who knows, in time I may come to prefer the dial. I mean, I do like that it automatically throws it into park when you shut it off (and, if I recall, if you open the door while stopped).
Aaarrrggghhh!!! Thank you!!!! Been waiting barely breathing but now panting!!!! I absolutely love the knob! Have not had a Ford since v-6 pinto ( $650.00 extended warranty replaced tranny twice = so crowded under hood couldn't keep tranny cool) so dial shifter was NEW VIRGIN EXPERIENCE! Now I want a double decker one the top one just like the current one in the hybrid maybe smaller diameter than the second one under it. The second one would have the drive mode selection reg, econ, slippery, etc (maybe 6-8-? Choices) which could be left in place for next trip until you wanted to change it! Oooweee how about a triple decker knob for tweaking over 60-65 mph drive modes? Of course all this would require a dash display of all modes selected be lit up probably in 3 circles with I suppose the fabulous "L" button in the center. Also would like a digital tach on dash showing actual rpm of ice! 🥰

Cward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
I think Ford goofed by not having that hard stop after Drive and Park. That's my only gripe about the dial.
I would assume it’s like that due to the auto park.
If you open the door while stopped, it shifts to park.
If you shut off the vehicle it shifts to park.
If it had a hard stop, the dial would be out if sync with the gears.

Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm totally fine with it, takes up less space.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the phrase "failure to adapt" had its own thread, this would be it.

KCHahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently drive a 2001 Ford Range Edge 2WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't mind it. Have 1 of each in my family currently!
Dial on Maverick, column on Ranger Staandard style on folks Kia.
I just gotta make sure I don't put myself in Park, as I'm trying to
back into garage, or after backing out of a parking spot. Or reaching
down for the dial, while driving, to adjust the radio volume!! :rolleyes:

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree that it is space efficient, but it would be nice if it were operable by touch only (some way to index position by feel), and why not move it to the dash to be completely out of the way?
Sponsored