First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick is due to be delivered to the dealership in about 10 days. However, today I learned that there are items that will be "added" by the dealer that they claim I cannot decline.

Lifetime Tint/Door Guards $995
Appearance Protection - 3 year $695
Windshield Protection $695

This was a big surprise to me and it's adding $2,385 to the purchase price of the vehicle that I didn't ask for. Is this a "normal" and/or common practice?
Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depends on the dealer. They did that on my wife's used Rogue we just bought. But I got in writing from the dealer I ordered my Maverick from they wouldn't do that. Salesman was honest, said he would try like heck to sell it but I wasn't obligated to buy. I have a signed OTD price from the dealer. Not much you can do about it if they stick to their guns on it.

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is common/normal practice at a lot of dealers. That doesn't make it right nor does it make it a good deal. After the fact there is little you can do about it other than refuse the truck and try and get one somewhere else.

These dealer "ad ons" are of varying value but just about always overpriced. VIN etching is the one that really gets me. It is supposed to help recover a stolen vehicle. However, it really provides no value to the customer. If my vehicle gets stolen and is in a condition where the VIN etching is required to ID it, I don't want it back. I have insurance, I don't need VIN etching. Many of the other things dealers sell are of similar "value."

Your dealer's windshield protection, whatever that is, costs as much as a new windshield. If you have to get a new windshield it won't have the additional "protection," so this saves you absolutely nothing. Sure, depending on what it is it might save a windshield, but you have already paid for the replacement windshield by buying it.

I know you have probably waited a long time for this truck. That makes walking away hard. However, I see no additional value for your almost $2400 price increase. If it were me, I'd walk away if I was unsuccessful in getting them not to install the items (or at least not charge me for them). Only you can decide what is best for you. These practices are sleezy and will only get worse so long as the buying public puts up with them.

nytro97

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would tell them to pound salt...

HolyCarp

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Cactus Gray XLT Eco AWD FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My Maverick is due to be delivered to the dealership in about 10 days. However, today I learned that there are items that will be "added" by the dealer that they claim I cannot decline.

This was a big surprise to me and it's adding $2,385 to the purchase price of the vehicle that I didn't ask for. Is this a "normal" and/or common practice?
Which dealer was that? In September, I spoke with AutoNation - Arlington and was told that they do add a $1000 protection package on every vehicle. I went to AutoNation-Ft Worth and was told that they did not add any dealer packages.

Sponsored

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thats a scam

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That is scummy story we have heard way too often here. But there are straight up dealers out there and I’ld like to think there are more of them than ones like this.

Mine was one of the good ones.

Sorry your having to deal with it.

OP
OP

Robby_B

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get them to adjust the tint and door guards down to $699 (which I realize is quite a bit more expensive than what these things are actually worth). They removed the other two "protection" packages. All in all, I'm pleased with that compared with other things I've read on here.

We're also pursuing Ford's recent college grad incentive which would actually fully cover the $699 anyway. Of course, until we sign papers and take delivery I don't feel like we're out of the woods just yet, but this was a solid step.

crashdumie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
unknown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
contact the dealer and say you do not want or need that. it may be common practice that they do that to all their stock vehicle. but this is a custom order and you do not want that service.

22MavXLT

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 23 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealers do this all the time. For instance, we used to do tint work for a local GM dealer and they ALWAYS added tint, door edge guards and pinstripes for the whopping price of...$1100! We got paid $70 for each tint job (2drs on SUVs and Trucks, they didn't get full cars tinted), The door edge guards cost them $75 and the pinstripes we $60. And they were NON NEGOTIABLE. A local Toyota dealership charges $699 for tint, and it's not even a ceramic film and they do it in house and do crappy work. We can tint a full 4 door car for $295 using a full ceramic film and we warranty everything we do. I know it would be hard to walk away, but I would. I will never pay anything above sticker. It just don't make sense.

Sponsored

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

boy, sorry what a bunch of BS, our toyota dealer in our town has a # of so called add ons listed on the sticker.looked at a new toyota,after all the add ons etc, it was about $5,000 over sticker! and thats before you get into the "paperwork" our Ford dealer has No dealer fee even, no add ons , they are marking up some models that are on the lot, but if you ordered Im at sticker on the maverick and no add ons.( if we ever get one !!) they do try to push a service contract and ext warr, but you just say No thanks.

Cruiser5406

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I went to pick up my new Maverick a month ago, there was a $1295.00 wheel and tire protection add on in with the other normal but high doc fees and taxes etc. I guess he thought I wouldn't notice. I asked salesman politely to remove the charge and redo the paperwork before I would agree to the purchase. He removed it and I paid exactly the MSRP I expected to pay with zero added charges and I even got a 3.90 apr from Ford credit which my own bank couldn't meet! Happy with my purchase. I would ask them to remove the unnecessary items. It would have been a walk away deal breaker for me if they didn't. Stick to your guns....

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes it’s normal and my local dealerships do it. It’s a good way to get more money for the dealer: nonsensical over priced add-ons.

DannyP

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2017 Escape SE, 1929 Model A Coupe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was offered similar add on items by my dealer but had the opportunity to refuse them which I did.

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

It's not uncommon. Absolutely should have been disclosed at time of vehicle order.

Business practice of adding these items or ADM "Additional Dealer Markup" became much more common during vehicle shortages from supply chain and covid disruption of manufacturing.

You can walk away from the deal. You can attempt to negotiate the amount to a lower value.
Do you have a trade in?
Sponsored