Sponsored

What purchase add-ons should I consider adding to financing deal?

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Are you implying that there's a portion of this brand new vehicle that Ford DOESN'T cover for at least 36k miles - but that only an extended warranty would pay for?

I think I need examples. I've owned a lot of new cars over the course of my long life, and I have never needed or used an extended warranty before the manufacturer warranty expired.

In fact, I've only once had a big repair that MIGHT have been covered by an extended warranty, and that was a collapsed fuel tank at 128,000 miles.
I think wear items might be the only exception. But no, I think you are getting that from my comment about new tech? something like the Nissan belt CVTs when they first came out and were failing consistently at around 40k miles, and then against and again after 40kish miles. People with extended warranties were probably really happy to have them in those cases.

To be clear I don't buy extended warranties in general. I think there is only one case in my entire life that an extended warranty would have actually paid off (got a used car that was a bit of a lemon) and even in that case, an extended warranty would have only saved me a couple hundred.
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
None. Maybe GAP, but that's it

OP
OP
teebandit2

teebandit2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4 xlt 4k tow 360 copilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also check with your insurance. My insurance offers 10% over value if wrecked and it is only a few dollars a month. Way cheaper then gap insurance. It all depends on what percent of the vehicle you are financing. My last car I financed 100% (0% interest offer) of it so got cap coverage. The maverick I saved enough for a huge down payment so I don't need it.
I wasn't thinking about that. I planned on putting down a chunk of it

Down

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick/02 Z06 Vette
I think wear items might be the only exception. But no, I think you are getting that from my comment about new tech? something like the Nissan belt CVTs when they first came out and were failing consistently at around 40k miles, and then against and again after 40kish miles. People with extended warranties were probably really happy to have them in those cases.

To be clear I don't buy extended warranties in general. I think there is only one case in my entire life that an extended warranty would have actually paid off (got a used car that was a bit of a lemon) and even in that case, an extended warranty would have only saved me a couple hundred.
I never buy extended warranties on anything but a Ford ESP is one of the few warranties that makes me strongly consider one purely because of the tech. I'm not terribly worried about powertrain failures but I am concerned by stuff like:

Sync failure
Failure of all those nifty sensors that detect blind spots, or adaptive cruise control
And tons of similar, electrical items that can make your life suck

A warranty in those scenarios will save you THOUSANDS. I've had a Sync system start to go bad at 4 years/65k and my current 2017 Escape (with 45k miles) has already had multiple blind spot sensor failures. Like I said, I'm still not sure what I'll do but anyone who says there's no value in a decent extended warranty doesn't understand how expensive and fragile all this tech we get makes these vehicles.
Sponsored