Sponsored

Buschur's Front Mount Intercooler upgrades DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 bolt ev, 2018 focus 1.0 6sp, 84 gt, 84 capri
@Buschur I would assume that not only does this help in performance gains when upgrading/tuning but also would help prevent knock/ping on a stock truck towing near the max in hot/mountain towing?
That's why I did it even without tune charge temps where very high cruising with 3400pounds towing
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure over the years you have tested various painted/coated intercoolers. Just curious what kind of efficiency loss did you see, or what does that translate to loss on the DYNO?
The efficiency loss in this case is only what I’ve read. We have some paint here now approved for this use.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Buschur I would assume that not only does this help in performance gains when upgrading/tuning but also would help prevent knock/ping on a stock truck towing near the max in hot/mountain towing?
Yes, absolutely, the stock intercooler is too small for just a full 1/4 mile run, towing will out the temps through the roof.

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great! What were those 1/4 mile times?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great! What were those 1/4 mile times?
The tuning has been taking forever, so the 1/4 mile times have only been 13.93 on the Draggy. I'm going to hope to remedy that in the near future, going with yet another tuner to get through this.

Sponsored

Deerslayer1980

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The tuning has been taking forever, so the 1/4 mile times have only been 13.93 on the Draggy. I'm going to hope to remedy that in the near future, going with yet another tuner to get through this.
What tune do you have? Stock tires?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What tune do you have? Stock tires?
The truck has HP Tuners on in. Stock tires on it now, I previously had 31's on it, they lost a lot of power on the dyno, hurt the 1/4 mile times and milage.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Summer is here! Those intake air temps are going to get HOT HOT HOT.

Give us a call, we have our front mount kits in stock!

MikeA131

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Summer is here! Those intake air temps are going to get HOT HOT HOT.

Give us a call, we have our front mount kits in stock!
This may be a stupid question, but is this California legal? Not sure if changing an intercooler is CARB regulated or not. I really see the value in this and am interested for sure

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This may be a stupid question, but is this California legal? Not sure if changing an intercooler is CARB regulated or not. I really see the value in this and am interested for sure
I don't think changing anything on a vehicle is legal in California, this has ZERO effect on emissions and is never going to throw a light, we also now have intercooler paint so we can do them in black before shipping, nobody would ever know it's changed.

Sponsored

MikeA131

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I don't think changing anything on a vehicle is legal in California, this has ZERO effect on emissions and is never going to throw a light, we also now have intercooler paint so we can do them in black before shipping, nobody would ever know it's changed.
Haha yeah you're right about that as far as anything vehicle related in California. Very unfortunate because geographically it's such a great place to live, but politically it's very frustrating. The black sounds very intriguing, not sure about how it would look after all the rock chips lol, but I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the reply, I've really enjoyed following your threads on all the performance upgrades. It's almost like you're the only one developing serious performance parts for these things.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haha yeah you're right about that as far as anything vehicle related in California. Very unfortunate because geographically it's such a great place to live, but politically it's very frustrating. The black sounds very intriguing, not sure about how it would look after all the rock chips lol, but I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the reply, I've really enjoyed following your threads on all the performance upgrades. It's almost like you're the only one developing serious performance parts for these things.
Thank you. We can do it in standard un-painted, so it's aluminum, just was letting you know if you want to "camouflage" it we can do it for you.

Also agree completely on that state, it's a horrible mess.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
Some time slips will tell the story, stock and modified CAC.

DHouch1813

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Maverick XLT Lux, FX4 w/4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Right, but if a third of it isn't getting flow... Hope you got it for sale, maybe a third off at least.

The boys and girls across the pond toying with their Mk4 Focuses appear to have figured out how to do it right and fully utilize the space. But they finished it in black so I bet it doesn't work at all.
1648223491605.png
Did you swap with this one? Would it work on the Mav?

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone just removed the shutters for the cooler and tested temps? My 2.0 Fusion feels real good till 85 mph then falls on its face. Literally feels like it just drops 2 cylinders. I suspect those shutters close about 50mph and a couple seconds later at WOT the temps are so high the motor pulls timing. You can feel it happening
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.