Not open for further replies.

AzChrisW

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick FX4
After many weeks on the dyno and logging the truck we've found the heat to be the #1 issue with making more power. The catalytic converter temps, the intake temps post intercooler are both major issues to work around. ** Heat is almost always enemy number 1

The intercooler on the truck, no surprise, is a piece of garbage, yes, garbage. It is by far the lightest intercooler I've ever seen. The intercooler is there to remove heat from the intake charge after the air has been compressed by the turbo. A small lightweight intercooler can not do that job. The factory intercooler measures 2.5" thick, 25" long and 5.75" tall, giving it an overall basic volume of 359 cubic inches. ** Have you ever seen a top mount subaru set up :confused:

We have replaced that with a core made in the USA, bar and plate core that is 24"x6"x6" with an overall basic volume of 864 cubic inches. The core we are using is rated for 575 horsepower. This will keep the intake temps from climbing the ridiculous amount that they do now, provide much less pressure drop across the core and maintain good intake temps while towing. ** Not personally a fan of cores that think, i have my theories on airflow through the core and on to the A/C condenser and then Radiator, but where its mounted in the Maverick, I'm sure it will work out fine. Made in America- hell yeah Garrett core?

There is cutting required of the plastic around the intercooler. ** Anybody that thinks there wont be is fooling themselves.

The pictures are of the mocked up tanks, which are going out to be laser cut/bent today. The factory intercooler has a very unique connector on them, no clamps, similar to a wiggins type connections for those familiar with that. It's a great design and our intercooler will utilize those same factory connectors. Those will need to be CNC'd from aluminum and those samples are being dropped off today also. I'm hoping within two weeks we have dyno work, data and the intercoolers ready to ship. ** Thats neat Ford used that type of connections, they work good.

Pricing is hard to guess at this point because of the CNC work that will be required for the inlet/outlets. Right now I'm guessing the entire kit will come in around $750. ** Thats not terrible all things considered! If its a Garrett core, thats like $250 on its own.
Sponsored

AzChrisW

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick FX4
Both exist, but this is a regular air-air intercooler. Air-water intercoolers are uncommon as they are expensive and more complicated needing a pump and two heat exchangers and everything. Usually only seen on luxury vehicles where its built that way from the get-go or on some drag racing setups.
No where near as uncommon as you think, but yes, defiantly more expensive, complicated and heavy! Almost every single newer super charged vehicle uses then. Heck I even worked on a co workers 2016 (i think) Ford Fusion, with the 1.5L Ecoboost, the other day, and to my surprise it has a water to air heat exchanger in the intake manifold.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, we use to do a lot of parts and tuning for Subaru's, the top mount on those I'd say is still better than this POS they put on these trucks.

We do use Garrett cores but not in this case, these are Bell.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No where near as uncommon as you think, but yes, defiantly more expensive, complicated and heavy! Almost every single newer super charged vehicle uses then. Heck I even worked on a co workers 2016 (i think) Ford Fusion, with the 1.5L Ecoboost, the other day, and to my surprise it has a water to air heat exchanger in the intake manifold.
I've used water to air over the years, convince myself it's better, go through the mess to build/install and use them and in the end, for the street they suck and to make them work at the track it's a huge PITA to keep ice handy, change the water and in the end it's heavier than a good air-to-air.

AzChrisW

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick FX4
I've used water to air over the years, convince myself it's better, go through the mess to build/install and use them and in the end, for the street they suck and to make them work at the track it's a huge PITA to keep ice handy, change the water and in the end it's heavier than a good air-to-air.
I completely agree!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.