Sponsored
First Name
SwitchingtoFord?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
:love: YIPEEEE ! if this is true, i cancel my EB awd for this one, even if i have to wait another year.
Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a funny feeling a PHEV AWD Maverick is gonna be a seriously expensive proposition. You can go to the Ford website and build a decently optioned Escape SEL FWD, and the price rapidly closes in on $50,000. I hope they do some Maverick price magic again, but I'm not counting on it.

Don't count on those tax credits. Although maybe Congress will come through and lift the caps.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/05/f...pects-ev-tax-credits-to-dry-up-by-early-2023/

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you don't owe uncle sam at least $6800 then the fed credit is minimal. If u owe 0 then u get nothing.
While technically true, that's also misleading. So lets say you have taxes withheld so that most years you not only don't pay, but you get a refund. Does that mean you get $0 from the government if you buy a Kia EV or something? Nope. Instead of getting $500 refund, you can end up getting $7,300 refund.

Even though its a non-refundable tax credit, you just have to have paid INCLUDING your withheld money, at least $6800 for that year.

Pretty much anyone making at least $65K will have paid that much in taxes, and chances are if you make less than that you can't afford to buy a new EV anyway.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
I have a funny feeling a PHEV AWD Maverick is gonna be a seriously expensive proposition. You can go to the Ford website and build a decently optioned Escape SEL FWD, and the price rapidly closes in on $50,000. I hope they do some Maverick price magic again, but I'm not counting on it.

Don't count on those tax credits. Although maybe Congress will come through and lift the caps.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/05/f...pects-ev-tax-credits-to-dry-up-by-early-2023/
As much as I'm excited about and AWD Hybrid and PHEV at a certain price the Maverick looses its awesomeness.

The MSRP on my mav was 32 something and the window sticker when picked up said 35 something. Canadian Dollars. XLT Lux hybrid.

32 CAD was an affordable little truck with some awesome features. 35 CAD is getting up there. If its pushing 40 CAD to add AWD and even more PHEV the excitement is gone for me.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A PHEV Maverick seems like the next logical choice in my opinion if Ford wants to capitalize on this being a fuel efficient pickup truck. An AWD version should be great for the folks who are turned off about the standard hybrid from being front-drive only. Supposed we'll see PHEV variants of the the Bronco Sport and perhaps AWD available for the Escape PHEV around then?
I'm getting over 600 miles per tank, I think the Hybrid version is fuel efficient, however, if Ford wants to move towards more BEV's, the PHEV Maverick is the next logical step.

Sponsored

AngloSoup

First Name
Anglo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Beater
Less than two months before 2023 orders can be placed. It would be really nice if Ford let us know what options will be available and price..

If I can afford one, I'd like to go PHEV, could do without AWD. I'm guessing a PHEV will be above Lariat pricing though. Closing in on 30k?

How long before sales open do Ford usually give before they announce upcoming models and prices.

DetMav13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Less than two months before 2023 orders can be placed. It would be really nice if Ford let us know what options will be available and price..

If I can afford one, I'd like to go PHEV, could do without AWD. I'm guessing a PHEV will be above Lariat pricing though. Closing in on 30k?

How long before sales open do Ford usually give before they announce upcoming models and prices.
the escape SE PHEV has about a $7k difference than the SE. So probably somewhere in that ballpark.

i love PHEV’s -drove a volt for about 7 years, and own a rav4 prime now. The electric range covers about 95% of daily needs, and for longer trips just fill up as usual.

the smaller battery sizes make charging easier too - L1 will give a full charge over night (L2 much faster of course).

kind of hoping Ford does a ranger plug in first, as I’d like something a bit more rugged. But would happily order a MAV PHEV if they offered it first.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

PHEV won't be in the lineup until 2024. The order banks open up in July, so you will know what will be offered.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess that how you drive effects it. But with that said, just this morning my mileage to work in my Mav was great as shown in the pic. It’s usually in the 50’s, but every now and then you will have a much higher day. Coming home it was around 45. I don’t care about plugs and cords when I’m achieving this.
As I understand it you don't HAVE to plug in a PHEV. If you don't it will operate just like a regular hybrid. But if you have the ability to plug in you can drive full electric up to the limit of the battery. Typically 25 to 45 miles depending on model. So if your daily commute is 25 miles you can be all electric with recharging at home. And still have the ability to use gas on longer trips.
If you get 40mpg and gas is $3 your cost is .075 per mile, with electric it is on average .0388 per mile or about half. And that average includes a lot of older EV's that are not as efficient. Gas @ $5 takes your cost per mile to .125 or 3 times the cost of electric. And if you have solar your electric cost is minimal or zero.
PHEV are not for everyone but in some use cases really save you money. Of course they are also almost always heavier and more expensive so that has to be calculated in as well.
I have excess solar right now so a PHEV would have nearly zero fuel cost for my daily use.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A hybird fx4 with max towing would sell really well if that what that is.

Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
probably testing this platform for their upcoming EV van or Hybrid small delivery van. 🤷🏼‍♂️

They do need to make an awd hybrid maverick if they plan to stay ahead of toyota. When toyota comes out with a compact truck, it will be awd hybrid, not just FWD. (may be like corolla cross hybrid and Rav4 hybrid where awd is the only way you can get a hybrid)
i think that will be out by 2026.. the Toyta awd hybrid..

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We just caught another interesting Ford Maverick prototype with cues suggesting that an AWD hybrid variant is in the works. This time it even hints at a PHEV version, judging by what is written on a piece of the test equipment.

This latest Maverick prototype is a bit old-school, as it still has leftover camouflage from the earliest Maverick test vehicles. The prototype has much of its original front-end camouflage still in place, along with the faux bed cap that was designed to give the Maverick the appearance of an enclosed SUV. All that is curious, but what’s most eye-opening is what’s on the door—a bolted on junction box that may be a mocked-up plug-in battery port.

Cabling comes from underneath the vehicle and leads to the junction box, which has some interesting information written on its outer case. While some of the notations are a little murky (due to resolution and shaky penmanship), there is an entry that appears to read “PHEV” with “2.1L” written immediately below. A beefy input that could be a plug-in battery charger is installed on the junction box near the “PHEV” lettering. The “2.1L” is curious, as it would seem to be an engine displacement designation of 2.1-liters, which doesn’t match up to the usual 2.5-liter engine in the Maverick hybrid, or the Ford Escape PHEV, so that clearly raises questions.

There are also notations of “Base Weight”, with two numbers scrawled on the box (one of which has been crossed out). The two numbers that refer to the “Base Weight” are “1684” (crossed out). and a new entry of “1790”. Those numbers don’t make sense in pounds, but they make perfect sense if the designation represents kilograms. Considering that there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram, the two numbers would equal roughly 3,705 pounds in the initial, crossed-out entry, and 3,938 pounds on what appears to be the final written entry. A 3938 pound Maverick would easily be the heaviest number ever associated with the small truck, which would make sense. Here’s why:

The Maverick prototype caught here would have additional weight from the supposed PHEV system, which would require more connection hardware, and a larger battery pack to enable full-EV driving, as is available on most PHEV offerings—the Ford Escape PHEV, included. There is also the fact that this prototype is equipped with the Independent Rear Suspension design that currently signals an AWD-equipped Maverick. Pairing a new PHEV set-up with an AWD Maverick would result in the heaviest-possible combination, and it would seem to fall right in line with a 3,939-pound version of Ford’s entry-level truck.

The lightest Maverick is the FWD 2.0L EcoBoost, which weighs in at 3563 pounds, followed by the FWD 2.5L Hybrid, which clocks in at 3,674. The heaviest Maverick at launch is the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost model, which weighs 3,731 pounds. Considering that of the two FWD Mavericks, the Hybrid is rated at 111 pounds heavier, that number could be doubled with the addition of another battery pack for a PHEV system, or 222 pounds. Add 222 pounds to the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick’s Base Curb Weight brings you to 3,953 pounds—a bit more than the 3,939 pounds potentially listed on the prototype, but it’s all in the range of possibility.

The Maverick, as designed, has space for an expanded battery pack that would be required in a PHEV variant. The Hybrid Maverick requires a higher rear floor to accommodate its current 1.1-kWh batter, but the battery only consumes the passenger side—leaving ample space for more battery capacity without massive repackaging.

In summary, this could be a sign that Ford is testing an early version of an AWD PHEV Maverick, for possible inclusion in its model-mix. It would be an intriguing addition to the Maverick lineup, making an ultra-efficient trucklet even more so, with the potential for some pure EV driving and additional battery assist. All without the penalty and sacrifice required in the current Maverick Hybrid, which is FWD-only.

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-1.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-2.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-3.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-4.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-5.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-6.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-7.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-8.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-9.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-10.jpg
I really wouldn’t argue with an AWD Hybrid or PHEV version of the Maverick, but I want some more creature comforts, a panoramic moon roof, sync 4, a digital dash, or even blue cruise (that’s a long shot though).

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess I could ask CPA how much additional 401k withdrawal I could make to zero out the phess they change the rulesev rebate. But I think that Ford is about to lose the ability for it's buyers to take the rebate unless the rules are changed.

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the escape SE PHEV has about a $7k difference than the SE. So probably somewhere in that ballpark.
Your estimate is likely to be right.

But important to remember that difference does not represent anywhere near the product cost difference. The PHEV price is artificially bumped up because of the tax credit. All the manufacturers have been doing this to basically leverage the credits for profit rather than affordability. Once the credit expires, the price will suddenly drop a near equivalent amount, as was the case with the Bolt.

So if you can’t use the full tax credit, don’t buy the PHEV because you will be overpaying. Better to wait until the price drops after expiration of the credits. Ford is pretty close to the 200k cap, so it won’t be long.
Sponsored