Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remember when it used to be a great site with actual good info and interesting ENTHUSIAST perspectives, now it's just a bunch of overprivileged social justice warriors injecting their brainwashed perspectives into everything automotive. I refuse to even give them a click anymore, I want to go there to read about cars and trucks, not some over-educated rich kid's take on the political spectrum and how it very loosely relates to the automotive realm.
Agreed. Unfortunately, most of the world is thus way because it's what they're taught and told to think, otherwise there's is backlash. They don't know any different. Sad, really.
Sponsored

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-maverick-is-a-great-truck-its-also-part-of-t-1848666323

Apologies if this is a repost... I looked and did not see it.

IMHO, this article has it completely wrong.

What would I buy if it wasn't available? Probably would have leased another Honda Accord.. and would probably have been a hybrid.

BUT..... I wanted a truck. I have always wanted a truck. I just have not wanted a truck that gets 15 MPG.... EVER. I also didn't want to pay F150/Ranger prices for a truck. I ordered a Tesla truck... but cancelled my order when I placed the order for a Maverick (which I am glad I did... have you seen the production model?)
You didn’t want to pay F150/Ranger prices but you contemplated a cyber truck???

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This article was even more incoherent than the average Jalopnik trash.

That being said, the Maverick is 100% a replacement at the lower end for the sedans and hatchbacks they used to make, most of which were garbage mechanically.

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read the article, scanning it quickly, it is all OPINION - one that the author wants to bring to light "his appreciation" for the simplicity of owning a car. He opines that most people do not need a larger truck type vehicle - I would count and opine that is true, and "to each their own".... overall, it was a waste of his time to write the article. And now a waste of my time in this response!!! :mad: :LOL: o_O
I was waiting for the author to make a case that buyers should buy as small as possible due to material consumption (both raw metals and fuel) to which I would have to concede is a good point if you're against the planet boiling in the reasonably near future.. however I agree with you they basically just left it as his vehicle taste is 'right' and everyone should see the light, which is a pretty shit take

Sponsored

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The author recognizes that the Maverick is an inexpensive, small, high gas mileage vehicle. So what exactly is this "Problem" it is "Part of"? I found the answer near the end of the article:

The problem is we don't know a "sensible body style" when we see one.

I look forward to his next article, which details the moral decline suffered when otherwise sane coupe-driving motorists abandon their senses and are seduced by the sedan.
Who is he to dictate what kind of vehicle has a "sensible body style?" We all have different needs so what seems to be "sensible" for him may not be for us.

For what I use a vehicle for, a truck makes the most sense. The only other option would be a small cargo van like the Transit Connect. And then I'd be paying another $5K in order to put a roof over the head of the cargo.

Why would I want to do that?

The-Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Disagree. The shame resides with other automakers who have continually raised prices on mid tier offerings without offering the hybrid engines. They've priced themselves out of the segment. There's no way you're not going to take a 22k Maverick over a 31k hybrid CRV/Rav4.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
https://jalopnik.com/the-ford-maverick-is-a-great-truck-its-also-part-of-t-1848666323

What would I buy if it wasn't available? Probably would have leased another Honda Accord.. and would probably have been a hybrid.

BUT..... I wanted a truck. I have always wanted a truck. I just have not wanted a truck that gets 15 MPG.... EVER. I also didn't want to pay F150/Ranger prices for a truck. I ordered a Tesla truck... but cancelled my order when I placed the order for a Maverick (which I am glad I did... have you seen the production model?)
I agree with the article .

However, if America produced more stuff here rather than outsourcing around the world I think other car companies could fill the void of "Cars". The lack of production is the problem, not Ford's decision to be a Truck only company with a vision of a car based truck.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Jalopnik sucks. They have no idea what they are talking about half the time. Most of their articles are clickbait.
That is because it is written by AI. Usually you feed the AI the talking points and it fills in the rest with poorly worded garbage that looks like it was written by someone who English is a third language.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No i think it is one of the most moronic articles I've ever read on Jalopnik. That drivers can only be big burly men who use their truck for work daily or they need to be some fuel sipping liberal damnd to a eco sedan for life?

Author seems genuinely hacked off he can't buy a 2022 Fiesta so he's going to paint everyone into boxes and scold manufacturers for delivering a vehicle the public has clamored for now for quite some time.

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I lived in Manhattan, I drove a Smart around for running work errands. Literally would have boards through the roof from Home Depot (had soft top cabrio). It sucked but got the job done. This article highlights that probably 90% of us don’t need a truck. What it doesn’t cover is how practical a truck is. With our soft roll cover, we can load groceries and smaller items away from elements and tie-downs just fine. When we pick up a dresser off Craigslist, take our bikes to the trail, pick up dirty bags of mulch and gravel for spring yard work, etc etc. the pickup truck makes so much more sense.
sure we could use our car for some of those items but it would get filthy and isn’t really made for that type of hauling. So if people can do all that, 80% not needing AWD, then there is a great fuel efficient vehicle. And FFS… stop comparing the Hyundai Santa Cruz. It’s expensive, not efficient, and just a marketing gimmick by Hyundai who knew what Ford had coming… I see visually it’s a car/truck thing but I don’t want “luxury” or soft touch piano black blah blah blah… I want a truck… something I can get some dirt on, a tailgate ding, some bed liner scratches, curb rash, etc. and that’s okay because that’s what it’s for.

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided

"I also didn't want to pay F150/Ranger prices for a truck. I ordered a Tesla truck... but cancelled my order when I placed the order for a Maverick (which I am glad I did... have you seen the production model?)"
Well this is a confusing statement! You are cross shopping one of the most inexpensive pick ups ever with a $150,000 Tesla?

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I lived in Manhattan, I drove a Smart around for running work errands. Literally would have boards through the roof from Home Depot (had soft top cabrio). It sucked but got the job done. This article highlights that probably 90% of us don’t need a truck. What it doesn’t cover is how practical a truck is. With our soft roll cover, we can load groceries and smaller items away from elements and tie-downs just fine. When we pick up a dresser off Craigslist, take our bikes to the trail, pick up dirty bags of mulch and gravel for spring yard work, etc etc. the pickup truck makes so much more sense.
sure we could use our car for some of those items but it would get filthy and isn’t really made for that type of hauling. So if people can do all that, 80% not needing AWD, then there is a great fuel efficient vehicle. And FFS… stop comparing the Hyundai Santa Cruz. It’s expensive, not efficient, and just a marketing gimmick by Hyundai who knew what Ford had coming… I see visually it’s a car/truck thing but I don’t want “luxury” or soft touch piano black blah blah blah… I want a truck… something I can get some dirt on, a tailgate ding, some bed liner scratches, curb rash, etc. and that’s okay because that’s what it’s for.
Great response! BTW I did buy ($45k Total) the Hyundai Santa Cruz, again, to each their own; I really like this Limited SC. For all of the reasons and more, that you summarize. I wanted more of a car, than a full out truck. The Maverick will accommodate that nicely... I just wish the Maverick(s) I have on order would have been available before I needed the SC. I had been without a car for 8 months and Share riding (arguably got me CoVid ) was a pain in the A$$! The bicycling was great, and it has paid off, I am back into the desire and love to get out on my bike! That's all... just my story and opinion.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our local pizza shop sells a pizza that requires our Flex fold its back seats flat so you can lay it down in the back. It doesn't fit in a compact sedan. It is comically huge!
Ah yes, the massive ~24" pizzas. I haven't seen one of those in quite some time.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick wouldn’t be popular if it was priced 10k higher across trim levels. It’s cheap entry level transportation that replaces the fusion and, the fiesta and focus in hybrid trim.

It’s the price point along with the idea of its a truck for most people.
Absolutely, I replaced my Wife's second Fiesta SE (2016 88k with miles. it had 8 miles on it when I bought it for her) she loves her Maverick and I like the added safety features for her too. It's and XLT AWD with The Luxury Package and the Ford 360 plus some other stuff in Hot Pepper Red. It'll handle everything she needs and wants to do and if there's a situation where more is needed we'll use my 150 (and yes I use it for the reasons I purchased it for;)
Sponsored