Sponsored

The great answer I received from a local Ford Autonation part representative when trying to buy a Ford part for my truck locally.

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today I went to the local Ford Autonation dealer to inquiry about a part I wanted to buy for my 2022 Ford Maverick XL.

The part I was looking for was the locking tailgate part that I saw online for about $76.00. I decided I wanted to buy the part locally. The local dealer quoted me about $154.00 for the part. When I informed the part representative the part can be sourced online for about $75.00 and $10.00 deliver, he told me he was quoting me instate pricing. What I am seeing online is out of state pricing. I just looked at him and said thank you and left.

I ordered the part with out of state pricing. 😎
Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Parts businesses love to charge Joe Schmoe off the street a lot more than they would an installer shop. I get 25% off through my local Ford dealer via my business account and I'm not even buying from them that exceptionally often. NAPA typically something like 50% off list although I've occasionally seen items like $100 filters where my price was almost 75% off.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Today I went to the local Ford Autonation dealer to inquiry about a part I wanted to buy for my 2022 Ford Maverick XL.

The part I was looking for was the locking tailgate part that I saw online for about $76.00. I decided I wanted to buy the part locally. The local dealer quoted me about $154.00 for the part. When I informed the part representative the part can be sourced online for about $75.00 and $10.00 deliver, he told me he was quoting me instate pricing. What I am seeing online is out of state pricing. I just looked at him and said thank you and left.

I ordered the part with out of state pricing. 😎
I would have maybe said a different word before "you." The fact that he basically stood there and told you to your face he was shafting you, like it was no big deal, is insane. And people wonder why brick and mortar retail isn't thriving.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not just Ford, I buy parts for my wife's Subaru Outback online from Subaru dealers hundreds or thousands of miles away at significant savings over my local dealer.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealerships rarely have the storage space for retail part sales. Their parts departments are there to support the service side though most sell retail as a customer convenience, usually with next day or even same day delivery. They likely get those parts from where the OP ended up getting them but through a regional hub, then though a zone hub. Ford has a fleet of delivery vans and trucks supplying the dealerships from those hubs for quick turn around.
Not the best place for retail buying.

Sponsored

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I needed to order a hood support clip for my Ford Ecosport. My local ford dealer (Tamaimi Ford), quoted me ~$25 for the part. Coconut Ford, about 15 miles North quoted $10. Neither had the part in stock.

When I asked Coconut Ford to order the part, they told me to order it on Fordparts.com and have it delivered to their dealership for pickup the next day. When I went to the website to order the part, I checked on the cost to get it delivered to Tamaimi Ford (which was a lot closer to me), and low and behold, the price was $10. Ordered the part on-line and it was at the dealership at 10AM the next morning.

Fordparts.com is your friend!

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I needed Ford parts for my truck and offroad shop (since sold), I used to buy from the local family-owned Ford dealer 2 miles away at their version of "jobber" pricing. When they sold out to a large group dealership, the new management eliminated our discount, so we ended up switching to another dealer 13 miles away for better pricing and free delivery to us. Some dealerships just don't like cutting anyone a break.
Sponsored