First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can apply a wax over coating. I apply a strong sealant over my coatings so that the sealant is taking the brunt of the elements and the coating is preserved under it just like the clear coat is preserved under the coating. Theoretically, you do this and the coating will last damn near the cars lifespan.
Sorry for all the questions: (be easier if you just wrote a book)

Have a brand name for a "Sealant" to top off the Ceramic Coating???
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No theyā€™re all done in a specific pattern. We take multiple readings of each panel to get accurate results. You can go from bottom of door to top of door and see a 1-2 Mil difference easily. Makes you wonder what in the world theyre doing in the paint booth. All four corners of each and every panel gets hit and a reading or two in the middle. Tailgate was a no-go, all readings were 2.2/2.3. Bottom of driver door was 2.5/2.6. Driver passenger was all just under 3 Mils. Roof and Hood had the 4 Mils and everything else was pretty much low 3s. I can post a report I did recently on a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 that had 3-4x the paint I have on my Maverick. Itā€™ll make more sense.

View attachment 51347 View attachment 51348 View attachment 51349 View attachment 51350
That's a big difference in paint thicknesses when compared to the results you got on the Maverick!

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
No theyā€™re all done in a specific pattern. We take multiple readings of each panel to get accurate results. You can go from bottom of door to top of door and see a 1-2 Mil difference easily. Makes you wonder what in the world theyre doing in the paint booth. All four corners of each and every panel gets hit and a reading or two in the middle. Tailgate was a no-go, all readings were 2.2/2.3. Bottom of driver door was 2.5/2.6. Driver passenger was all just under 3 Mils. Roof and Hood had the 4 Mils and everything else was pretty much low 3s. I can post a report I did recently on a brand new Dodge Ram 1500 that had 3-4x the paint I have on my Maverick. Itā€™ll make more sense.

View attachment 51347 View attachment 51348 View attachment 51349 View attachment 51350
Thanks. This is great information. Iā€™m no expert in automotive assembly line painting but I have to guess that some body panel members are painted differently from othersā€¦ā€¦dip vs spray vs ā€¦ā€¦?

Sponsored

Dulce21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 3 series
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m just gonna start by saying that these Mavericks are already head turners when theyā€™re out in the wildā€¦ But now this thing straight up is snapping necks.

Finally had the time to detail my truck properly. It was washed, decontaminated and pretty much every surface is now ceramic coated. Paint was in such good shape after washing and prep, that I fortunately didnā€™t have to do any paint correction. This is rare but shows how taking the proper precautions and making sure your vehicle is in professional hands can save you a lot of time and money. This truck is Ceramic Coated so itā€™s UV protected, itā€™s going to stay cleaner for alot longer, itā€™s going to stay looking glossy and cleaning it is going to be a piece of cake thanks to the low surface energy and high contact angle the ceramic coating provides. This is going to protect my vehicle from things like bird scat, insect acid, hard water, acid rain, road salt and much more.

Here are a few thoughts..

1.) Donā€™t let your dealer touch the truck. This is going to prevent you from having to pay to fix any scratches/imperfections they administer. This is important because polishing is where youā€™re going to spend your money at the detail shop.

Warning: these trucks have little to no paint on them.. (more later on)

2.) Find an certified detailer with proper knowledge and experience and donā€™t let joe shmoe touch your truck. You get what you pay for quite literally in the detailing industry. You can always find someone to do it cheaper, but thatā€™s not necessarily better. Youā€™ll usually end up paying another detailer to fix the first ones mistakes. In this case, not hiring a professional could easily lead to them burning through the little paint you have trying to correct it.

3.)PAINT IS THIN
This is so important. If you or your detailer are going to polish the truck in any way, they NEED to do a paint reading with a paint depth gauge. Paint preservation is most important.
I was shocked at how little clear coat was on certain parts of my truck and had I not taken the right precautions and measured the paint, Iā€™d be in a lot of trouble. Luckily I had no dealer instilled scratches or swirls and I was able to simply wash, carefully decontaminate the paint with an iron remover, sap remove, tar remover and followed up with a careful claybar. No user inflicted marring. Had I not been experienced at this, this would have been a turning point in the project for a lot of people. Iā€™m shocked at how thin the paint is and so thankful I am not busting out the polisher. Below are pictures of the process and what I saw.

4.)Plastic almost appears to have a coating of some sort on it. I ceramic coated mine but it almost didnā€™t want to take the coating. Hopefully we wonā€™t see fading down the road like we do with most vehicles with this type of exterior surface. Whether your coating it or restoring it down the road, remember these pieces are very porous and get clogged with contamination. It needs to be cleaned properly or you wonā€™t get proper adhesion.

Here are pictures of the process, hope you enjoy.

Before:
1BC6DC06-A7C9-4C3C-99A6-4CACCAC48A97.jpeg

After:
506DCA0B-C63E-459B-AC6F-B3A1A59A974F.jpeg

Clay After Decon: lots of dirt and grime embedded into the clear coat

8A1F8201-90B5-461A-8A9D-6DE1D8122CB7.jpeg

Paint After Clay: No visible scratches or marring when done right
BFD6942F-2CB3-47F1-AF40-E2A0F5A80B0C.jpeg

Measuring The Paint:

EEEFF6A7-58B4-43DF-8BCE-1066AFC74C58.jpeg

Results: For Reference, you can assume you have about 1.5-2. Mils of base/color coat on a car. 1 Mil is .001 of an inch. For reference, a post it note is 3 Mils thick. So most cars paint is thinner than a post it note. Most new cars have about the same amount of clear coat, sometimes less and sometimes more. After reading as low as 2.28 on some places thatā€™s a sign there is very little to no clear coat on these vehicles.

B6A54376-FA5A-4AF6-8A28-8CAA2B303C8E.png

Coating Time:
Gtechniq CSL Followed By ExoV4
42D74B2F-10DF-46A1-BBF7-15EC40E61692.jpeg

Beyond happy with the results!!!
058CCBD1-43E5-48A3-8C70-D034D176D710.jpeg
48BE4EB3-9817-4FD8-BCC3-3076D255B77A.jpeg
7DF60192-8096-4C53-A06D-9621534A8AD3.jpeg
81CF2647-F9AB-402E-BF30-B1AE845F3D0A.jpeg
A7D81892-CD63-49B0-877C-53016F9C2887.jpeg
1BEBCE95-ECD0-48A6-AAE9-7A97C83B0ECF.jpeg
2C22C2A4-BAA9-4748-AC60-3446283A4A77.jpeg

Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading!!!
Hi I had my maverick ceramic coated and wrapped all the front. I love the results and would do it again.

Sponsored

Bob W

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow this truck looks amazing!!! Any recommendations where I can find a similar level of work in Los Angeles?
Phenomenal difference! Know anyone in the Phoenix area?

AUTUS_FL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK XLT HYBRD;2021 HONDA REBEL 1100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah I have, at the shop I used to work at we used XPEL Fusion Plus over all of our XPEL PPF jobs. Solid stuff IMO.
I am also wondering, will the ceramic coating protect the paint from rock chips and scratches at some degree? Thanks again!

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™m just gonna start by saying that these Mavericks are already head turners when theyā€™re out in the wildā€¦ But now this thing straight up is snapping necks.

Finally had the time to detail my truck properly. It was washed, decontaminated and pretty much every surface is now ceramic coated. Paint was in such good shape after washing and prep, that I fortunately didnā€™t have to do any paint correction. This is rare but shows how taking the proper precautions and making sure your vehicle is in professional hands can save you a lot of time and money. This truck is Ceramic Coated so itā€™s UV protected, itā€™s going to stay cleaner for alot longer, itā€™s going to stay looking glossy and cleaning it is going to be a piece of cake thanks to the low surface energy and high contact angle the ceramic coating provides. This is going to protect my vehicle from things like bird scat, insect acid, hard water, acid rain, road salt and much more.

1.) Donā€™t let your dealer touch the truck. This is going to prevent you from having to pay to fix any scratches/imperfections they administer. This is important because polishing is where youā€™re going to spend your money at the detail shop.

2.) Find an certified detailer with proper knowledge and experience and donā€™t let joe shmoe touch your truck. You get what you pay for quite literally in the detailing industry. You can always find someone to do it cheaper, but thatā€™s not necessarily better. Youā€™ll usually end up paying another detailer to fix the first ones mistakes. In this case, not hiring a professional could easily lead to them burning through the little paint you have trying to correct it.

3.)PAINT IS THIN
This is so important. If you or your detailer are going to polish the truck in any way, they NEED to do a paint reading with a paint depth gauge. Paint preservation is most important.
I was shocked at how little clear coat was on certain parts of my truck and had I not taken the right precautions and measured the paint, Iā€™d be in a lot of trouble. Luckily I had no dealer instilled scratches or swirls and I was able to simply wash, carefully decontaminate the paint with an iron remover, sap remove, tar remover and followed up with a careful claybar. No user inflicted marring. Had I not been experienced at this, this would have been a turning point in the project for a lot of people. Iā€™m shocked at how thin the paint is and so thankful I am not busting out the polisher. Below are pictures of the process and what I saw.

4.)Plastic almost appears to have a coating of some sort on it. I ceramic coated mine but it almost didnā€™t want to take the coating. Hopefully we wonā€™t see fading down the road like we do with most vehicles with this type of exterior surface. Whether your coating it or restoring it down the road, remember these pieces are very porous and get clogged with contamination. It needs to be cleaned properly or you wonā€™t get proper adhesion.

Before:

After:

Measuring The Paint:

Results: For Reference, you can assume you have about 1.5-2. Mils of base/color coat on a car. 1 Mil is .001 of an inch. For reference, a post it note is 3 Mils thick. So most cars paint is thinner than a post it note. Most new cars have about the same amount of clear coat, sometimes less and sometimes more. After reading as low as 2.28 on some places thatā€™s a sign there is very little to no clear coat on these vehicles.

Coating Time:

Your post has inspired me to ceramic coat mine. I'm not a professional detailer, but I do I have a YouTube premium account. LOL I plan on giving her a wash, iron remover, claybar, and then ceramic coat. Are you familiar with Ethos Pro Ceramic Wax? What are your thoughts?

Icatchshrimp

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla

3.)PAINT IS THIN

Before:

After:

Measuring The Paint:

Coating Time:

Thatā€™s amazing results. Thanks for sharing

Ranchlife

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy PU,Toyota PU,YJ JEEP,Fusion,Elantra,Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

3.)PAINT IS THIN

Before:

After:

Measuring The Paint:

Coating Time:

Damn...that is nice, completely changes the color.
Sponsored