Sponsored

Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Start providing the context that makes your statements true, and I'll stop pointing it out.

Based on the models you've mentioned, you have experience with NiMH batteries. These batteries have a known life expectancy and will need replacement.

Do you have experience with Li-ion technology? Have Li-ion batteries ever failed in one of your hybrids?. We have had large numbers of C-Max drivers reach the 250K mile range with no negative impact on hybrid operation or achieved mileage. The issues with Li-ion involve high charge levels and high temperatures, both plug-in issues. A water cooled hybrid battery is unlikely to see either stress, and will function very well at 80% of new capacity.

I am sorry. Nickel or lithium, ALL batteries fail. It's just a matter of when. Doesn't matter if it's the energizer aa in your remote, the Nickle in your drill, the lithium in your car, or even the massive Tesla batts....they all have a life expectancy
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Stop kvetching every time I specifically mention it was in a different vehicle.

And your statement of it will never have to be replaced is BS. We’re that true Ford would not put the specific limits of the battery warranty being replacement of system age/range capacity matching replacement or better.

no it will not be the 75k of the Honda, but if I go 300k like I have in every other vehicle are you going to pay for the replacement that will never happen according to you?
From the Ford Maverick manual:

"How long is the high voltage battery
system designed to last?
The high voltage battery system is
designed to last the life of your vehicle"

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am sorry. Nickel or lithium, ALL batteries fail
This.

And all engines wear out too.

Half of this debate looks to have missed the point about whether hybrid components, like the HV battery, will fail _earlier_ than its gas counterpart. In other words: is the long term investment better for EcoBoost. Anyone seen a reason to expect that EB would be longer living? I don't.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
From the Ford Maverick manual:

"How long is the high voltage battery
system designed to last?
The high voltage battery system is
designed to last the life of your vehicle"
Which simply means that they expect the vehicle to last as long as the battery. I am sure on average this will be true, as every time a vehicle is scrapped due to an accident etc it will also be counted as EOL for the battery.

oh but wait I already posted the language from the warranty manual.

folks there are all kinds of ways that statistics work

even at the most basic level we know average does not mean every one is the same.

I drive vehicles for 300k miles because I am meticulous in maintenance and driving. But there will be someone somewhere who drives a maverick off the lot and totals it first day. When you average mine and his it will average 150k

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Some stuff to consider about hybrid batteries...
They are just as effected, if not more so, by time "as in years" as they are miles. Their are guys using Priuses for Taxi service, that have over 500,000 miles on the original hybrid battery and they are still going ! And then their are people who have mostly let them sit on the driveway, and the batteries were dead in 10 years.... with less than 100,000 miles on them.

I hang around the taxi group more (doing rideshare) and I don't know anyone who has had to replace their hybrid batteries in their Priuses. My buddy has a 2019 with 160K miles on it, and it is not showing any battery loss whatsoever. Also, he and I often sit for hours with the AC cranked, stereo on, etc, running off of mostly just the battery, but the ICE cycles on for about 1 minute, every 15 or 20 minutes to charge the big battery, then right back off.

Sponsored

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a 2005 Prius with 93k miles and it is still on the original hybrid battery even though I keep in it the driveway under the hot Florida sun.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
...ALL batteries fail. It's just a matter of when. ... they all have a life expectancy
That's very true. My question is if we know Li-ion life expectancy.

I don't think mature Li-ion technology has existed long enough to have any idea what the intrinsic life might be. We have a collection of failure modes that all contain a pathologically element, the absence of which eliminated the failure. Heat, high charge, and the combination are the known weaknesses of Li-ion, as is damage.

What's going to kill a liquid cooled battery that's rarely outside the 30-70% charge range? I maintain we don't know yet.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's very true. My question is if we know Li-ion life expectancy.

I don't think mature Li-ion technology has existed long enough to have any idea what the intrinsic life might be. We have a collection of failure modes that all contain a pathologically element, the absence of which eliminated the failure. Heat, high charge, and the combination are the known weaknesses of Li-ion, as is damage.

What's going to kill a liquid cooled battery that's rarely outside the 30-70% charge range? I maintain we don't know yet.
I maintain we do. As the warranty is 8 year 100k they battery will die in 8 years and one day or at 100000.1 miles. Unless your in cali

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They don’t list Ford products. Which other would be the closest for comparison?
I do not know which Would be closest comparison. I did find out that some companies will come to you to replace the battery, kinda like a windshield replacement

CaptTee

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda C-RV
I have read the article about the NYC taxis. One thing to consider, at the time of writing, those batteries had very high miles, but were not necessarily old; the article referenced 70,000-80,000 a year, meaning those batteries could be less than 5 years old. That being said, I believe age plays a part in degradation, as well as charge cycles.

Still, I'm not very concerned. It's a technology that was developed by Ford (and Toyota) that has been proven in Ford (and Toyota) cars to be reliable. I was anti-CVT until I learned this, now I'm all in.
I've had Honda cars and SUVs with CVTs for years. I prefer them, because there never is a clunk when shifting gears, because they don't "Shift gears". A variable gear just rotates to a different position based on your speed giving you smoother acceleration.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I've had Honda cars and SUVs with CVTs for years. ...
We really need to call those things mCVTs, if no one will remember that eCVTs are nothing like them. Mechanical CVTs are nothing like eCVTs.

docsmith1511

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT LUX velocity blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what the life expectancy might be for the hybrid battery and what the cost will be to replace it?
I've read all the posts so far and just want to give you my experience. I bought a new 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid March 28th 2009 for the hybrid rebate, stationed in New Orleans, San Diego, and Massachusetts. Extremes in cold and heat and have several cross country trips with 100k on it. The mileage per gallon has gone down about 2 but that's after 12 yrs and 9 months. I have tried to find a replacement for my Escape but nothing seemed to measure up until the Maverick Hybrid. Ordered 8/02/2021.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
Look up replacement costs for a Second Gen Ford Fusion hybrid battery. They are about the same size in KWh. You can get batteries pulled from wrecks for ~$500 plus labor to install, or a rebuilt pack from a company like Greentec auto for $3k. I believe the ford replacement cost is ~$5K.

Packs have been been lasting >200K miles in fusions, prius, and other hybrids.
Sponsored